Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 Predictions: Week 5

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 3 4 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/16/2012 5:41:25 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Thanks DM. We so much appreciate you doing this. I really look forward to this each week.
+1 permalink
3/16/2012 8:26:36 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
BeaverBob wrote:
[font=Helvetica, arial]ASU 2-1[/font]
[font=Helvetica, arial]OSU 2-1[/font]
[font=Helvetica, arial]UO 2-1[/font]
[font=Helvetica, arial]Ariz 2-1[/font]
[font=Helvetica, arial]USC 3-0[/font]

I get the same brackets when I copied and pasted. If you type it in manually, the brackets go away.
0 permalink
3/16/2012 10:36:22 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Pick analysis
  • Biggest favorite this week: USC 15/0 to win with 14 sweeps.
  • Second favorite is Arizona, also 15/0 to win, with 5 sweeps.
  • Oregon comes in third with 13/2 and 2 sweeps.
  • OSU is favored over Cal 11/4, with each team getting one sweep vote. But with the number of Golden Beaver fans on this board, I'd say the reliability of this number is most suspect, and that this series is probably going to be a lot closer than the predictions indicate.
  • The closest series is UCLA 9/6 over ASU, with neither team getting a sweep vote.
0 permalink
3/16/2012 11:49:42 AM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Beavers and Bears game today has been rained out. A double header is planned for Saturday starting at noon.

http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/031612aaa.html
0 permalink
3/16/2012 11:50:53 AM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Thanks for the tip RD.

Riverduck wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:
ASU 2-1
OSU 2-1
UO 2-1
Ariz 2-1
USC 3-0

I get the same brackets when I copied and pasted. If you type it in manually, the brackets go away.
0 permalink
3/16/2012 1:54:34 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
The Dicks and the Dogs will play a double header on Saturday. The Sunday game was moved to Saturday.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2012/03/oregon_will_play_double-header.html
0 permalink
3/16/2012 3:23:20 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
BeaverBob wrote:
The Dicks and the Dogs will play a double header on Saturday. The Sunday game was moved to Saturday.

I was a bit disappointed at first because my plan was to listen to the Golden Beavers, but I instead am watching the George Fox Bruins take on Amherst in the D-III Women's basketball final four. GFU (Newberg, Oregon) is undefeated, as they were in 2009 when they won the national championship.
http://www.ncaa.com/championship/liveplayer/player?gameId=216842

For you Beaver fans, George Fox is where Oregon State found Beaver baseball coaches Pat Casey and Pat Bailey (who won the D-III baseball championship there in 2004) and women's basketball coach Scott Rueck (who led the Bruins to that title in 2009). Plus, Pat Casey's brother Chris Casey will be the head football coach at GFU when they reinstate football in 2014.

Go Bruins!
0 permalink
3/16/2012 4:54:45 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Sorry to mix hoops (my least favorite sport) with baseball, but George Fox defeated the Amherst Lord Jeffs 76-69, ending the #1 ranked and defending national champions' 50-game overall unbeaten streak. The Bruins will play either St. Thomas (MN) or Illinois Wesleyan tomorrow for the crown.
0 permalink
3/16/2012 5:02:12 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
DM, thanks for the link to the George Fox game. As both a Beaver and Bruin Alum, it was nice to catch the last half of the basketball game. I can't wait to see what Chris Casey will do with the new football team.

Dodger Matt wrote:
Sorry to mix hoops (my least favorite sport) with baseball, but George Fox defeated the Amherst Lord Jeffs 76-69, ending the #1 ranked and defending national champions' 50-game overall unbeaten streak. The Bruins will play either St. Thomas (MN) or Illinois Wesleyan tomorrow for the crown.
0 permalink
3/16/2012 5:21:51 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
The Ducks and the Huskies can be watched for free on the following link.

http://www.gohuskies.com/allaccess/
0 permalink
3/16/2012 8:20:34 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Rarely will I root for the Huskies, but I'm their biggest fan this weekend. They take the first game from the Duckies, 8-3.

Go Huskies.
0 permalink
3/16/2012 8:32:06 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
What's up with Utah tonight. They beat the Trojans 1-0 in the first game and 3-1 in the second game. So much for my pick on this match up.
edited by BeaverBob on 3/16/2012
0 permalink
3/16/2012 8:51:05 PM

Daweez04
Daweez04
Dodger Matt wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:

I was a bit disappointed at first because my plan was to listen to the Golden Beavers, but I instead am watching the George Fox Bruins take on Amherst in the D-III Women's basketball final four. GFU (Newberg, Oregon) is undefeated, as they were in 2009 when they won the national championship.
http://www.ncaa.com/championship/liveplayer/player?gameId=216842

For you Beaver fans, George Fox is where Oregon State found Beaver baseball coaches Pat Casey and Pat Bailey (who won the D-III baseball championship there in 2004) and women's basketball coach Scott Rueck (who led the Bruins to that title in 2009). Plus, Pat Casey's brother Chris Casey will be the head football coach at GFU when they reinstate football in 2014.

Go Bruins!

High school friend was on the 2009 team. Then went on to be an assistant for my dad's team (coaches JV girls at my old High School). She is now working for Rueck and the OSU WBB team. Seems everything comes back to being connected between OSU and GF
0 permalink
3/16/2012 8:55:38 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
BeaverBob wrote:
Rarely will I root for the Huskies, but I'm their biggest fan this weekend. They take the first game from the Duckies, 8-3.

Go Huskies.

Yeah I was in that same camp two years ago after the beavs got smashed in their opener by zona. I don't play that game any more after what happened after that game.. Or was that last year? Tonights loss was not a big deal compared to the last series we played there. That game was a complete circus.
0 permalink
3/16/2012 8:59:47 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
RD, did you watch or listen to any of the game. The Ducks started strong, but UW's pitcher got stronger as the game went on. The normally reliable ducks pitching staff seemed to struggle a bit

Riverduck wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:

Go Huskies.

Yeah I was in that same camp two years ago after the beavs got smashed in their opener by zona. I don't play that game any more after what happened after that game.. Or was that last year? Tonights loss was not a big deal compared to the last series we played there. That game was a complete circus.
0 permalink
3/16/2012 9:22:13 PM

MostUnknown
MostUnknown
Down 5-0 against a dominate Brady Rodgers early, somehow the winning streak hits 12 games. Shock
edited by MostUnknown on 3/16/2012
0 permalink
3/16/2012 9:49:33 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
How are the Bruins young pitchers doing?

MostUnknown wrote:
Down 5-0 against a dominate Brady Rodgers early, somehow the winning streak hits 12 games. Shock
0 permalink
3/16/2012 10:26:17 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day one

In the four games that were supposed to be easy wins, all four turned out to be upsets of the favored teams. We also had a close game between ranked teams and a rainout.
  • UCLA 6, ASU 5: The Devils jumped out to a 5-0 lead in the 3rd on a walk, double, triple, walk, and 3-run homer by Trever Allen, almost completing the cycle as a team in that frame. UCLA returned the favor in the 6th, sending ten to the plate and scoring five of them in smaller steps: a dropped fly to third, three consecutive singles, groundout, fourth single, a balk, and two more singles. Just when you were wondering whether the UCLA scoreboard operator had only 0’s and 5’s to put on the board, UCLA’s Kevin Williams knocked a 1-2 pitch over the right field fence with two out. Williams was 2 for 4 with 1 RBI and 2 runs Adam Plutko pitched 7.1. David Berg pitched 0.2 IP to steal the win. ASU’s Brady Rodger pitched 8.0 IP and gave up 5 runs (4 earned).
    UCLA leads series 1-0.

• Washington 8, Oregon 3: The Dawgs came from behind in the 4th with three runs to take a 3-2 lead that they never relinquished. They scored two more in the 6th and three in the 7th, topped by Ryan Wiggins’s two-run pinch-hit home run. Aaron West (3-1) went 6 IP for the win. Alex Keudell (1-3) took the loss. Chase Anselment was 2 for 3 with an RBI for UW; Oregon’s Kyle Garlick was 2 for 4 with a homer. The teams will play a double-header on Saturday.
    Washington leads series 1-0.

• Instead of playing the first ever Pac-12 game, Oregon State and Cal instead recorded the first-ever Pac-12 rain postponement. DH tomorrow.
    Series tied 0-0.

• Washington State 6, Arizona 0: The Cougs built a picket fence of single runs in the first four innings and in the 7th and 8th. Wazzu’s JD Leckenby (3-1) went 6.2 IP for the shutout win. Kurt Heyer (4-1), who came in to today’s game with a miniscule 0.58 ERA, allowed 4 runs (3 earned) over 5.2 IP. Patrick Claussen was 2 for 4 with 2 RBIs for the Cougs.
    Wazzu leads series 1-0.

• Game one: Utah 1, USC 0: USC’s Andrew Triggs pitched a complete 9 innings and gave up 8 hits and one (earned) run, but lost 1-0 to the Pac-12 newb Utes, who used two pitchers to blank the Trojans and limit them to 3 hits. Utah’s Joe Pond pitched 6.0 for the win. Tyler Wagner relieved him in the 7th and pitched three hitless innings to notch Utah’s first Pac-12 victory in their first ever Pac-12 game.
    Game two: Utah 3, USC 1: Whoda thunk that after one day of Pac-12 play, Utah would have defeated USC’s top two pitchers and be sitting alone at the top of the conference standings? In the nightcap, Ben Mount only lasted 6.2 IP, allowing four runs (three earned), and the Trojans were nearly shut out a second time, scoring their sole run of the day in the 1st. Utah already has half as many Pac-12 wins as the hapless first-year Ducks totaled for all of 2009.
    Utah leads series 2-0.
0 permalink
3/16/2012 10:28:02 PM

MostUnknown
MostUnknown
BeaverBob wrote:
How are the Bruins young pitchers doing?

MostUnknown wrote:

It's a work in progress. Especially with a bullpen that likes to make it interesting and a closer that sometimes forgets what a strike zone looks like. Plutko should be one of the best in the conference though.
0 permalink
3/16/2012 10:51:33 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Daweez04 wrote:

High school friend was on the 2009 team. Then went on to be an assistant for my dad's team (coaches JV girls at my old High School). She is now working for Rueck and the OSU WBB team. Seems everything comes back to being connected between OSU and GF

Kuenzi? Very attractive family.

Championship game between unbeaten George Fox (32-0) and Illinois Wesleyan University (27-5) Saturday at 4pm PT.
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 4 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 Predictions: Week 5