Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » High School Baseball » Top Pitching Combos in the Country

High School Baseball Forum
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
2/27/2011 7:24:51 PM

gsabers
gsabers
Is their a better pairing out there then Broken Arrow's Archie Bradley and Mason Hope? Especially when you throw in the fact that they will get to throw to Dylan Delso. In State Rival Owasso also has a nice combo with Dylan Bundy and Philip Wilson. They also will have an outstanding battery mate in Drew Stiner. What other schools from around the country can match up with these 2 from Oklahoma?
0 permalink
2/27/2011 11:58:08 PM

tgold
tgold
Administrator
Great question. What sets #3 Broken Arrow apart is that they don't just have an elite 1-2 punch in Bradley and Hope but they also have several more quality arms. Nick Pettus and Tyler Kruse are also very talented pitchers and Delso can also chip in on the mound as well. It doesn't matter when you face the Tigers, you are going to see some very tough pitching.

I think that the combo of Christian Montgomery and Jared Ruxer of Lawrence Central (IN) often gets overlooked because of where they are from. As is the case with Dexter (MA) with John Maggliozzi and Barrett O'Neill. Newport (WA) has arguably the top combo in the often ignored northwest region with Cole Wiper and Jared Fisher.

Then of course there are the more obvious ones that get a lot of ink, such as: 7th ranked Spanish Fork with Kayden Porter and James Langel (if he comes back healthy),31st ranked Rockwall Heath (Jake Thompson, Jovan Hernandez) and Parkview Baptist (LA) who Ben Collman discussed yesterday in 3 Up/3 Down as a team that just missed the top 50.

A very underrated staff is Mariner (FL) with Alex Santana who many see as a 3B prospect (though I was very impressed with his ability on the mound at the 2011 World Showcase in January) combining with junior Jason Carmichael.

An up and coming 1-2 punch to watch for 2012 is Tampa Jesuit (FL) with Lance McCullers (#1 prospect in class of 2012) and Max Beerman. Another is El Dorado (CA), who I discussed in 3 Up/3 Down, although I see Chris Rivera's future as an elite position player.

I know I'm leaving out several big ones here but these are the ones who immediately come to mind. Let me know who I'm missing so I can have that same feeling I get while watching Jeopardy (the "oh yeah, duh, I knew that" feeling).
0 permalink
2/28/2011 9:11:49 AM

PGTaylor
PGTaylor
A couple of other would be:
Oxford HS (AL) - Tucker Simpson & Jackson Stephens
West Ranch HS (CA) - Ryan Keller & JC Cloney
Dunedin HS (FL) - Michael Clarkson, Colyn O'Connell, & Aaron Chesson
Jupiter HS (FL) - Ryan Harris & Nico Slater
West Boca HS (FL) - Michael Kelly & Parker Danciu
Buford HS (GA) - Josh Heddinger, Jake Burnette, and Sam Clay
White County HS (GA) - Luke Crumley & David Sosebee
Cathedral HS (IN)- Dillon Peters & Nick McCarty
Catholic HS (LA) - Aaron Nola & Alex Massey
Buckingham Browne & Nichols (MA) - Andrew Chin & Devin Perry
Madison Central (MS) - Zach Irwin, Spencer Turnbull, & Josh Laxer
Forsyth Country Day (NC) - Adam Griffin & Brandon Culbreth
Defiance HS (OH) - Anthony Kidston & Eric Stapleton
The Woodlands (TX) - Bryan Brickhouse, Ryan Bielitz, & Michael Clemens
James River HS (VA) - Nathan Kirby & Jack Roberts
0 permalink
2/28/2011 9:29:13 AM

IndyCoach
IndyCoach
tgold wrote:
I think that the combo of Christian Montgomery and Jared Ruxer of Lawrence Central (IN) often gets overlooked because of where they are from.

I would agree with tgold on this one. Being from a northern state I think that we sometimes get left out. These two may be the best 1-2 punch in the country!
0 permalink
2/28/2011 9:29:58 AM

bcollman
bcollman
Administrator
Here are some more combos that come to mind:
Louisville St. Xavier- Matt Spalding, Ryan Loehnert, Ian Thompkins, Zach Clooney may give them the best 4-man rotation in the nation
Southlake Carroll, TX-John Curtiss-up to 93 in Round Rock last weekend and LHP Kyle Bailey
Spain Park, AL- Chris Ellis and Colton Freeman-showed some of the best raw arm strength at this year National Underclass Showcase
Downers Grove South, IL-Nick Burdi and Matt Wivinis
Cathedral Catholic, CA- Daniel Camerena and Stephen Gonsalves, one of the top 2013 pitchers in the country
0 permalink
2/28/2011 8:18:19 PM

sean289855
sean289855
DeMatha Catholic (MD) has a good combo also in Nikolay Uherek and Zach Morris (Cincy)

ST. Michael's (MD) Adam Parks (Liberty) and Kyle McKelvey (Coastal Carolina)
0 permalink
2/28/2011 8:33:30 PM

Countyball
Countyball
Russell County (AL) combo Ray Castillo 2012 and Todd Dial 2013
0 permalink
3/1/2011 9:19:27 AM

Texasleaguer
Texasleaguer
Cuthbertson HS (NC) has Peter Hendel (2011 LHP - UNC), Preston Morrison (2011 RHP - TCU), and Cameron Tekker (2012 RHP - UVa). That's a pretty good punch!
+1 permalink
3/2/2011 5:02:46 PM

username
username
Pickerington Central HS out of Pickerington, Ohio has some solid pitchers and should be a force. Isaac Beller 2011 (Wright State) mid 80's, Nick Jensen-Clagg 2012 - Uncommitted, mid 80's flirts in upper 80's, Evan Jensen 2012, uncommitted, mid 80's fantastic CU.
0 permalink
3/4/2011 5:11:17 PM

Rales
Rales
I've had the chance to recently see Madison Central in Miss...their top three are as good as I've seen in HS

Josh Laxer-90-92 ^ 94
Spencer Turnbull 88-92
Zach Irwin 86-90
0 permalink
7/7/2011 3:40:33 PM

jcg93
jcg93
Ardrey Kell HS (NC) has Chris McCue (2011 RHP-UNC), Trent Thornton (2012 RHP-UNC), and Brad Stone (2012 LHP-NC State)
+1 permalink
8/20/2011 11:45:26 AM

aldoinla
aldoinla
Giolito/Fried/Flaherty at Harvard-Westlake, CA im 2012. Not much more to be said.
0 permalink
8/20/2011 3:12:31 PM

Reeniop5
Reeniop5
aldoinla wrote:
Giolito/Fried/Flaherty at Harvard-Westlake, CA im 2012. Not much more to be said.

This one is my bet! Congrats to your son Aldoinla!

--
" A diamond is just a chunk of coal that made good under pressure."
0 permalink
10/12/2011 9:09:00 AM

the snake
the snake
Jake Thompson and Jovan Hernandez from Rockwall-Heath in Heath, TX (2012's). Both RHP. Thompson is TCU commit. Hernandez is Texas Tech commit.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » High School Baseball » Top Pitching Combos in the Country