Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » California wrist bands

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
6/13/2011 6:50:15 AM

sigsky
sigsky
I've seen many catchers wear them to translate pitching signals from the dugout. But all the Cal position players were wearing them, at least on offense, presumably to translate signals for steal, hit-and-run, etc. Makes signals very hard to steal I would think. I've never seen this before and wonder if there are other programs using them. Have I got the purpose correct?

Seemed to slow down play a little as now players have to adjust the wristband as well as their batting gloves after each pitch.
edited by sigsky on 6/13/2011
0 permalink
6/13/2011 5:37:23 PM

RoundingThirdStaff
RoundingThirdStaff
You have the purpose of the wrist bands correct. Esquer has been using those for years..He also uses them for defensive plays, positioning in the infield and for calling pitches. It's a bit of overkill, but who am I to question anything Cal is doing right now? Everything is working just fine and they should keep on doing it until the final pitch is thrown.

BTW..on the subject of Cal...I heard from a softball player that during the softball regionals, a few ESPN announcers were criticizing the Cal facilities...saying that a team that puts a year in, year out ranked team on the field, should have a facility better than the high school type of facility that they have now. That lack of a facility cost them from hosting a regional.

Sandy Barbour, the AD, who has never attended a Cal Women's softball game, got on a plane, went to the regional, sat down with the Cal SID and demanded that the announcers quit talking about the program that way. To which the SID said... "Well, they didn't say anything that's not true...why don't you tell them yourself Sandy." Sandy replied...I don't have time for this, I have to catch a flight back out....I'l just write them a letter."

Now she could have just picked up the phone and told the SID that...First...it isn't cheap to grab a same day flight and second, she is telling a young 20 something SID to handle it, when she is right there? I don't think she has the guts to face anyone from the media herself for fear they will expose her for the incompetent person she really is.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » California wrist bands