Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-10: SUPER REGIONAL PREDICTIONS

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
| you must log in at the top of the page to post
6/7/2011 7:38:49 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
First time I've tried doing supers, so I'm not promising a good even spread in the results. I've upped the scores a bit, especially on the winning end, to provide a possible range similar (albeit a little lower) to our regular season prediction scores.

There are four possibilities for each super regional:
  • 0-2: The team loses the first two games and is done.
  • 1-2: The team wins one of the first two then loses the third game and is done.
  • 2-1: The team wins one of the first two games then wins the third and goes to Omaha.
  • 2-0: The team wins the first two games and goes to Omaha.
Here's how the scoring goes. Your pick is along the top; actual result is on the side:

You pick: 0-2 1-2 2-1 2-0
0-2 6 4 2 0
1-2 4 6 3 1
2-1 1 3 6 5
2-0 0 1 4 7
Note that a team that goes 2-0 will give you the most points if you pick them to go 2-0 and almost as much if you pick them to go 2-1. This kind of encourages optimism, but it also provides some separation. If this is not enough to provide a clear winner, for a tiebreaker, how about this:

TIEBREAKER: Guess the total amount of runs scored by all teams in Game One of each super. Must be at least 4 and as high as...40? 80?

Lastly, instead of providing a series by series analysis, which I frankly don't have time for right now, I would like to open that up to the first four who want to provide them. Pick one series and give us an overview of each team’s strengths and weaknesses, who their projected three starters are, ERAs, whatever. And let someone else do the next series review.

Here are the supers:
  • ASU at Texas
  • Dallas Baptist at Cal
  • OSU at Vanderbilt
  • Stan at North Carolina
Let's wait for the series previews before you start voting, but for those who only read this long message once, here's what a sample ballot would look like. (PLEASE, remember to keep them IN ORDER and USE THE ABBREVIATIONS!)

ASU 0-2
Cal 1-2
OSU 2-1
Stan 2-0
Tiebreaker: 23
0 permalink
6/8/2011 4:51:03 PM

unc70
unc70
Thanks Borgguy. Good job.

Obviously I am biased regarding the Heels. You have done a good job showing the challenge Stanford faces coming into the Bosh. But I think there are two points deserving more emphasis. First is the home field advantage. Just three loses all season, two of them to Miami. UNC is undefeated at home in regional play since 2006.

Second, Patrick Johnson is pitching better than his 12-1 record. In his last three outings, 23 scoreless innings on just 6 hits: a CG 3H shutout of UVA, 6 no hit innings against Wake, and 8 innings allowing 3H in 14-0 win over James Madison. Freshman pitcher Kent Emmanuel isn't too far behind, though he gave up two runs to UVA in the ACCT in a game marred by UNC's 2 errors; he last went 8 innings, 7 hits, in 4-0 win over Maine.
+1 permalink
| you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-10: SUPER REGIONAL PREDICTIONS