Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Hardest and Easiest Supers

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
6/7/2011 3:00:02 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Posts: 1075
I think the hardest Super is going to be the Cardinal at NC. The Tarheels are one of the annual powerhouses in baseball and this year is no different. Stanford was been very hot or not this year, but coming into the regionals they have been super hot. Pac 10 gives the Heels trouble so this one is gonna be a barn burner.

The easiest? Miss State at Gainesville. The Gators have already played and took a series from Miss State and should do so again in easy fashion. Looks like a paved gold road from the Regionals to Omaha for the Gators. This is also the only regional that guaranteed any particular conference (SEC) a CWS spot.
0 permalink
6/7/2011 3:21:52 PM

shoelessT
shoelessT
Posts: 118
Top 3 easiest: 1. Florida 2. FSU 3. Virginia

Top 3 hardest: 1. Oregon St winning at Vandy. 2. UConn winning at S.Carolina. 3. Stanford winning at UNC

*obviously if the easiest Supers for one team are the hardest for another so I just didn't duplicate.
0 permalink
6/7/2011 3:43:18 PM

borgguy
borgguy
Posts: 545
shoelessT wrote:
Top 3 easiest: 1. Florida 2. FSU 3. Virginia

Top 3 hardest: 1. Oregon St winning at Vandy. 2. UConn winning at S.Carolina. 3. Stanford winning at UNC

*obviously if the easiest Supers for one team are the hardest for another so I just didn't duplicate.



i actually kind of like OSU's chances against Vandy, its not going to be easy by any stretch of the imagination, but i think with sammy pitching on friday we stand a good chance of winning game 1 and if schultz (who *I* would start instead of osich) gives us 5 good innings like he did against georgia, i like our chances on saturday too. all the games are going to be hard fought, but as long as the beavers dont forget how to play baseball (like they did for game 3 against UW and all of USC and UO) we stand a pretty good chance

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
6/7/2011 4:46:15 PM

shoelessT
shoelessT
Posts: 118
borgguy wrote:
shoelessT wrote:
Top 3 easiest: 1. Florida 2. FSU 3. Virginia

Top 3 hardest: 1. Oregon St winning at Vandy. 2. UConn winning at S.Carolina. 3. Stanford winning at UNC

*obviously if the easiest Supers for one team are the hardest for another so I just didn't duplicate.



i actually kind of like OSU's chances against Vandy, its not going to be easy by any stretch of the imagination, but i think with sammy pitching on friday we stand a good chance of winning game 1 and if schultz (who *I* would start instead of osich) gives us 5 good innings like he did against georgia, i like our chances on saturday too. all the games are going to be hard fought, but as long as the beavers dont forget how to play baseball (like they did for game 3 against UW and all of USC and UO) we stand a pretty good chance



Yes but Vandy starts Sonny Gray in game 1 and Grayson Garvin in game 2. Hard to find 2 better pitchers in a rotation than that. Plus, with Esposito and Westlake, not to mention Gomez, Reynolds, etc. they have a great lineup as well. I do like Sam throwing on friday against many teams but Sonny and Vandy is a tough draw. Good luck to the Beavers! Also I must add that I think Oregon State has the best uniforms in college baseball! They are just plain awesome!
0 permalink
6/7/2011 7:44:33 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Posts: 2086
shoelessT wrote:
Yes but Vandy starts Sonny Gray in game 1 and Grayson Garvin in game 2. Hard to find 2 better pitchers in a rotation than that. Plus, with Esposito and Westlake, not to mention Gomez, Reynolds, etc. they have a great lineup as well. I do like Sam throwing on friday against many teams but Sonny and Vandy is a tough draw. Good luck to the Beavers! Also I must add that I think Oregon State has the best uniforms in college baseball! They are just plain awesome!

We'll probably be wearing our grays at least one of those days, so it should be a gray series. My favorites are the home cream-colored unis with the black lettering. I'm not a big fan of the "trucker" two-toned hats. Give me straight black cap with the orange OS logo anyday.
0 permalink
6/7/2011 8:12:25 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
Posts: 200
I agree with you on the hats, but with the orange jerseys, I can live with them.
0 permalink
6/7/2011 8:41:23 PM

borgguy
borgguy
Posts: 545
shoelessT wrote:
borgguy wrote:
shoelessT wrote:
Top 3 easiest: 1. Florida 2. FSU 3. Virginia

Top 3 hardest: 1. Oregon St winning at Vandy. 2. UConn winning at S.Carolina. 3. Stanford winning at UNC

*obviously if the easiest Supers for one team are the hardest for another so I just didn't duplicate.



i actually kind of like OSU's chances against Vandy, its not going to be easy by any stretch of the imagination, but i think with sammy pitching on friday we stand a good chance of winning game 1 and if schultz (who *I* would start instead of osich) gives us 5 good innings like he did against georgia, i like our chances on saturday too. all the games are going to be hard fought, but as long as the beavers dont forget how to play baseball (like they did for game 3 against UW and all of USC and UO) we stand a pretty good chance



Yes but Vandy starts Sonny Gray in game 1 and Grayson Garvin in game 2. Hard to find 2 better pitchers in a rotation than that. Plus, with Esposito and Westlake, not to mention Gomez, Reynolds, etc. they have a great lineup as well. I do like Sam throwing on friday against many teams but Sonny and Vandy is a tough draw. Good luck to the Beavers! Also I must add that I think Oregon State has the best uniforms in college baseball! They are just plain awesome!



that is why i think this is going to be an excellent series, no matter who wins, they certainly deserve their spot at the CWS.. good luck to the 'dores as well

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
6/7/2011 9:10:50 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Posts: 2086
You're right when you say the hardest is also the easiest when you consider from the opposite team's perspective. Probably a better way to look at it is, which regional is the most mismatched (hardest and easiest), and which is the most evenly matched.

Most mismatched
  • SoCar over UConn
  • Florida over Miss State
  • Cal over Dallas Baptist
Most evenly matched (favored listed first)
  • UNC versus Stanford
  • Arizona State versus Texas
  • Vandy versus Oregon State
0 permalink
6/7/2011 10:01:25 PM

shoelessT
shoelessT
Posts: 118
Dodger Matt wrote:
You're right when you say the hardest is also the easiest when you consider from the opposite team's perspective. Probably a better way to look at it is, which regional is the most mismatched (hardest and easiest), and which is the most evenly matched.

Most mismatched
  • SoCar over UConn
  • Florida over Miss State
  • Cal over Dallas Baptist
Most evenly matched (favored listed first)
  • UNC versus Stanford
  • Arizona State versus Texas
  • Vandy versus Oregon State


You don't think FSU vs Texas AM is mismatched? FSU can freakin hit the ball and I know they don't have a 2nd pitcher but Texas AM lost their ace and that is huge. FSU is a good offensive club and I just think they are gonna beat Texas AM bad.
0 permalink
6/7/2011 11:31:23 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Posts: 2086
shoelessT wrote:
You don't think FSU vs Texas AM is mismatched? FSU can freakin hit the ball and I know they don't have a 2nd pitcher but Texas AM lost their ace and that is huge. FSU is a good offensive club and I just think they are gonna beat Texas AM bad.

I mention six of the eight, but.... I'll try harder next time.

I didn't think the Aggies would escape their own regional, and they nearly didn't. FSU is favored and should win, but I don't see these teams as far apart as the others mentioned. I would even say UVa-UCI is probably a bigger mismatch than FSU-aTm.
0 permalink
6/8/2011 7:52:40 AM

bigstu57
bigstu57
Posts: 3
ShoelessT... you do relize that while stilson was an awesome talent (drafted 3rd rd. even after injury) he was by far the most inocnsistant of the 3 starting pitchers A&M has. Stripling the 3rd starter won 12 games and is a 3rd team all american and just threw a complete game against seton hall giving up one earned run. Wacha will be a first round pick next year and was named to team USA, and just finished the College station regional pitching 13 inning and giving up no runs. Gilmartin just got roughed up by Bama... and none of the FSU pitching really looked amazing this past weekend. I am an A&M fan and think FSU will win this series because they can flat out mash, but I dont think this is a mismatch at all. I am planning on 3 games.... Maybe I am the one wearing maroon sunglasses, but I dont think this will be a cakewalk like you suggest. Too much pitching... if this goes to Monday... watch out... that may be a high scoring affair.
0 permalink
6/8/2011 8:00:09 AM

shoelessT
shoelessT
Posts: 118
bigstu57 wrote:
ShoelessT... you do relize that while stilson was an awesome talent (drafted 3rd rd. even after injury) he was by far the most inocnsistant of the 3 starting pitchers A&M has. Stripling the 3rd starter won 12 games and is a 3rd team all american and just threw a complete game against seton hall giving up one earned run. Wacha will be a first round pick next year and was named to team USA, and just finished the College station regional pitching 13 inning and giving up no runs. Gilmartin just got roughed up by Bama... and none of the FSU pitching really looked amazing this past weekend. I am an A&M fan and think FSU will win this series because they can flat out mash, but I dont think this is a mismatch at all. I am planning on 3 games.... Maybe I am the one wearing maroon sunglasses, but I dont think this will be a cakewalk like you suggest. Too much pitching... if this goes to Monday... watch out... that may be a high scoring affair.


I hope you are right. I do realize the inconsistency of Stilson, but in a best of 3 series its nice to have 3 starters who have the chance to be lights out every time they get on the mound. 2 is of course nice, but if Stilson was healthy then I would be picking the Aggies just because I would bet that 2 out of the 3 would be on. If it does go 3 I am just wondering who the Aggies would throw and do they have the offense to keep up with FSU if both teams are throwing average arms.
0 permalink
6/8/2011 8:01:55 AM

shoelessT
shoelessT
Posts: 118
Dodger Matt wrote:
shoelessT wrote:
You don't think FSU vs Texas AM is mismatched? FSU can freakin hit the ball and I know they don't have a 2nd pitcher but Texas AM lost their ace and that is huge. FSU is a good offensive club and I just think they are gonna beat Texas AM bad.

I mention six of the eight, but.... I'll try harder next time.

My bad, I didn't mean that. I was just asking your thoughts on that game. I seem to be the only person who think it is highly mismatched.
0 permalink
6/8/2011 8:12:41 AM

bigstu57
bigstu57
Posts: 3
If... the FSU/A&M series goes 3 A&M will pitch either hadley or parrent. Parrent is a Lefty and has Awesome stuff, but can be inconsistant. If he is on... He can be great, but if he is off he is very hittable. Hadley is Young, but kind of has that bulldog mentality. He pitched 5 innings on Sunday vs Zona and gave up one earned run. he does not have a ton of stamina, but I think they pulled him too early Sunday. Zona went on to put up 6 runs over the next 2 innings after he was pulled. So we have guys that can pitch... but you dont know what you will get, unlike stripling and wacha.
0 permalink
6/8/2011 3:14:24 PM

Kenny Powers
Kenny Powers
Posts: 32
bigstu57 wrote:
Parrent is a Lefty and has Awesome stuff, .


Awesome stuff? C'mon lets not get carried away

Parrent is a decent pitcher, but if this goes to 3 games then FSU will roll
0 permalink
6/8/2011 4:33:42 PM

bigstu57
bigstu57
Posts: 3
when he is on... he is awesome. Problem is you dont know who you will get. When he is off he gives up HRs... So my guess is Hadley gets the start again anyways. What is it about Scantling and McGee that make you think they will roll? I really think this Whole series comes down to Stripling and Gilmartin Saturday. Whoever wins that game takes this series. If Gilmartin wins... FSU has too many bats to lose the next 2... if Stripling wins... A&M will have Wacha ready Sunday. Just my take... Still like FSU, but not rolling...
0 permalink
6/8/2011 8:32:00 PM

Kenny Powers
Kenny Powers
Posts: 32
I actually agree with you 100%....If A&M beats Gilmartin then the Aggies will sweep it, but if Gilmartin beats Wacha then FSU takes it in 3 (Stripling will not get beat)....my "roll" comment simply referred to the FSU bats being able to get the best of whoever the A&M 3rd starter will be, my choice of words was a bit dramatic

It will be a great series.
0 permalink
6/8/2011 9:12:35 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
Posts: 200
Just got a bit harder... Beavs #2 pitcher is out thanks to an inflamed shoulder.
0 permalink
6/8/2011 11:33:20 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Posts: 1075
I am going to stand by my first pick. Going to be a battle, but the Beavs got this one.
0 permalink
6/9/2011 12:59:10 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Posts: 990
SouthernBeaver wrote:
Just got a bit harder... Beavs #2 pitcher is out thanks to an inflamed shoulder.


Is he out, or questionable? All I've read is just that his status is unknown...also Gaviglio may not be ready by Friday (rest)
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Hardest and Easiest Supers





Powered by AspNetForum 6.9.9.0 © 2006-2010 Jitbit Software