Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Maine Head Coach Trimper oozes class....

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/31/2011 8:25:12 AM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
Here's what he had to say about being sent to Chapel Hill....

[font=georgia, tahoma, verdana, arial]“One nice thing is we’re very familiar with Chapel Hill,” said Maine coach Steve Trimper. “We not only played them there in ‘06, we played that three-game series there last year and knocked them off with two freshman pitchers, Jeff Gibbs and Steve Perakslis.
“I guarantee they’re shaking in their boots right now because they know we have some good arms going down there,” said Trimper

Yep Coach, you're right....the Heels are absolutely petrified.
[/font]
0 permalink
5/31/2011 9:58:28 AM

Kenny Powers
Kenny Powers
geez you whine a lot.

How is complimenting and having confidence in your team a sign of not showing class?...what gives you the right to question his class based on those comments?

The only lack of class are by fans who get all bent out of shape over a pointless sound bite…. Pot, Kettle?
0 permalink
5/31/2011 10:33:48 AM

Yardcock96
Yardcock96
Kenny Powers wrote:
geez you whine a lot.

How is complimenting and having confidence in your team a sign of not showing class?...what gives you the right to question his class based on those comments?

The only lack of class are by fans who get all bent out of shape over a pointless sound bite…. Pot, Kettle?

UNC getting the 3 seed and that joke of a draw for a regional oozes something else. It smells like you know what but I'll call it bias with your Associate AD being on the selection committee and all.
0 permalink
5/31/2011 10:35:57 AM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
...and you whine about what I post a lot. I wasn't aware that you were the board nanny. I'd be just as upset if my own head coach ever said something about a team "shaking in its boots". It's just not what you say even if you do believe it.

Kenny Powers wrote:
geez you whine a lot.

0 permalink
5/31/2011 10:56:10 AM

Kenny Powers
Kenny Powers
Yardcock96 wrote:
UNC getting the 3 seed and that joke of a draw for a regional oozes something else. It smells like you know what but I'll call it bias with your Associate AD being on the selection committee and all.

I wouldn't worry too much, UNC is consistently one of the most talented teams every year and they consistently choke when it counts every year….how many CWS titles for them again?

Another high seed and another choke job on its way
0 permalink
5/31/2011 10:59:02 AM

Not to toot the Heels horn, as the they can certainly do that for themselves, but the team they played at the BEGINNING of last year, is not the same team they'll face Friday. Remember at the beginning of 2010, we had to replace our starting 1st basement who went number two in the draft, second basemen switched to third to replace another drafted team mate and we replaced our starting right fielder and our Friday and Sat, starters. The defense of this team is miles a head of last year. We had several in fielders playing out of position last year. That is not the case this year.

About being the third national seed, that is what it is. I think sweeping our trip in CA the first week of the season, and sweeping UVA is why we are where we are. Think of the teams we played that are hosting this week. We swept UVA and Clemson, took two of three at FSU and went out to Cal State and won. The only team we played that is hosting we didn't win against was GT. We won the first game and should have won the second, but we gave up a five run lead in the ninth. I know almost doesn't count, but it isn't like we have beat quality competition.
0 permalink
5/31/2011 11:17:44 AM

Yardcock96
Yardcock96
About being the third national seed, that is what it is. I think sweeping our trip in CA the first week of the season, and sweeping UVA is why we are where we are. Think of the teams we played that are hosting this week. We swept UVA and Clemson, took two of three at FSU and went out to Cal State and won. The only team we played that is hosting we didn't win against was GT. We won the first game and should have won the second, but we gave up a five run lead in the ninth. I know almost doesn't count, but it isn't like we have beat quality competition.
How many national seeds got swept in a series this season? Only UVA and UNC. How many national seeds got swept by a team only worthy of only a 3 seed in a regional? Only UNC. How many national seeds dropped more than one weekend series this year? UNC (3), FSU (3), and Vandy (2). No way UNC should have been as high as a 3. Note that I am not saying they shouldn't have gotten a national seed just that they got too high a seed and they got what in my (albeit biased) opinion is CLEARLY the easiest regional in the whole tournament.
edited by Yardcock96 on 5/31/2011
0 permalink
5/31/2011 11:28:07 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Heels2Omaha wrote:

“One nice thing is we’re very familiar with Chapel Hill,” said Maine coach Steve Trimper. “We not only played them there in ‘06, we played that three-game series there last year and knocked them off with two freshman pitchers, Jeff Gibbs and Steve Perakslis. “I guarantee they’re shaking in their boots right now because they know we have some good arms going down there,” said Trimper.

When I read your subject, I thought you were either sincerely complimenting the Maine coach (which I would have like to read about) or you were being sarcastic. I see that it was the latter. That's a shame because you used to be a bit more positive, but c'est la vie.

The irony here is that you are dishing out sarcasm, but I wonder if you can't detect it from this coach's comments. I did not see him state this, and perhaps there was no sarcasm in his delivery, but the bare text looks so patently ludicrous I can't see how anyone could view it as anything but tongue in cheek. How many coaches at any level say of even conference foes that are comparable to their own teams that the opponents are "shaking in their boots"? This reads like self-deprecatory hyperbole to me. Maine (171 ISR) has UNC (3 ISR) shaking in their boots? Do you really believe he is saying this unequivocally? Do you really think making a joke of being tremendous underdogs is being classless?
0 permalink
5/31/2011 11:43:19 AM

FV4Heels
FV4Heels
I personally don't that much difference in the each teams resume to warrant the seeding one way or the other. Both are 45-14. SC has two more conference wins, but NC has better non conference schedule with wins. The only head to head advantage I would give UNC their sweep of Clemson. UNC also has a slightly better road and neutral site record. Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? No, you still have to go out on the field and win.
0 permalink
5/31/2011 12:28:05 PM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
There is absolutely no difference in being seeded #1 vs #8 or anywhere in between. They relied on the computers (RPI #1, ISR #3). Doesn't make a difference where you fall as long as you're in the top 8. As to it being the easiest regional, there are 3 40+ win teams there. We'll just have to agree to disagree about it being a complete cakewalk.

Yardcock96 wrote:
How many national seeds got swept in a series this season? Only UVA and UNC. How many national seeds got swept by a team only worthy of only a 3 seed in a regional? Only UNC. How many national seeds dropped more than one weekend series this year? UNC (3), FSU (3), and Vandy (2). No way UNC should have been as high as a 3. Note that I am not saying they shouldn't have gotten a national seed just that they got too high a seed and they got what in my (albeit biased) opinion is CLEARLY the easiest regional in the whole tournament.
0 permalink
5/31/2011 12:31:33 PM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
I heard the quote on the radio and unfortunately he was most definitely not being sarcastic. He was very upset that the local media there were not giving them much of a chance.

Dodger Matt wrote:
Heels2Omaha wrote:

“One nice thing is we’re very familiar with Chapel Hill,” said Maine coach Steve Trimper. “We not only played them there in ‘06, we played that three-game series there last year and knocked them off with two freshman pitchers, Jeff Gibbs and Steve Perakslis. “I guarantee they’re shaking in their boots right now because they know we have some good arms going down there,” said Trimper.

When I read your subject, I thought you were either sincerely complimenting the Maine coach (which I would have like to read about) or you were being sarcastic. I see that it was the latter. That's a shame because you used to be a bit more positive, but c'est la vie.

The irony here is that you are dishing out sarcasm, but I wonder if you can't detect it from this coach's comments. I did not see him state this, and perhaps there was no sarcasm in his delivery, but the bare text looks so patently ludicrous I can't see how anyone could view it as anything but tongue in cheek. How many coaches at any level say of even conference foes that are comparable to their own teams that the opponents are "shaking in their boots"? This reads like self-deprecatory hyperbole to me. Maine (171 ISR) has UNC (3 ISR) shaking in their boots? Do you really believe he is saying this unequivocally? Do you really think making a joke of being tremendous underdogs is being classless?
0 permalink
5/31/2011 1:09:33 PM

Yardcock96
Yardcock96
Heels2Omaha wrote:
There is absolutely no difference in being seeded #1 vs #8 or anywhere in between. They relied on the computers (RPI #1, ISR #3). Doesn't make a difference where you fall as long as you're in the top 8. As to it being the easiest regional, there are 3 40+ win teams there. We'll just have to agree to disagree about it being a complete cakewalk.

Yardcock96 wrote:

I would like to revise my previous statement. Somehow I missed looking at the Texas regional before. After looking at that one, I can't honestly claim that anyone CLEARLY has an easier regional than that.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Maine Head Coach Trimper oozes class....