Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » CBT ($): Report on Stilson/Jungmann bout (5/20)

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/20/2011 12:27:28 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Here's our writeup on the bout between the two outstanding right-handed pitchers.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=5680

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
5/20/2011 8:26:38 AM

Kenny Powers
Kenny Powers
There have been 3 pitchers over the last decade or so that have dominated college baseball at an insane level….that list includes Mark Prior, Jared Weaver, and of course Stephen Strasburg.

Go ahead and add Taylor Jungmann to that list, he has proven to be those guys equal….nails.
0 permalink
5/20/2011 8:57:26 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Kenny Powers wrote:
There have been 3 pitchers over the last decade or so that have dominated college baseball at an insane level….that list includes Mark Prior, Jared Weaver, and of course Stephen Strasburg.

Go ahead and add Taylor Jungmann to that list, he has proven to be those guys equal….nails.

Good stuff, KP ..... Augie gave us some great material last night.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
5/20/2011 9:11:23 AM

Kenny Powers
Kenny Powers
Taylor Jungmann's career numbers:

31-6, 1.64 ERA, 339K's, 99 Walks, 328.1 IP, 0.97 WHIP, .190 OB/BA
0 permalink
5/20/2011 9:57:39 AM

weg313
weg313
Kenny Powers wrote:

I think you're also forgetting Jeff Niemann his Soph year in 2003, when he went 17-0 and led the country in ERA and WHIP, and was amongst the leaders in K:BB ratio and BAA. Also, it should be noted (though few realize it), Wade Townsend's across-the-board numbers in 2003 - '04 were comparable to Weaver's. Townsend arguably was the second best pitcher in the country two consecutive season (behind Niemann in '03 and Weaver in '04).

I've long stated my preference (at least at the college level) for Jungmann over Cole, Purke and Co...though Bauer has given him a run for his money this year.
edited by weg313 on 5/20/2011

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
5/20/2011 12:06:43 PM

Kenny Powers
Kenny Powers
Wow....Rice fans never cease to amaze, their inferiority complex is so strong they can't even stand to read a thread about a Texas or Texas A&M or TCU player without interjecting their 2 cents about some kid that went to Rice.

And you are very wrong....Niemann and Townsend aren't comparable to Jungmann or the other guys listed, they were good, but on a lower tier talent and performance wise.
0 permalink
5/20/2011 1:52:57 PM

weg313
weg313
Kenny Powers wrote:
Wow....Rice fans never cease to amaze, their inferiority complex is so strong they can't even stand to read a thread about a Texas or Texas A&M or TCU player without interjecting their 2 cents about some kid that went to Rice.

And you are very wrong....Niemann and Townsend aren't comparable to Jungmann or the other guys listed, they were good, but on a lower tier talent and performance wise.

Kenny, you're so jaded you did not even notice my compliment of Jungmann, who I have long admired. As for Niemann and Townsend,you're the one who's dead wrong. I strongly suggest you look up their stats for the 2003 and (in Townsend's case, since Niemann was injured) 2004 seasons. I was responding to the guy who mentioned only 3 other, previous guys who dominated college baseball the past decade. And, I'm sorry, but if you're going to include Jared Weaver-- and I agree he belongs based on his final two seasons, you've got to include Neimann's 2003 season and Townsend's 2003 and '04 seasons. Townsend's 03 was superior to Weaver's '03, and his '04 numbers were only slightly behind Weaver's. Hard to include Strasburg in the equation, for as dominant as he was his Junior season, the level of competition he faced was so much inferior to any of the other guys, that his stats were at least somewhat inflated on a relative basis.

--
0 permalink
5/20/2011 3:22:08 PM

Kenny Powers
Kenny Powers
This has to be a joke right, comparing Wade Townsend to Jared Weaver, one of the best college pitchers of all time to "Wade Townsend"...I'd laugh if I didn't feel so sorry for your delusions.
Congrats though, you succeeded in derailing a thread and make it about Rice....on all of Kendall's draft projections analysis you should post that whomever the player is that they aren't as good as "X" kid from Rice....blowhard
Since you wanted so much to make the thread about Rice here is the skinny about the program you follow...as little as 3 years ago Rice was an elite program (Top 5) but now they are more of a fringe Top 20 program that has been passed up in the state by TCU and Texas A&M, and who knows once Whitting gets he feet wet then U of H could be there soon too. Rice will not be back in Omaha any time soon, and you should be complimenting Jungmann, because if KR's projections are correct and Rice comes to Austin for a Super, then Jungmann will be running them out of town disappointed just like last year.

There ya go....now its a Rice thread (detailing the slow decline of the program)...you got what you wanted.
0 permalink
5/20/2011 8:46:31 PM

weg313
weg313
Kenny Powers wrote:
This has to be a joke right, comparing Wade Townsend to Jared Weaver, one of the best college pitchers of all time to "Wade Townsend"...I'd laugh if I didn't feel so sorry for your delusions.
Congrats though, you succeeded in derailing a thread and make it about Rice....on all of Kendall's draft projections analysis you should post that whomever the player is that they aren't as good as "X" kid from Rice....blowhard
Since you wanted so much to make the thread about Rice here is the skinny about the program you follow...as little as 3 years ago Rice was an elite program (Top 5) but now they are more of a fringe Top 20 program that has been passed up in the state by TCU and Texas A&M, and who knows once Whitting gets he feet wet then U of H could be there soon too. Rice will not be back in Omaha any time soon, and you should be complimenting Jungmann, because if KR's projections are correct and Rice comes to Austin for a Super, then Jungmann will be running them out of town disappointed just like last year.

There ya go....now its a Rice thread (detailing the slow decline of the program)...you got what you wanted.

Please explain to me how TCU and the Aggies have passed Rice amongst the college baseball elite. As of tomorrow morning, Rice will have locked up it's 16th consecutive conference championship, as well as the #9 RPI ranking (which is ahead of UT, A&M and TCU). We're also 2-0 against the Aggies this year in head-to-head...and it was Augie who ran away from a 2-year home and home series contract (in order to play in Hawaii). Thanks to the pundits such as Kendall, and a series of dehabilitating injuries (Rendon, Fuda, Rathjen, McDowell and now Wall), the Owls have flown under the radar up to this point. No longer. We sweep USM on the road tomorrow, and we're in the thick of the national seed discussion.

--
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » CBT ($): Report on Stilson/Jungmann bout (5/20)