Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-10: Week 14 predictions

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1.. 3 4 5 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/22/2011 4:48:41 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day three
No sweeps this week, and some surprises....

UCLA 5, Cal 2: Both teams scored single runs in the 1st. The Bruins added two in the 3rd on a double and three singles, and one more in the 4th Cal halved the deficit 4-2 on Louie Lechich’s 5th inning solo homer. UCLA added another run in the 8th when Chris Giovinazzo’s led off with a triple and was singled in by Beau Amaral. Adam Plutko (5-3) went 8 IP for the win, striking out three, walking one, and allowing two earned runs. Dean Espy led the Bruins at the plat, going 3 for 5 with 1 RBI. Shaggy-haired Justin Jones (7-6) lasted 3 innings in taking the loss for Cal. Tony Renda went 2 for 4 with 1 RBI for Cal.

UCLA wins series, 2-1.

Stanford 2, Arizona 1: Jett Bandy hit a one-out solo homer in the 2nd to give Arizona a 1-0 lead. The game remained 1-0 until the 8th, when the Cardinal finally got on the board, scoring two on a walk and two singles. Chris Reed (6-2) got the Wildcats in order in the 9th to seal the win for Stanford.

Stanford wins series, 2-1.

USC 4, Oregon State 3: The Trojans got on the board first again with a two-out solo homer in the 2nd by Matt Foat. The Beavers tied it in the 4th on a Ryan Dunn double that scored Andrew Susac from second. The Trojans scored an unearned run in the 5th, and in the 6th, with two out, they got a single, a walk, and a single to score one more and knock Josh Osich out. The Beavers added a run in the 7th thanks to back-to-back doubles by Brian Stamps and Ryan Barnes. In the 9th, the Trojans loaded the bases with no outs, via a leadoff double by Kevin Roundtree, an error, HBP. Then Ricky Oropesa hit a sac fly to score Roundtree and give the Trojans a 4-2 lead. In the bottom of the 9th, Ben Mount walked the first two batters. Ryan Barnes then hit his third sacrifice bunt of the day to advance the runners. Kavin Keyes’s fly out to center scored Miller from third. And with the tying run at second, Andrew Susac grounded out to short to end the Beavers’ string of seven straight Pac-10 series wins.

USC wins series, 2-1.

Washington State 8, Oregon 7: The Ducks scored two in the 1st with a two-out walk followed by a Ryon Healy homer. The Cougars returned the favor, getting a leadoff walk and a two-run homer by Derek Jones. Oregon scored again in the 2nd, and Wazzu tied it again in the 3rd when Taylor Ard doubled in Derek Jones. Oregon jumped ahead again, 4-3 in the 4th. The Cougs took the lead back with a two-out two-run single by freshman Nate Blackham. That brought in Gas Can McGough who struck out Cody Bartlett. The Ducks tied it 5-5 with an unearned run in the 5th. In the 6th, Gas Can gave up a single, double, and walk to load the bases with one out for Cody Bartlett, who hit an infield single to McGough that allowed the Cougs to take a 6-5 lead. In the 8th, pinch hitter Kyle Garlick led off with a double on Wazzu closer Paris Shewey. After a walk and a sac bunt, Danny Pulfer doubled in two runs. Wazzu got the tying run at third with two out for DH Adam Nelubowich, who bounced an 0-2 pitch off the rightfield fence to tie the game 7-7. That brought up 3B Matt Argyropoulos, who hit the ball over centerfielder Andrew Mendenhall’s head to score Nelubowich and win the game.

Wazzu wins series, 2-1.

Washington 3, Arizona State 0: Husky righthander Jacob Clem one-hit the Devils through six innings. The Huskies broke the scoreless tie with a 3-spot in the 5th. ASU’s Kyle Ottoson walked two of the batters he faced, then Alex Blackford gave up two doubles, to Jacob Lamb and Ryan Wiggins. In the 7th, ASU led off with three straight singles to load the bases. Deven Marrero hit to 3B jacob Lamb, who got the force out at the plate. Then Austin barnes grounded into a double play to keep the Devils scoreless. Jacob Clem (4-5) went the full nine innings, giving up 6 hits, 1 walk, and 2 Ks, and shutting out the Sun Devils, a rarity in itself. Zach Wilson went 3 for 4 for the Devils. Ryan Wiggins led the Huskies going 1 for 4 with 2 RBIs.

Arizona State wins series, 2-1.
0 permalink
5/22/2011 4:57:47 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Okay, here’s the big surprise. Give props to the Duck, whose picks looked again to be bottom of the barrel but who somehow managed to top everyone this week. Here are your scores:

18 RiverDuck
17 BlueSGJay
17 Florida Beaver
17 rec1347
17 SouthernBeaver
16 BeaverBeliever20
16 OregonStateChris
15 BballJones
15 BeaverBob
15 CaughtBySparky
15 MostUnknown
15 opihi man
15 SouthCoastStu
14 ASU74
14 borgguy
14 Dodger Matt
14 WildCard85
13 cas77
13 CdinSV
12 2Bulldogs
11 YellowlabOSU

Score analysis:

17/21 correctly picked Stanford 2-1 (3.67 average score).
15/21 correctly picked UCLA 2-1 (3.52 average).
10/21 correctly picked Wazzu 2-1.
Only 5/21 correctly picked ASU 2-1.
Nobody picked USC 2-1, yielding a really low 1.57 average score on that series
0 permalink
5/22/2011 5:01:39 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Almost forgot these....

Biverduck got 4 out of 5 series correct, only missing the OSU loss. (Ironic, huh?)
FloridaBeaver and BlueSGJay also got the same four series correct but picked OSU sweeps to fall one point behind Biverduck.
0 permalink
5/22/2011 5:08:40 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Dodger Matt wrote:
Almost forgot these....

Biverduck got 4 out of 5 series correct, only missing the OSU loss. (Ironic, huh?)
FloridaBeaver and BlueSGJay also got the same four series correct but picked OSU sweeps to fall one point behind Biverduck.

Congrats RiverDuck. I'll be venturing to the land of where they banned Christmas next Friday to watch the Ducks and the Beavers. Should be an interesting series.
0 permalink
5/22/2011 5:15:09 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Florida Beaver wrote:
What is going on? The strange starting pitcher yesterday. The uncommon number of infield errors leading to an 8 run top of the 1st. Losing today and stranding all the runners on base. Not knocking the trojans, but we should be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than them and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than we played. Could have just lost our way out of a National Seed this weekend. Crap. Playing like this may give the quackers a moral boost for next weekend. Not a good time to sit back and admire our year. Casey needs to be kicking some tail this week (And tighten up his pitching coach and crew). (Maybe put Yeskie in 72 hour lock to keep him clear headed and sober)(oooo. That was kinda mean)

Had to leave the game after the 4th to get my daughter to softball practice. My wife made me turn the radio off in the car. She said I was driving like a crazy man. Oh well, probably good that I didn't hear the end of the game.
0 permalink
5/22/2011 5:27:07 PM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
ASU's loss to Washington somewhat softens the blow a tad, the release of the RPI rankings this week will be highly anticipated. Gotta wonder if the one loss to Wash does damage to ASU's RPI like it did Ore St's last week. But now does Oregon State's RPI drop out of Top 20?!?? A little telling stat: No team outside of RPI Top 17 has ever garnered a National Seed.
0 permalink
5/22/2011 5:49:07 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
NolesFanJosh wrote:
ASU's loss to Washington somewhat softens the blow a tad, the release of the RPI rankings this week will be highly anticipated. Gotta wonder if the one loss to Wash does damage to ASU's RPI like it did Ore St's last week. But now does Oregon State's RPI drop out of Top 20?!?? A little telling stat: No team outside of RPI Top 17 has ever garnered a National Seed.

I think Beavers should be a national seed, especially if they win the Pac 10. However, given the east coast bias, I don't think they have a chance now. I'll be curious to see what happens to Virginia in the rankings after being swept.
0 permalink
5/22/2011 5:57:39 PM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
I wouldn't say they don't have a chance, I just think that now it's not a 'Lock' per se, like it was a Week ago.

As for UVa in the overall rankings (I presume that's what you were referencing in the post and not the RPI) I think they'll fall to 5-7 range. UNC is gonna vault up no doubt.
0 permalink
5/22/2011 6:18:49 PM

ASU74
ASU74
I was in Vegas this weekend....glad I didn't bet my picks!

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
5/22/2011 6:56:06 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Dodger Matt wrote:
Almost forgot these....

How Ironic that I finally claim the top prize.. ultimately signaling the end of all playoff hopes for my beloved ducks. Well, all I can say is lets kick the beavers to the east coast next week. Nothing would be sweeter to see the Beavs open up in Florida with a 5 game losing streak. Well that will never happen, but the possibilities are still there. At least FB would be able to watch his team.
I would bet that if Thomas was in Center-field he would have caught the ball. UGGGGGG
0 permalink
5/22/2011 9:00:35 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Riverduck wrote:
Dodger Matt wrote:
Almost forgot these....

How Ironic that I finally claim the top prize.. ultimately signaling the end of all playoff hopes for my beloved ducks. Well, all I can say is lets kick the beavers to the east coast next week. Nothing would be sweeter to see the Beavs open up in Florida with a 5 game losing streak. Well that will never happen, but the possibilities are still there. At least FB would be able to watch his team.
I would bet that if Thomas was in Center-field he would have caught the ball. UGGGGGG

RiverDuck,

Congrats on your first, first place finish. I guess a pity win after this weekend will salve your wounds. 'Course the wound you receive next week, no bandaid will cover. Gonna rip an all new, great huge spankin duck hole for ya at your house so big, you're gonna be able to drive in and turn around an 18 wheeler.

I got to watch the Beavs last year here in Gainesville for the regionals. I think, even if we happen to lose our national seeding, we would still host a regional playoff and they would not send the Beavs all the way out here for Supers.
0 permalink
5/23/2011 8:06:47 AM

ASU74
ASU74
Riverduck:
I was in Vegas this weekend and my mom's neighbor watched Tyler Anderson when he palyed in Little League. Tyler's dad was the coach. They said they were a "classy pair". She has a Little Leage baseball he signed...way back when.

Being a Devil, I will be pulling for the Ducks next weekend.
edited by ASU74 on 5/23/2011

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
5/23/2011 9:15:07 AM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
BeaverBob wrote:
Dodger Matt wrote:
Almost forgot these....

Congrats RiverDuck. I'll be venturing to the land of where they banned Christmas next Friday to watch the Ducks and the Beavers. Should be an interesting series.

Where are you sitting on Friday? My parents are taking me to game 1 for a birthday present.
0 permalink
5/23/2011 11:02:27 AM

borgguy
borgguy
at least the husky's took one from ASU, they owed us that much after the choke job we had with them last week, magic number is 2. will be rooting for UCLA this week, beavs and bruins win on friday and OSU is pac10 champs.

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
5/23/2011 11:27:59 AM

pitching10
pitching10
Borgguy
Not sure that is quite right. UCLA is 1 back with 3 to go also. A Fri. win by UCLA and OSU only puts ASU out. I think you need 2 wins or a split series between UCLA/ASU before you can start claiming that title.
0 permalink
5/23/2011 11:38:25 AM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
SouthernBeaver wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:
Dodger Matt wrote:
Almost forgot these....

Where are you sitting on Friday? My parents are taking me to game 1 for a birthday present.

Not sure, but will find out. My buddy that has invited me is a Big Duck Fan. He played baseball for the Ducks before they gave up the sport.
0 permalink
5/23/2011 1:43:20 PM

MostUnknown
MostUnknown
borgguy wrote:
at least the husky's took one from ASU, they owed us that much after the choke job we had with them last week, magic number is 2. will be rooting for UCLA this week, beavs and bruins win on friday and OSU is pac10 champs.

Unless my math is off, Oregon St needs 2 wins to clinch. UCLA or ASU can win it with a series win and an OSU choke-job(Sweep or two losses). I could be missing something but I think thats how it's currently set up.
0 permalink
5/23/2011 5:20:18 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
BeaverBob wrote:
Not sure, but will find out. My buddy that has invited me is a Big Duck Fan. He played baseball for the Ducks before they gave up the sport.

Wow, really? I thought they were all dead.
0 permalink
5/23/2011 5:50:31 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
MostUnknown wrote:
borgguy wrote:

Unless my math is off, Oregon St needs 2 wins to clinch. UCLA or ASU can win it with a series win and an OSU choke-job(Sweep or two losses). I could be missing something but I think thats how it's currently set up.

Standings
Oregon State     17   7  
Arizona State 16 8
UCLA 16 8
California 13 11
Arizona 12 12
Stanford 12 12
USC 12 12
Oregon 8 16
Wazzu 8 16
Washington 6 18
  • If Oregon State sweeps Oregon, the Beavers are the outright Pac-10 champs.
  • If Oregon State takes two of three, and the UCLA-ASU series is not a sweep, the Beavers are the outright Pac-10 champs.
  • If Oregon State takes two of three, and the UCLA-ASU series is a sweep, the Beavers are tied with whoever swept the UCLA-ASU series, but OSU pwns the tiebreaker over both teams, so Beavers are the "official" champs.
  • If OSU loses two games to the Ducks, and the UCLA-ASU series is not a sweep, the Beavers are tied with whoever took the UCLA-ASU series, but OSU pwns the tiebreaker over both teams, so Beavers are the "official" champs.
  • If OSU loses the Civil War, and and the UCLA-ASU series is a sweep, whoever sweeps the UCLA-ASU series will be Pac-10 champions.
  • If OSU is swept, whoever wins the UCLA-ASU series will be Pac-10 champions.
0 permalink
5/23/2011 6:34:29 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Dodger Matt wrote:
MostUnknown wrote:
borgguy wrote:

Standings
Oregon State     17   7    
Arizona State 16 8
UCLA 16 8
California 13 11
Arizona 12 12
Stanford 12 12
USC 12 12
Oregon 8 16
Wazzu 8 16
Washington 6 18
  • If Oregon State sweeps Oregon, the Beavers are the outright Pac-10 champs.
  • If Oregon State takes two of three, and the UCLA-ASU series is not a sweep, the Beavers are the outright Pac-10 champs.
  • If Oregon State takes two of three, and the UCLA-ASU series is a sweep, the Beavers are tied with whoever swept the UCLA-ASU series, but OSU pwns the tiebreaker over both teams, so Beavers are the "official" champs.
  • If OSU loses two games to the Ducks, and the UCLA-ASU series is not a sweep, the Beavers are tied with whoever took the UCLA-ASU series, but OSU pwns the tiebreaker over both teams, so Beavers are the "official" champs.
  • If OSU loses the Civil War, and and the UCLA-ASU series is a sweep, whoever sweeps the UCLA-ASU series will be Pac-10 champions.
  • If OSU is swept, whoever wins the UCLA-ASU series will be Pac-10 champions.

Matt, I love the color scheme. Thanks for the primer.
0 permalink
pages: 1.. 3 4 5 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-10: Week 14 predictions