Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-10: Week 14 predictions

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/21/2011 10:37:43 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Sorry for the delay. I got home late, and I'm fighting a cold.

Day one

Cal 4, UCLA 0: Powered by outstanding pitching from junior righthander Erik Johnson (6-2) and a clutch three-run pinch-hit double from freshman Andrew Knapp in the 8th, the No. 25-ranked Cal baseball shut out No. 17 UCLA, 4-0. Gerrit Cole (5-7) took the loss, going 7.0 IP and allowing only one run on six hits. The Bears limited the Bruins to 3 hits. Arizona had a chance to take the lead in the eighth against the Stanford righthander. Appel put two runners on with one out, only to force Arizona into an inning ending double play.

Cal leads series, 1-0.

Stanford 1, Arizona 0 (11 innings): Freshman Brett Michael Doran's two-out single off the left field wall gave No. 25-ranked Stanford a 1-0, 11th inning victory over No. 27-ranked Arizona. Bryce Bandilla (4-2) took the loss, loading the bases with two outs with a walk, hit by pitch and another walk, before reliever Matt Chafee came on to face the freshman. The starters did not figure in the decision. Mark Appel went 8.0 IP, 6 hits, 9 Ks. Kurt Heyer went 9.0 IP, with 4 hits, and 10 Ks. Arizona came in batting .326, to lead the Pac-10, Stanford was hitting .306, second-best in the conference, yet the two teams combined for 11 hits total over 11 innings.

Stanford leads series, 1-0.

Oregon State 7, USC 2: The Trojans got on the board first, scoring single runs in the 2nd and 3rd. THe Beavers tied it in the 2nd and took a 3-2 led in the 3rd that they never relinquished. Jared Norris was a double shy of hitting OSU’s third cycle ever, having homered, tripled, singled, and being walked on four straight balls in his last appearance. He was also on deck when Carter Bell hit a long fly to center-right that might have gotten down for an extra-base hit but ended up in Alex Sherrod's glove as the third out. Brian Stamps also connected for a homer, an 0-2 three-run blast to left field that provided the final score. Sam Gaviglio improved to 11-1 on the season.

Oregon State leads series, 1-0.

Washington State 12, Oregon 6: Washington State collected a dozen hits, including seven doubles, and the Cougars overcame a five-run deficit to defeat Oregon 12-6. The Ducks scored one in the 1st then four in the 2nd to jump out to a 5-0 lead against Adam Conley (6-6), making his final home start. Wazzu closed the gap with three in the 3rd, then scored five in the 5th to take the lead 8-6. The Cougars put the game away with four insurance runs in the bottom of the 8th. Tyler Anderson (7-3) took the loss for Oregon. With the victory, Washington State (23-25, 7-15 Pacific-10) pulled even with Oregon (28-25-1, 7-15 Pac-10) in the Pac-10 standings and kept their dim postseason hopes alive.

Wazzu leads series, 1-0.

Arizona State 6, Washington 0: Brady Rodgers (8-3) scattered five hits and struck out nine, throwing his first career complete game shutout. The Devils offense exploded in the top of the third inning, plating five runs, all with two outs. Johnny Ruettiger led the Devils, going 3 for 5 with 1 RBI.

Arizona State leads series, 1-0.
0 permalink
5/21/2011 1:30:00 PM

borgguy
borgguy
game one results 4 points seperate 1st from last so still anyones week, but for those of us who picked ucla and oregon (like yours truly, ouch) things could south in a hurry. game 2 hopefully will bring some seperation lets see and good luck!

1) beaverbeliever20 24 7
T2) Wildcard85 24 6
T2) OpihiMan 24 6
T2) ASU74 24 6
T2) Dodgermatt 24 6
T5) rec 1347 22 8
T5) Florida Beaver 22 8
T5) southernbeaver 22 8
T5) CDinSV 22 8
T9) yellowlabosu 22 7
T9)caughtbysparky 22 7
T9) Beaverbob 22 7
T9) BBallJones 22 7
T9)MostUnknown 22 7
T9)borgguy 22 7
15)Oregonstatechris 20 8
16) riverduck 20 6

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
5/21/2011 3:33:07 PM

BeaverBeliever20
BeaverBeliever20
The Beavers are playing just terrible baseball. Down 8-0 in the second inning. Ben Wetzler was atrocious. Gave up 7 runs in 1/3 of an inning.
0 permalink
5/21/2011 5:05:18 PM

borgguy
borgguy
BeaverBeliever20 wrote:
The Beavers are playing just terrible baseball. Down 8-0 in the second inning. Ben Wetzler was atrocious. Gave up 7 runs in 1/3 of an inning.

the defense got it figured out, but the bats just arent there (barring a historic comeback by the beavs/ choke job by the trojans)

with virginia losing 2 this weekend, weve got to get our act together tomorrow

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
5/21/2011 5:35:38 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
borgguy wrote:
BeaverBeliever20 wrote:

the defense got it figured out, but the bats just arent there (barring a historic comeback by the beavs/ choke job by the trojans)

I thought Osich was our Saturday guy. What happened there? Anyone know?
0 permalink
5/21/2011 5:46:23 PM

BeaverBeliever20
BeaverBeliever20
Florida Beaver wrote:
borgguy wrote:
BeaverBeliever20 wrote:

I'd like to know that as well. I don't think Casey specified a reason as far as I know. He made a lot of strange decisions. I didn't understand Dylan Jones started over Danny Hayes.
0 permalink
5/21/2011 7:10:26 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
BeaverBeliever20 wrote:
Florida Beaver wrote:
borgguy wrote:
BeaverBeliever20 wrote:

I'd like to know that as well. I don't think Casey specified a reason as far as I know. He made a lot of strange decisions. I didn't understand Dylan Jones started over Danny Hayes.

my thoughts are he wanted a sure thing on Sunday. Rolled the dice with Wetzler. Looks like Nygren will be the starter for game 2 or 3 for next week. Nygren starts, beavers would have won.
0 permalink
5/21/2011 7:12:12 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Riverduck wrote:
BeaverBeliever20 wrote:
Florida Beaver wrote:
borgguy wrote:
BeaverBeliever20 wrote:

my thoughts are he wanted a sure thing on Sunday. Rolled the dice with Wetzler. Looks like Nygren will be the starter for game 2 or 3 for next week. Nygren starts, beavers would have won.

On a positive note- looks like CJ is looking like a friday starter as of late. Good thing for the Ducks next year. (Maybe with TA tanking, he won't get the money, and he will be back for next year...
0 permalink
5/21/2011 7:49:11 PM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
Virginia got swept, I'm kinda curious what this loss will do to Oregon State in DodgerMatt's favorite ranking system, but tomorrow's game is now crucial for Oregon State to win.
0 permalink
5/21/2011 9:20:27 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
I think for the ducks chances, OSU needs to win.
0 permalink
5/21/2011 10:20:53 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day two

UCLA 2, Cal 1: Trevor Bauer (11-2) pitched yet another complete game, his seventh consecutive and eighth of the season, giving up 5 hits and one run while striking out eight and walking one. The lone run against the Bruins came on Chad Bunting’s leadoff homer in the 5th. California stranded the potential tying run at second base in the 9th. Tony Renda led off with a single and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt. Bauer struck out Chad Bunting on a full count before inducing a hard groundball off the bat of Devon Rodriguez. The grounder was stopped at first base by Dean Espy and picked up by second baseman Trevor Brown, who flipped the ball to Bauer covering first base to end the game. Bauer is now in fourth place on the Pac-10 Conference's single-season strikeouts list with 175.

Series tied, 1-1.

Arizona 7, Stanford 3: Stuck in a slump of 15 innings without scoring a run against the Cardinal, Arizona scored seven runs over a four-inning stretch to take the game. Alex Mejia went 3 for 4 with 1 RBI for the Cats and is on a 13-game hitting streak. Kyle Simon (10-3) earned the win with 7.1 IP, 8 hits, 3 ERs, 4 Ks.

Series tied, 1-1.

USC 8, Oregon State 3: The Trojans scored all eight of their runs in the 1st inning, sending 11 men to the plate and knocking freshman starter Ben Wetzler (6-3) out after getting only one out. Wetzler was victim to some shoddy infield play that might have gotten him out of the inning earlier. With runners at the corners, a ground ball to Kavin Keyes that should have been a double-play ended up yielding no outs and a run scored, then Dylan Jones committed a fielding error that also could have resulted in a DP, but which scored another run. Alex Sherrod tried to sac bunt, which Wetzler decided to let roll foul...except that it didn’t. With bases loaded, Matt Foat hit a 2-run double, then James Roberts hit an RBi single. After Wetzler struck out Kevin Swick for his first and only out, James Nygren came in to get out of the inning. But the Trojans hit another intended sac bunt for a run-scoring single. After a successful sacrifice bunt (in which the Beavers got thee runner out at first), and runners again at the corners, Nygren gave up a 2-run single to Adam Landecker. Landecker was then thrown out at second trying to steal by a nonchalant Parker Berberet, who didn’t deign to get out of the crouch to nail the would-be thief. But by then it was over. Nygren pitched seven shutout innings after that, and Adam Duke pitched a scoreless 9th, but the Beavers couldn’t get enough offense to climb back. They scored two in the 4th on four singles, and one in the 9th. They also left 9 men on base. Niceville’s Austin Wood went eight full innings to improve to 5-6 this season.

Series tied, 1-1.

Oregon 6, Washington State 3: The Ducks broke a 3-3 tie in the 7th, scoring two runs on Brett Thomas’s double and Ryon Healy’s single, to take a 5-3 lead. They tacked on another run in the 9th to even the series with the Cougs. Sophomore Christian Jones (6-2) pitched eight full innings for the win. Oregon’s JJ Altobelli led the Ducks at the plate with a 3 for 4 performance, 2 RBIs, and a stolen base. Taylor Ard went 2 for 4 for the Cougs, and his 2 RBIs pushed him into the Pac-10 RBI lead at 49 on the season.

Series tied, 1-1.

Arizona State 12, Washington 0: Olympia, Washington native Kramer Champlin (8-2) pitched his second complete game shutout of the season in front of his family and friends at Husky Ballpark. Champlin struck out seven and scattered six hits over his nine innings. Johnny Ruettiger once again led the Devils, going 2 for 6 with 4 RBIs. Abe Ruiz made the most of his one plate appearance, a pinch hit two-run homer. The Devils had 15 hits today, and have outscored the Huskies 18-0 in the first two games. Arizona State is now (again) one game back of Oregon State.

Arizona State leads series, 2-0.
0 permalink
5/22/2011 10:01:46 AM

borgguy
borgguy
after game 2 there was plenty of movement but closer to the top only 2 points separate 1st from last now and the only difference in the top 12 is the fewest points possible good luck in game 2
[font=Helvetica]
[/font]
[font=Helvetica]
[/font]
[font=Helvetica]T1) yellowlabosu 22 12[/font]
[font=Helvetica][/font] T1) rec1347 22 12
T1) beaverbob 22 12
T1) bballjones 22 12
T1) mostunknown 22 12
T1) southernbeaver 22 12
T1) CDinSV 22 12
T8) asu74 22 11
T8) beaverbeliever20 22 11
T8) dodgermatt 22 11
T8) borgguy 22 11
12) opihiman 22 10
13) oregonstatechris 20 11
T14) floridabeaver 20 10
T14) caughtbysparky 20 10
T14) riverduck 20 10
17) wildcard85 20 9
edited by borgguy on 5/22/2011

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
5/22/2011 2:56:32 PM

BeaverBeliever20
BeaverBeliever20
Beavers' national seed hopes on the line but they aren't playing like it.
0 permalink
5/22/2011 3:12:39 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Well, USC is a good team, and they have three quality starters. Yesterday's 1st inning debacle ruined that game, and the anemic offense is going to do us in today. If we don't get to Odom in the 7th, we're probably done.

Boyd out, bases loaded. Not looking good.
0 permalink
5/22/2011 3:23:07 PM

BeaverBeliever20
BeaverBeliever20
Dodger Matt wrote:
Well, USC is a good team, and they have three quality starters. Yesterday's 1st inning debacle ruined that game, and the anemic offense is going to do us in today. If we don't get to Odom in the 7th, we're probably done.

Boyd out, bases loaded. Not looking good.

Schultz got out of the jam and Beavers showing some life. Back-to-back doubles by Stamps and Barnes and it's 3-2 USC now. Would be a big comeback win.
+1 permalink
5/22/2011 4:09:53 PM

MostUnknown
MostUnknown
Do my eyes deceive me? Did the Beavers just choke against USC? If UCLA hangs on against Cal they'll only be a game out of first. Next weekend should be really, really interesting.
0 permalink
5/22/2011 4:14:32 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Shiite. That game was totally winnable. Not knocking in runners from third with less than two out and that outfield bumbling that allowed that unearned run did us in.
0 permalink
5/22/2011 4:19:15 PM

BeaverBeliever20
BeaverBeliever20
The Beavers played pretty badly. They kicked the ball around in the fifth and the ninth to give two runs to Trojans. They were horrid with RISP all day. In the ninth Casey made a bad decision, IMO. USC's closer walked the first two guys in the ninth and he couldn't throw a strike. Casey then took the bat of the hands of Barnes by forcing him to bunt. Barnes had been swinging it well and could have worked a walk. You can't give a struggling pitcher a free out.
0 permalink
5/22/2011 4:26:22 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
What is going on? The strange starting pitcher yesterday. The uncommon number of infield errors leading to an 8 run top of the 1st. Losing today and stranding all the runners on base. Not knocking the trojans, but we should be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than them and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than we played. Could have just lost our way out of a National Seed this weekend. Crap. Playing like this may give the quackers a moral boost for next weekend. Not a good time to sit back and admire our year. Casey needs to be kicking some tail this week (And tighten up his pitching coach and crew). (Maybe put Yeskie in 72 hour lock to keep him clear headed and sober)(oooo. That was kinda mean)
0 permalink
5/22/2011 4:31:10 PM

BeaverBeliever20
BeaverBeliever20
Oregon takes a 7-6 lead into the ninth and with two outs give up a RBI double and an RBI single to lose. That officially ends their hopes, IMO. They will be gearing up to knock OSU out first place and take away their title hopes. Beavers will have to be ready. The team needs to bear down and focus this next weekend. They need to play to their capability and stop just showing up and expecting to win. They seem to be relaxing lately and not playing the way they should be. Hopefully it's better next weekend, especially since I will be there.
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-10: Week 14 predictions