Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Kendall - On LSU

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/17/2011 9:03:38 PM

CAM427R
CAM427R
I know you don't believe LSU is an NCAA postseason team, but I think they've got a fighting chance (coming from an LSU fan, I know).

Currently, they sit at 34-19 with an RPI of 24, which are probably the two best numbers LSU has going for them. They also have a win over Southern Miss and a series sweep of CSF. The bad is the 11-16 conference record.

But really, outside of that conference record, what are the negatives? They've swept a top flight team. Hold a lofty RPI rating. While being only 11-16 in conference, they're still technically speaking only two games back of a first place tie in the SEC West. They've also won 10 of their last 12 games and the tournament likes to take hot teams. I understand six of those victories were over SEC East doormats, but it shows there is life to this team. They also have a potential SEC player of the year in Mahtook and a young pitching staff that's got great stuff, but just inconsistent.

If they manage to take two of three from MSU this coming weekend they'll be sitting at 36-20, a top 25 RPI and 13-17 in conference. That would mean they would have missed the SEC tournament, but I still think that would make a compelling argument for an NCAA tournament birth.

I haven't mentioned LSU's fanbase and history yet because I think the committee doesn't really take it into much consideration (at least not as much as fans' think they do), but it is there nonetheless.

I might have gotten long-winded here but I'd love to hear more thoughts from you.
0 permalink
5/17/2011 9:22:35 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
CAM427R wrote:
I know you don't believe LSU is an NCAA postseason team, but I think they've got a fighting chance (coming from an LSU fan, I know).

Currently, they sit at 34-19 with an RPI of 24, which are probably the two best numbers LSU has going for them. They also have a win over Southern Miss and a series sweep of CSF. The bad is the 11-16 conference record.

But really, outside of that conference record, what are the negatives? They've swept a top flight team. Hold a lofty RPI rating. While being only 11-16 in conference, they're still technically speaking only two games back of a first place tie in the SEC West. They've also won 10 of their last 12 games and the tournament likes to take hot teams. I understand six of those victories were over SEC East doormats, but it shows there is life to this team. They also have a potential SEC player of the year in Mahtook and a young pitching staff that's got great stuff, but just inconsistent.

If they manage to take two of three from MSU this coming weekend they'll be sitting at 36-20, a top 25 RPI and 13-17 in conference. That would mean they would have missed the SEC tournament, but I still think that would make a compelling argument for an NCAA tournament birth.

I haven't mentioned LSU's fanbase and history yet because I think the committee doesn't really take it into much consideration (at least not as much as fans' think they do), but it is there nonetheless.

I might have gotten long-winded here but I'd love to hear more thoughts from you.

I think LSU has a fighting chance if it wins that series this weekend. If it doesn't, it likely doesn't have a chance and it SHOULDN'T have a chance. Look at my other reply about LSU ..... though the Tigers only are back a couple of games of Arkansas, check out the two resumes. Not even comparable.

LSU has a poor poor resume ... and it's really only in the discussion right now because of a terrible list of bubble clubs.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
5/17/2011 9:47:01 PM

CAM427R
CAM427R
Just read that thread about LSU, missed it earlier.

When you break down the RPI like that, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Damnit.

=)

I still think they'd acquit themselves very nicely in the tournament if given the chance. Could just be the purple and gold in my veins, though.
0 permalink
5/18/2011 2:44:13 PM

lsuchamps11
lsuchamps11
Kendall, when the committe looks at overall body of work on teams do they look at how many close losses each team has and if they had won those games there record would be better. Just asking cause LSU has lost so many "ONE LOSS" games this year in the conference to the top teams in the league. Your opinion please.
0 permalink
5/18/2011 2:57:25 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
lsuchamps11 wrote:
Kendall, when the committe looks at overall body of work on teams do they look at how many close losses each team has and if they had won those games there record would be better. Just asking cause LSU has lost so many "ONE LOSS" games this year in the conference to the top teams in the league. Your opinion please.

They'll look at that ... but as of right now, I don't think there's anything about LSU the committee is going to look at and say "man, they deserve to be in the postseason." Winning a series this weekend would at least put the Tigers a step closer to the .500 mark in the SEC. The committee was fried a couple of years ago when they put Baylor, who was five or six games below .500 in conference in the postseason ... not sure they want to make that mistake again.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
5/18/2011 6:44:20 PM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
CAM427R wrote:
Just read that thread about LSU, missed it earlier.

When you break down the RPI like that, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Damnit.

=)

I still think they'd acquit themselves very nicely in the tournament if given the chance. Could just be the purple and gold in my veins, though.

Damnit I agree too. I haven't seen those number but that doesn't help.

I think your right Cam, just feels like this team can make a run in a regional with McCune and Gausman on the mound. And you never know what can happen as long as the Tigers are wearing the Championship Gold Uni's.
0 permalink
5/18/2011 9:15:09 PM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
I'm just wondering (and afraid) that if the committee came down to the last couple of spots to award, if say, Georgia doesn't finish .500, and LSU was on that 'short-list' even if they drop series to Miss State, that committee would find a way to put them in based on them being "LSU" and hiding behind just the RPI and the SEC being the #1 conference in RPI.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Kendall - On LSU