Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-10: Week 13 predictions

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1.. 3 4 5 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/14/2011 8:25:10 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Dam! Oh, well, still a series win. A sweep against the huskies would have been better, but still, I'll take the series win.
edited by Florida Beaver on 5/14/2011
0 permalink
5/14/2011 8:27:06 PM

BeaverBeliever20
BeaverBeliever20
That was just atrocious. You're up 6-0 on the worst team in the conference heading into the bottom of the sixth, no excuse for a loss like that. The offense checked out after the third and Wetzler and Boyd had a meltdown in the 7th.
0 permalink
5/14/2011 8:39:50 PM

ASU74
ASU74
SouthernBeaver wrote:
Ariz 2-1
Stan 3-0
ASU 3-0
OSU 3-0
UCLA 3-0

No upsets this week,...

wtf a few teams including ASU & OSU are taking a dose of humility so far this weekend.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
5/14/2011 11:23:17 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day two

BTW, I think I'm going to score horribly this week. Probably not the only one....

Washington State 7, Arizona 6 (10 innings): Arizona led 5-1 going into the bottom of the 6th inning, but that’s when the Cougars scored five times against Arizona starter Kurt Heyer to take a 6-5 lead. Nate Blackham was hit by a pitch and Jones reached on an infield single to open the frame. Taylor Ard followed with a line drive over the wall in left-center field to cut the Wildcats' lead to 5-4. An error allowed Patrick Claussen to reach base and Matt Argyropoulos dropped down a sacrifice bunt for the first out in the inning. Arizona tied the game in the 9th off closer Paris Shewey, who has had trouble closing this season. In the 10th, Matt Chaffey struck out the first two batters, then gave up a two-out double to Kyle Johnson. After intentionally walking Cody Bartlett, he hit Trace Tam Sing to load the bases. Then he walked in the winning run on a 3-2 count. (For a replay, see Oregon State’s second game, below.)

Wazzu leads series, 1-0.

Stanford 9, Oregon 8: Oregon’s collapse matched Oregon State’s in game two against the Huskies. The Ducks jumped on Stanford’s Danny Sandbrink (1.1 IP) and Brian Busick (2.2 IP), scoring in each of the first five innings to lead the Cardinal 8-1. Stanford got 3 back in the 6th and four in the 7th on Stephen Piscotty’s 2 RBI double and Brian Ragira’s triple to tie it 8-8. They scored the winning (unearned) run in the 8th when the Ducks committed two errors. Madison Boer (3-5) took the loss for the Ducks. Chris Reed improved to 4-2 for the Cardinal. Danny Pulfer went 3 for 4, 2 RBIs, 2 runs, and 1 HR for the Ducks. Lonnie Kauppila went 2 for 4 with 2 RBIs, and Stephen Piscotty was 2 for 5 with 2 RBIs for the Cardinal.

Series tied, 1-1.

Arizona State 7, USC 4: The rebuilding Trojans continue to play tough. Down 4-0 in the 4th, they scored three on a 2-run homer by Brandon Garcia and a solo shot by Alex Glenn. They tied the game 4-4 in the 5th and held the Devils until the 8th, when Kyle Richter came in to face his first and only batter, Matt Newman, who led off the inning with a double. Newman eventually scored, as did two other Devils that inning, but Newman was the winning run, and Richter became the losing pitcher. Brandon Garcia went 2 for 4 with 2 RBIs for the Trojans. Andrew Aplin led the Devils going 3 for 4 with 2 RBIs. USC outhit ASU 13-9.

Series tied, 1-1.

Oregon State 9, Washington 3 (game one): The Beavers showed some offense that they probably wish they had saved a little for game two, blasting four home runs, including back-to-back shots by Andrew Susac and Ryan Dunn in the 1st to jump to a 4-0 lead. Jake Rodriguez hit a three-run shot in the 6th after the Huskies walked Jared Norris to get to him. And subfreshman Kavin Keyes hit his first college homer in the 7th, a two-run blast. Sam Gaviglio was not sharp, but earned the win, going 5.2 IP, 4 SO, 1 BB, 10 hits, 3 runs (none earned). Scott Schultz went 3.1 IP for the save. Keyes finished 2 for 5, with 3 RBIs, and 2 runs. Rodriguez was 1 for 2 with 3 RBIs. The Huskies outhit OSU 12-9.

Washington 7, Oregon State 6 (game two): Oregon State started off where they left off in game one, namely swinging the big bats. Danny Hayes hit a two-run homer in the 1st, Susac tripled in two in the 3rd, and the Beavers were up 6-0 after three. In the 6th, the Huskies scored two on a triple, double, and a single. The wheels fell of the cart for the Beavers in the 7th, when Ryan Wiggins led off with a homer off Ben Wetzler and Chase Anselment followed with a double. That chased Wetzler, and Matt Boyd came in to hit a batter and give up a double and single before being lifted for Tony Bryant. In the bottom of the 9th, Washington led off with a double and a single. Bryant intentionally walked the next batter to load the bases with nobody out to provide a force at home. But Bryant (3-2) walked in the losing run on a 3-2 count. Wait. This sounds like a combination of the Arizona and Oregon collapses. UW outhit OSU in the second game also, 14-11.

Oregon State wins series, 2-1.

UCLA 10, CS Bakersfield 1: Too bad UCLA couldn’t have scored some of today’s runs yesterday when they needed them. The Bruins exploded for 8 runs in the 3rd, highlighted by Cody Regis’s three-run homer. Trevor Bauer (10-2) pitched his sixth consecutive complete game, his seventh of the season, striking out 13 and walking two.

Series tied, 1-1.
0 permalink
5/15/2011 6:33:06 AM

ASU74
ASU74
Beaver fans:
Barring a total meltdown I believe Oregon State will win the Pac and get a National Seed. I think ASU will also get a National Seed and the PAC will be well represented. But.....be careful for what you wish for. Since the CWS new format in 1999 only 6 of 12 National Seeds have won the CWS and being the #1 seed is almost the kiss of death. Only in 1999 did the #1 National Seed win the CWS - Miami.

CWS winners (Bold is a Natonal Seed)
1999 Miami
2000 LSU
2001 Miami
2002 Texas
2003 Rice
2004 CS Fullerton
2005 Texas
2006 Oregon State
2007 Oregon State
2007 Fresno State
2009 LSU
2010 South Carolina

Last year ASU was dominant! #1 seed....Vegas odds didn't have anyone even close to them to win the CWS. ASU was a lock to win it. They got to Omaha and the result was 2 and gone. They had set a school record and won their first 24 games, but that didn't mean diddly in the post season. I wish they had won their last 24. It is not the best team statistically that wins the CWS, it is the team that has the guts to win it.

I obviously will pull for my Devils, but if they stumble along the way, I'll become a temporary Beaver fan, should they stumble, I'll support the Pac team that goes deepest into the CWS!

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
5/15/2011 8:08:18 AM

BeaverBeliever20
BeaverBeliever20
Hopefully USC helps out the Beavers today with a win over ASU. Oregon State should be up 2 1/2 games right now. That choke last night could cost them a Pac-10 title. If ASU beats USC today and sweeps UW the Beavers will have a ton of pressure on them against USC and Oregon. I hope OSU gets over this loss quickly, these are the losses that can really hurt the psyche of a team. I still think the Beavers get a national seed and hopefully the loss teaches the team a lesson. They need to step on the throats of their opponents and play a full 9 innings. They turn it on and off too much. They've shown a lot of heart and have had a great season, but I want to see them be more consistent during games. Need to be more focused.

ASU74, I'm with you, I support all Pac-10 teams in the regionals and beyond. I obviously want the Beavers to win a national title but also want the conference to do big things as a whole in the postseason. I sure hope ASU is allowed to play in the regionals. I definitely could see the Pac-10 getting 2-3 three teams to Omaha this year. ASU and Oregon State obviously will have great shots and I think UCLA can make a run with that dominating staff of theirs.
0 permalink
5/15/2011 9:37:42 AM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
I'm also with you, ASU74. Except for the toilet seats, I'll cheer for ANY Pac 10 team first in the CWS, though if multiple, I definately do have my preferences!
0 permalink
5/15/2011 9:50:42 AM

borgguy
borgguy
i know we won the series, but this is the worst feeling "win" i feel as if we had lost the series with the way we colapsed. that said, at least we still have a 1.5 game lead (go trojans!) that for all intents and purposes is a 2.5 game lead thanks to the tiebreaker. beaver magic number to win outright with 6 games left is 5 if asu wins 4 if usc does today, to get a tie is 4 and 3 respectively.

as for the ncaa tourney i would love to see 3 pac10 teams make it to the CWS and would love a rematch between either OSU and ASU or OSU and UCLA in the title series, that would be epic! ( i would even root for the duckies if they made it, which aint gonna happen this year)

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
5/15/2011 11:45:25 AM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I was looking at RPI in Boyd's World today. Beavers lose 1 game to UW and fall to 20th, down 9 spots.
edited by BeaverBob on 5/15/2011
0 permalink
5/15/2011 2:16:54 PM

'Runnerball
'Runnerball
Dodger Matt wrote:
: Mike McCarthy, a senior from Brentwood, California, right down the road from the UCLA campus,

Another Bakersfield fan here so CD has some company. But, I was a long time lurker and decided to register. Matt, I believe McCarthy is from N. CA Brentwood (up by Concord) our media guide indicates. When he is on, he is lights out. CSUB's offensive slump the last few weeks probably has cost them a regional berth. I hope we can finish up the season strong though and be encouraged to come out next year with Kernen's same high expectations.
0 permalink
5/15/2011 2:33:22 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
BeaverBob wrote:
I was looking at RPI in Boyd's World today. Beavers lose 1 game to UW and fall to 20th, down 9 spots.

down 20 wow.. what would happen with a USC and Oregon loss? Have not looked at their RPI needs. (too painful..)
0 permalink
5/15/2011 2:35:05 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
I like Madison stepping up to be a setup/closer guy. Starting was good, but my faves are him coming in and shutting down in High pressure situations. I think he will be a closer for the rest of his career. IMO.
0 permalink
5/15/2011 2:37:41 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
ASU74 wrote:
Since the CWS new format in 1999 only 6 of 12 National Seeds have won the CWS.

Only 50%? So what's the alternative? Seeing as how Oregon State won two of those titles as a nonnational seed, I'll take our chances as a national seed this year.
0 permalink
5/15/2011 2:41:30 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
'Runnerball wrote:
Dodger Matt wrote:
: Mike McCarthy, a senior from Brentwood, California, right down the road from the UCLA campus,

Another Bakersfield fan here so CD has some company. But, I was a long time lurker and decided to register. Matt, I believe McCarthy is from N. CA Brentwood (up by Concord) our media guide indicates. When he is on, he is lights out. CSUB's offensive slump the last few weeks probably has cost them a regional berth. I hope we can finish up the season strong though and be encouraged to come out next year with Kernen's same high expectations.

Oh, that's too bad. It was a better story for a kid a block away from Westwood to beat UCLA. I didn't even know there was another Brentwood, CA.
0 permalink
5/15/2011 2:48:52 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
BeaverBob wrote:

This is one of the reasons I scorn the Rat's Patootie Index. I hadn't been checking beforehand, but I believe we dropped even after beating UW. The way the Rat's Patootie works, teams like Washington are lepers. You don't want to even touch them. Doesn't matter if you win or lose, you drop in the RPI. That's why Boyd's RPI needs report says there was no way for us to finish in the top eight RPI given our remaining opponents. It's also one of the reasons why Rogers and Fitt are saying OSU, barring a meltdown, is a virtual lock for a national seed irrespective of our final RPI.

If you look at the more accurate ISRs, OSU is at #8.

Check out our RPI needs now. No way for us to finish in the top 16. Why doesn't the NCAA just admit the Rat's Patootie Index ain't worth a duckturd and scrap it for something better, like the ISR?
edited by Dodger Matt on 5/15/2011
0 permalink
5/15/2011 2:53:31 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Well, I can pretty much fold my tent now.. The things I have gleaned from this season is- Next year could be a great year for us. What would happen in the juniors stayed, and the freshman matured.. Healy has impressed me of late.
just saying
0 permalink
5/15/2011 3:48:25 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Dodger Matt wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:

This is one of the reasons I scorn the Rat's Patootie Index. I hadn't been checking beforehand, but I believe we dropped even after beating UW. The way the Rat's Patootie works, teams like Washington are lepers. You don't want to even touch them. Doesn't matter if you win or lose, you drop in the RPI. That's why Boyd's RPI needs report says there was no way for us to finish in the top eight RPI given our remaining opponents. It's also one of the reasons why Rogers and Fitt are saying OSU, barring a meltdown, is a virtual lock for a national seed irrespective of our final RPI.

If you look at the more accurate ISRs, OSU is at #8.

Check out our RPI needs now. No way for us to finish in the top 16. Why doesn't the NCAA just admit the Rat's Patootie Index ain't worth a duckturd and scrap it for something better, like the ISR?
edited by Dodger Matt on 5/15/2011

Easy DM, easy. It all come down to left coast, right coast. There always has been, but maybe not always will be, right coast bias. Football and baseball (thaks to UCLA, basketball includes left coast). The big difference? Time. TV will not cover games out here that run until 11 p.m. because most folk will go to sleep and not watch. There is very little cross coast watching going here, but ESPN other carriers of college sports will carry 85% right coast and leave left coast out in the cold. And since TV runs the media perceptions, the right coast is considered the "stronger" coast. Not true, but that's how the perceptions run. I say screw 'em. We know the truth of it.
0 permalink
5/15/2011 4:19:33 PM

MostUnknown
MostUnknown
Another week, another bound to be underrated performance by Adam Plutko.
0 permalink
5/15/2011 4:30:23 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
MostUnknown wrote:
Another week, another bound to be underrated performance by Adam Plutko.

Just finished my summary of that game, and the Roadrunners' pitcher, Jonathan Montoya, pitched well too. Very close game.
0 permalink
5/15/2011 4:40:27 PM

BeaverBeliever20
BeaverBeliever20
USC beats ASU 6-2. Beavers stay two games up on the Sun Devils. Great news for the Beavers.
+1 permalink
pages: 1.. 3 4 5 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-10: Week 13 predictions