Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-10: Week 13 predictions

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/13/2011 8:32:39 PM

MostUnknown
MostUnknown
BeaverBob wrote:
What's up with the the Beavers starting Osich instead of Gaviglio? Doesn't look like the move worked out for Casey as Osich got slapped around and was yanked in the 4th after 85 pitches. The Huskie are thumping the Beavs 4-2 in the fourth.

Join the club. Gerrit Cole is getting mashed. 7 hits and 4 runs in the first two innings.
0 permalink
5/13/2011 8:45:36 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
BeaverBob wrote:
What's up with the the Beavers starting Osich instead of Gaviglio?

Bob, Casey said on the pregame that they had intended to give him the extra day of rest this week a while back, then when they played a DH last Saturday, that made the decision easier for them. To top it off, Safeco is bigger than Husky Ballpark, which Casey called a bandbox, and Sammy's grounder-inducing pitching is better in that kind of environment.
0 permalink
5/13/2011 8:47:23 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Dodger Matt wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:
What's up with the the Beavers starting Osich instead of Gaviglio?

Bob, Casey said on the pregame that they had intended to give him the extra day of rest this week a while back, then when they played a DH last Saturday, that made the decision easier for them. To top it off, Safeco is bigger than Husky Ballpark, which Casey called a bandbox, and Sammy's grounder-inducing pitching is better in that kind of environment.

Thanks DM. I missed the pregame show as I was watching my daughter's softball game. It looks like the comeback Beavers are at it again. Just went ahead 5-4 in the 5th.
0 permalink
5/13/2011 8:48:48 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
MostUnknown wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:
What's up with the the Beavers starting Osich instead of Gaviglio? Doesn't look like the move worked out for Casey as Osich got slapped around and was yanked in the 4th after 85 pitches. The Huskie are thumping the Beavs 4-2 in the fourth.

Join the club. Gerrit Cole is getting mashed. 7 hits and 4 runs in the first two innings.

What's the deal with Cole. He pitched great last week but got beat up by the Beavs the week before.
0 permalink
5/13/2011 9:00:16 PM

MostUnknown
MostUnknown
BeaverBob wrote:
MostUnknown wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:

What's the deal with Cole. He pitched great last week but got beat up by the Beavs the week before.

Really have no clue. It seems like he's struggled for the last month and half really. I think I remember Kendall saying the velocity is still there so it's probably not an injury, but something mental. It's bizarre. Throw out those first two innings tonight and he's 1 run on 3 hits and goes the full 9.
Game just went final. 5-1 Bakersfield. UCLA managed two hits. The anemic offense continues. Kendall if you read this, I'd love to hear an opinion on Cole.
edited by MostUnknown on 5/13/2011
0 permalink
5/13/2011 9:24:32 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
SC beats the Devils 5-1. Gives the Beavers a little breathing room -- if they can hang on and beat the Huskies.
0 permalink
5/13/2011 10:23:43 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Dodger Matt wrote:
Was hoping to get a few more votes before posting this, but I'm bored and tired of waiting. Here's your pick analysis:
  • Oregon State, Arizona State, and UCLA are unanimous 18/0 picks to win.
  • OSU earned 15 sweeps, ASU 12 sweeps, UCLA 9 sweeps.
  • Stanford and Arizona are 16/2 favorites to win.
  • Stanford earned 5 sweeps; Arizona earned 2 sweeps.
  • Nobody voted for Cal this week.
  • We had 11 Beaver voters, 3 Devils, 1 Cardinal, 1 Bruin, 1 Roadrunner, and 1 unknown.
  • No Ducks voted in this week's predictions.
  • We have had no Wazzu, Arizona, or UW fans this year.
  • We are in the middle of the third straight year that nobody has even sighted a Cal fan. Not even a whiff of a Cal fan has been detected, and some of them can be smelled from quite a distance. Maybe we should start calling them the Golden Sasquatches, not just because some of their pitchers have as much hair as a sasquatch, but because their fans are so rare.
  • Last year we had a slight plurality of Devils, so this year marks a decided drop in Devil participation.

Matt, great info. It looks like OSU might have the only sweep of these three.

• Oregon State, Arizona State, and UCLA are unanimous 18/0 picks to win.
  • OSU earned 15 sweeps, ASU 12 sweeps, UCLA 9 sweeps.
  • 0 permalink
    5/13/2011 10:24:52 PM

BeaverBeliever20
    BeaverBeliever20
    BeaverBob wrote:
    SC beats the Devils 5-1. Gives the Beavers a little breathing room -- if they can hang on and beat the Huskies.

They do. Two game lead over the Bruins and Sun Devils now.
    0 permalink
    5/14/2011 12:22:49 AM

Dodger Matt
    Dodger Matt
    Day one

Oregon 6, Stanford 2: Oregon took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first as two hits and two Stanford errors plated two runs for the Ducks. Stanford scored one in the third on a passed ball. Down 5-1, the Cardinal scored again in the 8th on an RBI single by Tyler Gaffney. Tyler Anderson (8-2) held Stanford to one unearned run on four hits and four walks. Oregon’s Danny Pulfer (3 for 5), Kyle Garlick (3 for 4) and KC Serna (3 for 4) combined to go 9 for 13 with three doubles, four RBIs, and four runs scored.

Oregon leads series, 1-0.

USC 5, Arizona State 1: The Sun Devils scored an unearned run in the first thanks to two USC errors, and that’s the only lead they had in this game. USC scored three in the bottom of the 1st, and two in the 2nd for the entirety of the scoring in the game. Adam Landecker had three hits from the Trojans while James Roberts and Joe De Pinto had two hits apiece. USC’s Andrew Triggs (4-3) threw his third complete game of the season, striking out 6, walking two, and giving up 7 hits. Triggs has a 1.11 ERA in his last four Pac-10 starts.

USC leads series, 1-0.

Oregon State 6, Washington 4: The Beavers improved their record at Safeco Field to 2-1. The Beavers scored two in the 4th to overcame a 1-0 Washington lead, but the Huskies scored three in their half on B.K. Santy’s lead off solo home run and two doubles, which chased Josh Osich. James Nygren yielded a walk, another double, and an IBB before being replaced by Scott Schultz (3-0), who eventually earned the win with 2.2 IP, allowing just one hit while striking out two. Down 4-2 in the 5th, the Beavers plated three more. Michael Miller hit a one-out double, Brian Stamps reached first on a strikeout, and Ryan Barnes tripled them in. Kavin Keyes then doubled Barnes in. Barnes also doubled in the 9th and was batted in again by Keyes, on a sac fly. Ryan Barnes went 4 for 5 with two doubles and a triple, and Kavin Keyes drove in three runs. Tony Bryant pitched the 9th for his 10th save of the season. Double-header scheduled for Saturday because of expected bad weather in Seattle Sunday.

Oregon State leads series, 1-0.

CS Bakersfield 5, UCLA 1: Mike McCarthy, a senior from Brentwood, California, right down the road from the UCLA campus, tossed a complete game two-hitter as Roadrunners defeated UCLA 5-1 Friday night at Jackie Robinson Stadium. The 6-3 righthander struck out seven and walked only one batter. Freshman shortstop Tyler Shryock hit his first career home run to open the second inning for a 3-0 CSUB advantage. Jeremey Rodriguez drove in the first of his two runs later in third. Rodriguez made it 5-0 with an RBI single in the seventh. Mark Navarro got the Bruins on the board in the eighth with a two-out double that plated Chris Giovinazzo. Gerrit Cole also pitched a complete game in the loss, allowing 10 hits and 5 earned runs.

CS Bakersfield leads series, 1-0.
    0 permalink
    5/14/2011 1:20:17 AM

Florida Beaver
    Florida Beaver
    Good guesses to all those who picked the Beavs to sweep and not the others that played Friday (that would be BB20 and myself. Good picks BB20 and here's to perfect picks for us on the weekend). I was a bit worried that ASU was going to take them all from the Trojans, but noooooo. Gives the Beavs a bit of breathing room for the Pac10 title. With Virginia and SCe losing today, it secures the Beavs a little, very little, but a little none the less, more for a high national seed pick. I'd like to see Vandy loss a couple this weekend, but unfortunately, that would give the Gators wins and I'd rather tail Vandy than UF, so Go Vandy!!!!!

This is so dam exciting!!!!

BTW. Thanks for the daily recap DM. Always a pleasure reading your synopsis.
    edited by Florida Beaver on 5/14/2011
    0 permalink
    5/14/2011 2:59:13 AM

BeaverBeliever20
    BeaverBeliever20
    Florida Beaver wrote:
    Good guesses to all those who picked the Beavs to sweep and not the others that played Friday (that would be BB20 and myself. Good picks BB20 and here's to perfect picks for us on the weekend). I was a bit worried that ASU was going to take them all from the Trojans, but noooooo. Gives the Beavs a bit of breathing room for the Pac10 title. With Virginia and SCe losing today, it secures the Beavs a little, very little, but a little none the less, more for a high national seed pick. I'd like to see Vandy loss a couple this weekend, but unfortunately, that would give the Gators wins and I'd rather tail Vandy than UF, so Go Vandy!!!!!

This is so dam exciting!!!!

BTW. Thanks for the daily recap DM. Always a pleasure reading your synopsis.

I felt that the only schools that would be swept would be the Washington schools cause they are bad. I actually was originally going to pick Bakersfield to win the series but thought UCLA could win two, but now I'm not confident in that. I also thought USC would win the series but then convinced myself that wouldn't happen, hopefully second guessing myself doesn't burn me lol

As far as national seeding goes, I hope Vandy sweeps the Gators to pretty much make sure the Gators stay behind the Beavers for the rest of the way. I think Vandy loses the series @Georgia next week and Arkansas wins this series vs USCe. I also think Texas loses at A&M next week. As long as the Beavers take care of business they'll be a top three national seed. I do wonder, what if all that happens and Virginia loses its final two ACC series and the Beavers run the table the rest of the way, how far would the Beavers climb in the national seeding? They would be the only team in the top 8 national seeds to win every series in conference and not lose a series all year period. Their mark against the RPI top 25 and ranked teams is extraordinary. They would be 44-11 overall and 23-4 on conference play. That's as dominating and impressive as it gets.
    0 permalink
    5/14/2011 3:56:37 AM

Florida Beaver
    Florida Beaver
    yeah, well, I ain't gonna jump much further than us getting through this weekend. Being a national seed (even #8) and hosting a regional will be very, very cool. We haven't ever done that (although we DID host the super in '07)
    0 permalink
    5/14/2011 10:06:56 AM

borgguy
    borgguy
    game one stats, lot of people mixed together the two tops are ones who picked ariz to sweep and they havent played yet so that boosts thier score

florida beaver 24 4
    beaverbeliever20 24 4
    opihiman 22 6
    asu74 22 4
    yellowlabosu 22 4
    rec1347 22 4
    orstchris 22 4
    borgguy 22 4
    dodgermatt 22 4
    cdinsv 22 3
    beaverbob 22 3
    bballjones 22 3
    southernbeaver 22 2
    mostunknown 20 5
    caughtbysparky 20 4

good luck in game 20

--
    GO BEAVS!
    0 permalink
    5/14/2011 10:47:23 AM

BeaverBeliever20
    BeaverBeliever20
    Florida Beaver wrote:
    yeah, well, I ain't gonna jump much further than us getting through this weekend. Being a national seed (even #8) and hosting a regional will be very, very cool. We haven't ever done that (although we DID host the super in '07)

The Beavers were the #8 national seed in 2005. Of course, the two years they hosted a super regional and weren't national seeds they went to win the national title. But, getting to host a regional and super regional is extremely important, as it gives you a big advantage.
    0 permalink
    5/14/2011 1:23:26 PM

1whoknows
    1whoknows
    Question for all you knowledgeable fans:

If a hypothetical team (such as the Beavers) were to host and win the Regionals would they automatically be selected as hosts for the Super-Regionals?
    0 permalink
    5/14/2011 1:30:10 PM

BeaverBeliever20
    BeaverBeliever20
    1whoknows wrote:

If a hypothetical team (such as the Beavers) were to host and win the Regionals would they automatically be selected as hosts for the Super-Regionals?

As long they're a national seed, then yes they would automatically host the super after hosting a regional. However, if a team hosts but isn't a national seed then the host would go to the national seed they're match up with, but if the national seed loses in their regional then it would get to host a super regional.
    0 permalink
    5/14/2011 1:39:50 PM

Dodger Matt
    Dodger Matt
    1whoknows wrote:

If you are a national seed (#1 through #8), as opposed to a regular (nonnational) #1 seed (#9 through #16), then you are "automatically" guaranteed to host your regional and super regional (assuming you win the regional). If the national seed is upset, then I believe the higher seed left has the upper hand, but it depends on whether the two remaining teams have put in bids before then to host the super regional. There was some minor controversy over Michigan having to come to Corvallis the year they upset Vanderbilt (a national seed), but Michigan's stadium was under renovation at the time and there was no way they would have hosted, even if they had put in a bid. So OSU got the super.

BB20, you are faster than I.
    edited by Dodger Matt on 5/14/2011
    0 permalink
    5/14/2011 1:59:15 PM

1whoknows
    1whoknows
    DM & BB

Thanks for the detailed reply. Now I get it.

Now if we could only move today's games back over to Safeco. Looks like the rain is on the way.
    0 permalink
    5/14/2011 2:02:08 PM

Dodger Matt
    Dodger Matt
    Beaver fans: The OSU@UW game is streaming live at http://www.gohuskies.com/allaccess/?media=233690. Listening to Mike Parker on AM860, I detect no latency between the two broadcasts. FYI.
    0 permalink
    5/14/2011 2:11:56 PM

YellowlabOSU
    YellowlabOSU
    Susac at catcher today. His first at bat is a 2 run homer. Rodriguez is also back in the lineup.
    +1 permalink
    pages: 1 2 3 4 5 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-10: Week 13 predictions