Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Kendall, Poll info?

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/9/2011 4:13:40 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Kendall,

As I respect you as one of the more knowedgable baseball persons out there (even if I don't always agree with you) and knowing that you actually attend more than one team's games, can you help me try to understand some of these "polls", especially NCBWA and ESPN/USA polls.

No homerism, no flaming of ANYONE'S team, but..... ESPN/USA "poll" has USCe dropping a series to an uinrank Miss and stays at #3. Florida drops a series to the Razorbacks and drops 2 spots to #6. Oregon State wins their series and stays at #8 (tied with ASU who got swept by OSU)

NCBWA dropped USCe a whopping 1 spot to #2 and moved ASU up a spot to #5 even though they played OOC games this week. Oregon State won their conference series against a top 30 opponent and moves DOWN 2 spots?!? To #10????

Really, how much weight are these 2 "ranking polls" given? Yeah, I know polls are not supposed to be given any weight to who gets seeded and who gets regionals and where teams play their post season, but I do not see that they cannot get given some value somewhere as these persons are supposed to be the real deal (even if the NCBWA does hire personal ad writer hacks as their real deals).

So, any insights on the disparity between the above 2 polls and the BA, CB and PG?
+1 permalink
5/9/2011 8:05:30 PM

hogfan4life
hogfan4life
Florida Beaver, I feel your pain. Collegiate baseball dropped my Hogs after we took 2/3 from Florida haha! I wouldn't worry about it too much. You have a fantastic team and as long as you are a national seed you shouldn't have to worry about your ranking! I also don't understand how we can have a top 15 rpi and top 25 SOS and a team with a 50+ rpi and a 150+ SOS can be ranked... period. That's unreal..
0 permalink
5/9/2011 10:31:03 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Florida Beaver wrote:
Kendall,

As I respect you as one of the more knowedgable baseball persons out there (even if I don't always agree with you) and knowing that you actually attend more than one team's games, can you help me try to understand some of these "polls", especially NCBWA and ESPN/USA polls.

No homerism, no flaming of ANYONE'S team, but..... ESPN/USA "poll" has USCe dropping a series to an uinrank Miss and stays at #3. Florida drops a series to the Razorbacks and drops 2 spots to #6. Oregon State wins their series and stays at #8 (tied with ASU who got swept by OSU)

NCBWA dropped USCe a whopping 1 spot to #2 and moved ASU up a spot to #5 even though they played OOC games this week. Oregon State won their conference series against a top 30 opponent and moves DOWN 2 spots?!? To #10????

Really, how much weight are these 2 "ranking polls" given? Yeah, I know polls are not supposed to be given any weight to who gets seeded and who gets regionals and where teams play their post season, but I do not see that they cannot get given some value somewhere as these persons are supposed to be the real deal (even if the NCBWA does hire personal ad writer hacks as their real deals).

So, any insights on the disparity between the above 2 polls and the BA, CB and PG?

Well, let's face the facts, if you want to get a "researched" opinion, you can follow ours and Baseball America. There aren't two people in college baseball that follow the action more than Aaron and myself. I honestly don't even pay attention to the other because, for the most part, they're terrible. The NCBWA is just a bunch of SIDs and other media types that are only voting for their own interests, hence the strange rankings all the time. Collegiate Baseball uses a fake point system and I know SID's often end up doing the polls for the coaches poll. Had an SID that used to email me each week asking how I thought his Top 25 looked for submission for his coach.

It's really pathetic how little research some of my colleagues in the field do .... but what are you going to do? It just makes the work we do look that much better.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
+3 permalink
5/10/2011 12:03:52 PM

Eagle04
Eagle04
Kendall wrote:
Florida Beaver wrote:
Kendall,

Well, let's face the facts, if you want to get a "researched" opinion, you can follow ours and Baseball America. There aren't two people in college baseball that follow the action more than Aaron and myself. I honestly don't even pay attention to the other because, for the most part, they're terrible. The NCBWA is just a bunch of SIDs and other media types that are only voting for their own interests, hence the strange rankings all the time. Collegiate Baseball uses a fake point system and I know SID's often end up doing the polls for the coaches poll. Had an SID that used to email me each week asking how I thought his Top 25 looked for submission for his coach.

It's really pathetic how little research some of my colleagues in the field do .... but what are you going to do? It just makes the work we do look that much better.

Thanks for that response Kendall. I have been wondering how there is so much difference in some of the polls. One poll will have the Golden Eagles at 20/18 while another has us at 13/12. There just seems to be a big gap there. I understand a 2-4 rank difference but when you're talking 6+ spots, thats a little odd to me
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Kendall, Poll info?