Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » CHAT TRANSCRIPT: Check it out (5/9)

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/9/2011 12:59:05 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Posts: 7540
Here's our weekly chat transcript.

Link is now included: http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=5610
edited by Kendall on 5/9/2011
edited by Kendall on 5/9/2011

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
5/9/2011 11:19:39 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Posts: 7540
ttt

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
5/9/2011 3:31:49 PM

weg313
weg313
Posts: 134
K, you're going to have to explain to me how CSF "definately deserves to host", the Aggies are in the running for a national seed, but Rice is fighting for one of the final host spots. You do realize the records, RPI and SoS for all three teams are very, very similar? Sure, CSF is going to win the Big West, but that conference is a joke this season, with not a single other Top 50 team. As for the Aggies vs. Rice, you do realize the Owls are 2-0 vs. A&M this year? Also, you mention injury issues at CSF; what about at Rice (with Rathjen, McDowell, Fazio, Fuda and Rathjen)?
BTW, you say TCU must improve it's resume down the stretch, but that will be impossible for them to do given who the play the remaining 8 games of the regular season, and into the MWC tourney. TCU could run the table the rest of the way and see it's RPI decline for it's current #20 spot.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
5/9/2011 5:33:16 PM

Kenny Powers
Kenny Powers
Posts: 32
Rice fans, never changes, always complaining about being disrespected.

Why get so butt hurt by Kendall's opinion, Rice is not a Top 8 in any projections....deal with and quit crying

Besides Texas, TCU, A&M, OU are all better than Rice this year, no way Rice makes it to Omaha.

(yes I know Rice beat A&M, but one of those was midweek, in a 3 games series or in a Regional no way Rice could match A&M arms)
0 permalink
5/9/2011 7:06:48 PM

weg313
weg313
Posts: 134
Kenny Powers wrote:
Rice fans, never changes, always complaining about being disrespected.

Why get so butt hurt by Kendall's opinion, Rice is not a Top 8 in any projections....deal with and quit crying

Besides Texas, TCU, A&M, OU are all better than Rice this year, no way Rice makes it to Omaha.

(yes I know Rice beat A&M, but one of those was midweek, in a 3 games series or in a Regional no way Rice could match A&M arms)


??? Excuse me? I never said UT was not superior to Rice this season, though the gap is nowhere near as wide as you might lead one to believe. As for A&M, TCU, CSF, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, what exactly makes any one them better than Rice this year? Not record. Not SoS. Not RPI. Not road record. And not even record against Top 25/50/100. Just because those others were ranked higher in the preseason polls, doesn't make them better. As for the Aggies, we shut them out for 18 innings in our two victories-- one of them against their #2 pitcher. I also think you and others are grossly underestimating the Rice arms. They might not be the nationally familiar names that the Aggies have, but statistically speaking I like the Owls chances in a regional with Kubitza-Reckling-Simms as starters, and Wall-Duffey-Gonzales-Cingrani-Fant-Spurlin out of the pen.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
5/9/2011 10:28:13 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Posts: 7540
weg313 wrote:
K, you're going to have to explain to me how CSF "definately deserves to host", the Aggies are in the running for a national seed, but Rice is fighting for one of the final host spots. You do realize the records, RPI and SoS for all three teams are very, very similar? Sure, CSF is going to win the Big West, but that conference is a joke this season, with not a single other Top 50 team. As for the Aggies vs. Rice, you do realize the Owls are 2-0 vs. A&M this year? Also, you mention injury issues at CSF; what about at Rice (with Rathjen, McDowell, Fazio, Fuda and Rathjen)?
BTW, you say TCU must improve it's resume down the stretch, but that will be impossible for them to do given who the play the remaining 8 games of the regular season, and into the MWC tourney. TCU could run the table the rest of the way and see it's RPI decline for it's current #20 spot.


Walt,
I hadn't seen you on the site in a while, so I hope you're OK these days. As for Rice vs. A&M and Rice vs. CSF. A&M most definitely has the superior resume right now. Let's compare

RICE: 3-2 vs. RPI Top 25, 9-8 vs. RPI Top 50, 19-15 vs. RPI Top 100
A&M: 6-3 vs. RPI Top 25, 14-8 vs. RPI Top 50, 23-14 vs. RPI Top 100

Not real sure how you can call those two resumes comparable at this point. And remember, A&M finishes the season with UT. If A&M wins that series, it really doesn't matter at all what Rice does the rest of the way, A&M has a better resume overall.

Now, let's compare A&M to Georgia Tech, a team right there for a national seed right now:

GT: 7-5 vs. RPI Top 25, 12-6 vs. RPI Top 50, 23-12 vs. RPI Top 100

How again is A&M out of the mix for a national seed?

Now, Rice vs. Cal State Fullerton. Fullerton is definitely going to host because the West Coast has to have another host site. They're not just going to have two hosts with no Los Angeles area host site.

RICE: 3-2 vs. RPI Top 25, 9-8 vs. RPI Top 50, 19-15 vs. RPI Top 100
CSF: 1-6 vs. RPI Top 25, 4-7 vs. RPI Top 50, 15-11 vs. RPI Top 100

Rice gets the advantage there, but again, Fullerton has a HUGE geographical advantage right now.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
5/10/2011 8:07:44 AM

weg313
weg313
Posts: 134
K, I love how you conveniently leave RPI, SoS and road record out of your resume discussion, as well as Rice's 2-0 record vs. the Aggiies. Factor those two considerations into the equation (and we all know the Committee will do so), and Rice and A&M have virtually identical resumes. And while the Aggies end their season with UT, Rice ends their season on the road against a team with an even higher RPI than Texas (USM). If both teams run the table the rest of the way, Rice will have the superior overall resume. That's not conjecture, K; that's fact.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
5/10/2011 9:36:52 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Posts: 7540
weg313 wrote:
K, I love how you conveniently leave RPI, SoS and road record out of your resume discussion, as well as Rice's 2-0 record vs. the Aggiies. Factor those two considerations into the equation (and we all know the Committee will do so), and Rice and A&M have virtually identical resumes. And while the Aggies end their season with UT, Rice ends their season on the road against a team with an even higher RPI than Texas (USM). If both teams run the table the rest of the way, Rice will have the superior overall resume. That's not conjecture, K; that's fact.


Walt,
As of right now, SOS-wise, Rice 26, Texas A&M 22, again advantage Aggies. Also throw in the fact that A&M plays in a tougher conference. I'll go ahead and say it again, it doesn't matter what Rice does, if the Aggies win the next two series and play well in the Big 12 tournament, they're a national seed over Rice every day of the week ..... The committee will absolutely hammer home that vs. RPI Top 50 record all day and everyday. And one more thing, I doubt that 2-0 record plays into much. That committee definitely will put some stock into the game earlier this season in the Houston tournament, but doubt they will care too much about a midweek game. Well, they may care, but it won't be the determining factor. I still think either Texas or A&M definitely get a national seed before Rice does. You think A&M's resume is comparable to Rice right now, UT's is much, much better.

Texas: 5-4 vs. RPI Top 25, 14-6 vs. RPI Top 50, 28-11 vs .RPI Top 100.
RICE: 3-2 vs. RPI Top 25, 9-8 vs. RPI Top 50, 19-15 vs. RPI Top 100
edited by Kendall on 5/10/2011

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
5/10/2011 3:13:20 PM

weg313
weg313
Posts: 134
K, I have said from the outset that UT's resume is better. When did I ever say otherwise. The Aggies on the otherhand, have almost the identical resume-- especially when most recent record, road record and head-to-head is taken into account. Yes, as I said above already, if the Aggies run the table-- including winning the series against UT, they-- and not UT-- will get the national seed. No debate there. However, we're talking about now....and the Aggies have a lousy road record (big surprise!) and have played .500 ball the past several weeks. Again, Rice ends the season against USM for the CUSA conference championship, and at the moment USM has an even better RPI than Texas. If Rice runs the table they will almost assuredly cop a national seed, and deservedly so, as they will be conference champion of the #5 ranked conference (only slightly behind the Pac-10 and Big 12 in RPI) and would have an RPI no worse than in the #9 - #11 range (if that scenario plays out).

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
5/11/2011 9:02:30 AM

weg313
weg313
Posts: 134
BTW, K-- not saying Rice is better than Texas, but...as of this morning: Rice and UT are tied in RPI at #13/14 and Rice has a much better SoS (#25 vs.#58). Just saying. The reality is that the Big 12 and C-USA are quite comparable this year by any measure or criteria.

Also, with yesterday's blowout loss to FSU, I no longer think Stetson is a lock for a regional host birth; not when there are so many other southeastern schools ahead of them...and we all know the Committee seeks some semblance of geographic balance in their selection of regional hosts.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
5/11/2011 9:20:31 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Posts: 7540
weg313 wrote:
BTW, K-- not saying Rice is better than Texas, but...as of this morning: Rice and UT are tied in RPI at #13/14 and Rice has a much better SoS (#25 vs.#58). Just saying. The reality is that the Big 12 and C-USA are quite comparable this year by any measure or criteria.

Also, with yesterday's blowout loss to FSU, I no longer think Stetson is a lock for a regional host birth; not when there are so many other southeastern schools ahead of them...and we all know the Committee seeks some semblance of geographic balance in their selection of regional hosts.


Walt, sure Rice's RPI is close to UT's, but the resumes, overall, simply are not comparable right now from a national seed standpoint, especially the RPI vs. Top 100.

BTW, one thing you didn't mention in your analysis yesterday. While Rice finishes the season against Southern Miss, it also has 93 RPI Memphis this weekend. By comparison, A&M has 58 RPI Nebraska and Top 15 RPI Texas. That's a pretty significant difference for "final" two opponents.

As for Stetson, the Hatters actually went up a spot to 12 this morning. And let's face it, there's not another Southeastern host possibility with an overall resume as impressive as theirs at this point. Arkansas can climb into that mix, but the Hogs have a weak conference record right now.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
5/11/2011 10:17:21 AM

weg313
weg313
Posts: 134
Geez, K-- there is not that much difference (from an RPI standpoint) playing a #58 ranked team vs. a #91 ranked team...and USM has an RPI four spots ahead of UT. Stop exaggerating the differences here. Also, next Tuesday, Rice plays #43 Texas State and the Aggies play #108 UT-PA. Overall, a wash if you ask me.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
5/11/2011 10:28:39 AM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
Posts: 127
To kinda jump in the conversation weg (if ur WaltGreenberg from Rivals, it's been awhile) if you're saying that Rice can cop a National Seed, how do you stack them up against other Natl Seed contenders FSU, UNC, Ga Tech?!?? Surely you would think that the #2 RPI conference would get 2 National Seeds (1 of course being UVA) and we've already said that you can pretty much hand SCar, Fla, Vandy, Ore St as well as Ariz State N.S. as well. Which then only leaves 2 left and since you say Big XII will get one (either Tex or A&M) then that leaves one last spot to battle over if my math is correct on this.
0 permalink
5/11/2011 11:06:16 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Posts: 7540
weg313 wrote:
Geez, K-- there is not that much difference (from an RPI standpoint) playing a #58 ranked team vs. a #91 ranked team...and USM has an RPI four spots ahead of UT. Stop exaggerating the differences here. Also, next Tuesday, Rice plays #43 Texas State and the Aggies play #108 UT-PA. Overall, a wash if you ask me.


Walt,
In the end, we're in agreement the resumes are similar. I'd still put my mortgage on the Big 12 regular season winner getting a national seed over USM or Rice ..... just going off what the committee has done in the past. Remember when Oklahoma, with a terrible national seed resume, got a national seed a couple of years ago? Whether you or I like it or not, the "perceived" most powerful conferences get the benefit of the doubt more so than not ..... It's too bad USM's record vs. RPI Top 25 isn't better, because it has a national seed type of club right now.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
5/11/2011 11:15:11 AM

weg313
weg313
Posts: 134
1. Per the other poster, I was not referring to national seed considerations in my comments; only where Rice stacks up against UT, A&M, TCU, CSF, et al. Having said all that, I do think that should either USM or Rice run the table, copping the C-USA title in the process, they will most definately be in the running for one of the final national seed spots. Having said that, with regard to Rice, I'm focused on earning a regional birth at the moment...and our 16th consecutive conference title-- whether than be regular season or via the tourney.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
5/11/2011 11:21:40 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Posts: 7540
weg313 wrote:
1. Per the other poster, I was not referring to national seed considerations in my comments; only where Rice stacks up against UT, A&M, TCU, CSF, et al. Having said all that, I do think that should either USM or Rice run the table, copping the C-USA title in the process, they will most definately be in the running for one of the final national seed spots. Having said that, with regard to Rice, I'm focused on earning a regional birth at the moment...and our 16th consecutive conference title-- whether than be regular season or via the tourney.


Don't think Rice has much to worry about from a hosting standpoint right now, assuming it takes care of business against Memphis this weekend. Even if the Owls drop two of three at USM next weekend, they'll likely still make up for it by winning a few games in the league tournament.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
5/11/2011 11:24:22 AM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
Posts: 127
Ok wasn't sure originally where you were going with it thanks for clarifying. I do think the winner of Rice/USM series would be right in line for a host spot, almost a certainty if said winner goes on to then win Conf USA Tournament. But can the state REALLY get 4 hosts?!?? I would think Arkansas with ability to throw $$$ at committee by filling Baum with 10k+ would be likely to jump in that mix if neither TCU nor Rice seperate themselves from rest of jumble for last few hosting spots.

Also, with regard to Stetson, I think the thing they have in favor the most in history with committee's perference to reward smaller schools (UConn, being most recent) with hosting duties. That and a RPI @ #13 with also 8-4 record against Top 50 RPI, 18-5 against Top 100 doesn't hurt either.
0 permalink
5/11/2011 3:32:14 PM

weg313
weg313
Posts: 134
Money no longer buys a host birth. And Rice has done very, very nicely attendance-wise whenever it earns a regional or super-regional hosting birth. I do think that this year, especially, the southwest will get at least four host spots...but that will be amongst UT, Rice, A&M, TCU, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State...and even Arkansas is really more SW than SE (though it's in the SEC). That's why I was comparing Rice's resume to A&M and TCU. The Aggies are in good shape IF they take care of Nebraska at home (as expected) AND beat Texas next weekend...but the latter task is a long shot, IMO, particularly since 2 of the 3 games are being played in Austin, and the Longhorns own the Aggies of late. Should the Aggies lose that series, Rice will have the better resume given they're 2-0 in head-to-head. Really critical as I believe if either the Aggies or Owls fall back to a #2 seed they would be sent to either Houston or College Station.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
5/12/2011 8:38:23 AM

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Posts: 43
NolesFanJosh wrote:
Ok wasn't sure originally where you were going with it thanks for clarifying. I do think the winner of Rice/USM series would be right in line for a host spot, almost a certainty if said winner goes on to then win Conf USA Tournament. But can the state REALLY get 4 hosts?!?? I would think Arkansas with ability to throw $$$ at committee by filling Baum with 10k+ would be likely to jump in that mix if neither TCU nor Rice seperate themselves from rest of jumble for last few hosting spots.

Also, with regard to Stetson, I think the thing they have in favor the most in history with committee's perference to reward smaller schools (UConn, being most recent) with hosting duties. That and a RPI @ #13 with also 8-4 record against Top 50 RPI, 18-5 against Top 100 doesn't hurt either.


Most analyst would agree that barring a collapse Southern Miss should garner a Host spot. If we take care of business the next 3 weeks, we will be in the National Seed picture. As of this morning our rpi vs. Top 25 just went to 3-0 or 3-2 depending upon which rpi website you use (Boyd or Warren Nolan). Texas rpi vs. Top 25 just dropped to 4-2 from 5-4. Both teams have an opportunity to gain more Top 25 rpi wins with series vs. Rice and vs. Texas A&M, respectively. Plus movement of teams in the 25-30 range could effect their records. I actuall like Florida State's resume better than any of the aforementioned teams. The last 3 weeks of the season should be very interesting.
0 permalink
5/12/2011 10:19:15 AM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
Posts: 127
If UVa and GT both beat UNC, I think that would helps the Noles out a ton, that plus beating 2 Top 50 RPI teams in series' (NC State, Clemson) would surely vault the Noles past UNC in any discussion and it could come down to ACC Tournament matchup between GT and FSU in Pool Play.

Southern Miss is a mortal lock to host. I think Stetson after the past 2 nights, has suddenly found themselves on not-so safe ground. They need to take care of business next couple weekends, because Arkansas, Rice maybe even a team like Stanford or someone else from out of nowhere could snare it.

Love this time of year...and it only gets better.
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » CHAT TRANSCRIPT: Check it out (5/9)





Powered by AspNetForum 6.9.9.0 © 2006-2010 Jitbit Software