Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » More Baseball Coverage in the PAC12

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/4/2011 5:11:36 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Good news for PAC12 fans and college baseball fans in general, this'll translate to more baseball coverage spread over the major networks and the new PAC12 network.

http://www.mercurynews.com/cal-bears/ci_17993061?nclick_check=1

I think there will be a little jealousy coming from the BIG12/BIG10/SEC...

24+ million annually per school...Big props to Larry Scott!
0 permalink
5/4/2011 7:00:16 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Thank you God. Now I have another choice of college sports programs to watch other than SEC. There are times I hate living here when it come to college sports coverage. Thank you Larry.
0 permalink
5/4/2011 10:29:20 PM

BeaverBeliever20
BeaverBeliever20
I agree this is big. It's about time. There is only about 5 or 6 Beaver games a year on tv in the regular season, this will definitely make the number higher. It will also give a lot more exposure to the Pac-12 which has been needed. Really excited about this new tv deal.
0 permalink
5/4/2011 11:38:42 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Great news, indeed.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
5/5/2011 12:52:23 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
Good news for EVERYONE! Pac-12 fans win big, schools win big, networks get a decent contract, and since there are two networks, not way too spendy since it is split up, and the other conferences benefit from a precedent being set, helping their future negotiations.
0 permalink
5/5/2011 3:41:26 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
...football...
...basketball...
...basketball...
...football...
...basketball...
...football...
...basketball...
...football...
...football...
...basketball...
...football...

I didn't see one reference to baseball in this story. Cursing

BTW, Kendall, what do you know about the Pac-12 baseball schedule for next year? With Utah joining (and Colorado not particpating), has there been discussion of splitting the conference back into divisions? (I hope not.) Will we have one of those stupid conference tourneys? (I hope not.) What are the coaches saying and what would they like to happen? And when will we know for sure?
0 permalink
5/5/2011 6:34:27 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
DM,

Hopefully it won't have any effect on the baseball season, but I do believe they will have a conference play-off. No reason for it, other than to "make" us like the other big conferences. I like it just the way it is, so murphy's law will change it.
0 permalink
5/5/2011 6:56:31 PM

BeaverBeliever20
BeaverBeliever20
Dodger Matt wrote:
...football...
...basketball...
...basketball...
...football...
...basketball...
...football...
...basketball...
...football...
...football...
...basketball...
...football...

I didn't see one reference to baseball in this story. Cursing

BTW, Kendall, what do you know about the Pac-12 baseball schedule for next year? With Utah joining (and Colorado not particpating), has there been discussion of splitting the conference back into divisions? (I hope not.) Will we have one of those stupid conference tourneys? (I hope not.) What are the coaches saying and what would they like to happen? And when will we know for sure?

ATQ does a nice break down of it.http://www.addictedtoquack.com/2011/5/5/2154724/now-and-later-the-pac-12-tv-contract

So "the ESPN family of networks" will do some baseball games and the Pac-12 Network and the Pac-12 Digital Network. I really like that. So many more baseball games I believe will be on tv.

As far as a conference tourney goes, I sure hope they won't have one. It's not anything they need. Seems really stupid to even consider. The format they have right now works perfectly. I think they should have 27 conference games and skip one team a year. That would allow them to have the 29 non conference games which I like, and keep the 27 conference games.
0 permalink
5/5/2011 7:31:19 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I'd actually like to see 30 conference games...most it'd probably help the conferences RPI vs playing those extra 3 games against bottom feeders in the WCC/Big West/WAC (and yes I do realize that statement is arrogant...but the stupid RPI's numbers don't lie)
0 permalink
5/5/2011 9:50:45 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
OpihiMan wrote:
I'd actually like to see 30 conference games...most it'd probably help the conferences RPI vs playing those extra 3 games against bottom feeders in the WCC/Big West/WAC (and yes I do realize that statement is arrogant...but the stupid RPI's numbers don't lie)

I think it would have the opposite effect, at least until Utah gets better. You wouldn't be cutting out the midweek games against "local" bottom feeders. OSU plays Portland three to four times every year for single games because they're close. Same goes for Wazzu/Gonzaga, UW/Seattle, Oregon/UP, Cal/USF, Stanford/Santa Clara/SJSU.... And the midweek games in SoCal usually involve LBSU, CSF, UCI, UCSB, UCR, Bakersfield, and several others, whose RPIs are all higher than Utah's (right now at 108).

Utah's RPI will improve greatly from playing ten Pac-12 teams, but I don't think adding them to everyone's schedule will do such great wonders for the rest of us.

I just don't want to see a full weekend wasted playing--again--the same Pac-12 teams we faced during the season just to play a stupid conference tournament. Give me that weekend and the possibility to play a good nonconference team, to broaden the interconference connections.
0 permalink
5/6/2011 2:04:23 AM

DM you forget that keeping the 27 conference schedule would omit a different team for every schedule, OSU may not play UCLA or ASU for example. That's how it'll decrease RPI, if teams have to play UTAH now but omit a top 25 RPI team.

As far as a conference tourney goes...I too am fine without it.
0 permalink
5/7/2011 2:55:31 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
DM you forget that keeping the 27 conference schedule would omit a different team for every schedule, OSU may not play UCLA or ASU for example. That's how it'll decrease RPI, if teams have to play UTAH now but omit a top 25 RPI team.

Okay, I see what you mean. but I don't think we'd go to a 27-game schedule. The ACC and SEC have 12 teams, and they only miss one team per year. With 11 teams, the Pac-12 could play everyone for a complete round robin. No stupid conference tournament necessary. If Colorado adds baseball any time soon, then I'd see a divisional split and an uneven schedule. But I don't see it with 11 teams.
0 permalink
5/7/2011 5:35:26 PM

Daweez04
Daweez04
...football......basketball......basketball......football......basketball......football......basketball......football......football......basketball......football...I didn't see one reference to baseball in this story.

Football and Basketball are the sports that pay the bills and the reason we got this deal. Naturally the story is going to be about them.

But there has been mention of expanded coverage of "olympic sports" which is what Baseball falls under.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » More Baseball Coverage in the PAC12