Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Kendall: LSU Pitching

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
2/22/2011 8:33:43 PM

ccox11
ccox11
I have seen you state a few times that LSU's pitching staff is the main question mark regarding the team. Given the way we pitched last year, that is more than reasonable.

I just wanted to let you know, however, that the question is very quickly turning into "is this the best pitching staff in LSU history?" down here in Tiger Town.

I'm not sure that LSU has ever had 5 starters the quality of Gausman, Eades, Alsup, McCune, and Tyler Jones. In addition, we have more power arms out of the pen than ever before and Matty Ott is back to shut things down on the back end.

I'll admit it, I am downright giddy about the prospects of this staff.

P.S. Mikie Mahtook is a beast.

That was more of a comment. Here is a question: Why is Gausman (a 7th round pick) the #1 freshman when there are several freshman who were drafted higher, especially the guy from Florida? Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to see him so highly thought of-- I'm just curious...

Thanks. And thanks for your unparalled coverage of college baseball... The hell with Rivals. :-)
0 permalink
2/22/2011 10:13:41 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
ccox11 wrote:
I have seen you state a few times that LSU's pitching staff is the main question mark regarding the team. Given the way we pitched last year, that is more than reasonable.

I just wanted to let you know, however, that the question is very quickly turning into "is this the best pitching staff in LSU history?" down here in Tiger Town.

I'm not sure that LSU has ever had 5 starters the quality of Gausman, Eades, Alsup, McCune, and Tyler Jones. In addition, we have more power arms out of the pen than ever before and Matty Ott is back to shut things down on the back end.

I'll admit it, I am downright giddy about the prospects of this staff.

P.S. Mikie Mahtook is a beast.

That was more of a comment. Here is a question: Why is Gausman (a 7th round pick) the #1 freshman when there are several freshman who were drafted higher, especially the guy from Florida? Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to see him so highly thought of-- I'm just curious...

Thanks. And thanks for your unparalled coverage of college baseball... The hell with Rivals. :-)

Cox,
Gausman isn't the top freshman pitcher in the country. That distinction belongs to Florida right-handed pitcher Karsten Whitson, but Kevin isn't far behind and he has fantastic staff.

As for the LSU pitching staff, there's no question that based on velocities this is shaping up to be the most talented staff in a few years. But will it be the most productive against good teams? that's the question mark right now. The first weekend was extremely impressive, but I wouldn't throw my season's worth of takes into a single series against Wake Forest. These young arms are going to go through growing pains at some point, the question is whether it's an isolated event or a common event. I'm thinking it will be isolated.

Overall, I've been very impressed by LSU so far. I almost considered not ranking them at the beginning of the season, but thought a little better of it based on the talent it had.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
2/23/2011 6:41:58 AM

ccox11
ccox11
Kendall wrote:

Cox,
Gausman isn't the top freshman pitcher in the country. That distinction belongs to Florida right-handed pitcher Karsten Whitson, but Kevin isn't far behind and he has fantastic staff.

As for the LSU pitching staff, there's no question that based on velocities this is shaping up to be the most talented staff in a few years. But will it be the most productive against good teams? that's the question mark right now. The first weekend was extremely impressive, but I wouldn't throw my season's worth of takes into a single series against Wake Forest. These young arms are going to go through growing pains at some point, the question is whether it's an isolated event or a common event. I'm thinking it will be isolated.

Overall, I've been very impressed by LSU so far. I almost considered not ranking them at the beginning of the season, but thought a little better of it based on the talent it had.

Oh. I was just looking at the headline on the top 100 college freshman article which states "Kevin Gausman turned down significant money to attend college at LSU. Now, the right-handed pitcher is the top prospect in what is a very talented freshman class." That made me think Perfect Game was ranking him the #1 freshman.

And you are right, it will be interesting to see how the staff fares moving forward. I think LSU fans are going off more than just the first 4 games, however. Everyone involved with the program has been raving about this staff since the first week of fall practice. The first 4 games certainly did nothing to discredit that praise.
0 permalink
2/23/2011 8:00:04 AM

bamzoo
bamzoo
I always look forward to when I get to start seeing what LSU is working with every year. I think the shift in the West is going to be similar with Alabama: improved pitching-specifically depth (amplified by BBCOR), and instead of murderers row all the way down the batting order your 2 or 3 solid offensive contributors with "icing on the cake guys" the rest of the way through.
Guys that scare me this year:
Mikie Mahtook
Preston Tucker
Austin Maddox
Aaron Westlake
JBJ
0 permalink
2/23/2011 10:27:49 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
ccox11 wrote:
Kendall wrote:

Cox,

Oh. I was just looking at the headline on the top 100 college freshman article which states "Kevin Gausman turned down significant money to attend college at LSU. Now, the right-handed pitcher is the top prospect in what is a very talented freshman class." That made me think Perfect Game was ranking him the #1 freshman.

And you are right, it will be interesting to see how the staff fares moving forward. I think LSU fans are going off more than just the first 4 games, however. Everyone involved with the program has been raving about this staff since the first week of fall practice. The first 4 games certainly did nothing to discredit that praise.

that should say KG is a top prospect, not the.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
2/23/2011 10:32:31 AM

ntgreek00
ntgreek00
I don't think that we can take the Wake Forest series as the benchmark for our seasons success; however impressive it was. There are several really good teams in the SEC this year and we also have a date with Cal St. Fulerton which will show us exactly where we are. The bats will need to stay alive because these young pitchers will need help at some point and look what Auburn did last year with that lineup, and their meager pitching. I think the lineup is solid once Trey Watkins gets out of his slump.
I guess we will see. It is just great to be talking college baseball again.

Geaux Tigers
0 permalink
2/23/2011 12:17:56 PM

ccox11
ccox11
ntgreek00 wrote:
I don't think that we can take the Wake Forest series as the benchmark for our seasons success; however impressive it was. There are several really good teams in the SEC this year and we also have a date with Cal St. Fulerton which will show us exactly where we are. The bats will need to stay alive because these young pitchers will need help at some point and look what Auburn did last year with that lineup, and their meager pitching. I think the lineup is solid once Trey Watkins gets out of his slump.
I guess we will see. It is just great to be talking college baseball again.

Geaux Tigers

Amen.
0 permalink
2/23/2011 12:18:31 PM

ccox11
ccox11
Kendall wrote:
ccox11 wrote:
Kendall wrote:

Cox,

that should say KG is a top prospect, not the.

Oh, okay. Thanks for clarifying.
0 permalink
2/24/2011 8:55:26 PM

GEAUX-DAT13
GEAUX-DAT13
Trey Watkins watched alot of pitches this past weekend and midweek. Last year before his injury i think the thing that helped him excel so much was that he was a free, aggressive swinger. He'll be just fine..he'll find his stroke. As for the pitching, im not putting too much merit on the victories over Wake Forrest. However, i was impressed with the way they stepped right and and didnt flinch. The bats were hott this weekend, if we can stay consistent and continue to make it as least stressfull as possible for these young pitchers, these boys are gonna turn some heads
0 permalink
2/24/2011 10:41:19 PM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
I think we need to wait until the Fullerton and Florida series before we start even considering 'best staff ever', loooonngg way to go. I'm anxious to see how they play when tested.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Kendall: LSU Pitching