Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Kendall Question (Virginia/New Bats)

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/21/2011 6:47:34 PM

ACC Fan
ACC Fan
Kendall,

Is Virginia benefitting more from the new bats than any team in America? It seems like they are really being helped out by this change. I am a huge Virginia fan, but the data I pull seems to suggest that they are a club who likes the new bats more than most teams. See Below:

1. Virginia plays in basically the largest park in the ACC (408 Center Field with a high wall in deep center, 335 in the corners)
2. Virginia is 7th Nationally in ERA (2.35)
3. Virginia is 2nd Nationally in walks allowed per 9 innings
4. Virginia is 3rd Nationally in Hits allowed per 9 innings
5. Virginia 14th Nationally in Doubles per game

Basically, this says to me that Virginia, a staff that rarely ever walks a batter, and when they do it is virtually impossible to clear the bases, at their place, due to the size of the park.

I still think that Virginia has the best pitching staff in the NCAA, and that they would be a Top 5 team no matter what bats were being used, but they do seem to be working with the new bats better than any other team.

Another team that probably is liking the bats is Texas.

What do you think?
0 permalink
4/21/2011 7:50:04 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
ACC Fan wrote:
Kendall,

Is Virginia benefitting more from the new bats than any team in America? It seems like they are really being helped out by this change. I am a huge Virginia fan, but the data I pull seems to suggest that they are a club who likes the new bats more than most teams. See Below:

1. Virginia plays in basically the largest park in the ACC (408 Center Field with a high wall in deep center, 335 in the corners)
2. Virginia is 7th Nationally in ERA (2.35)
3. Virginia is 2nd Nationally in walks allowed per 9 innings
4. Virginia is 3rd Nationally in Hits allowed per 9 innings
5. Virginia 14th Nationally in Doubles per game

Basically, this says to me that Virginia, a staff that rarely ever walks a batter, and when they do it is virtually impossible to clear the bases, at their place, due to the size of the park.

I still think that Virginia has the best pitching staff in the NCAA, and that they would be a Top 5 team no matter what bats were being used, but they do seem to be working with the new bats better than any other team.

Another team that probably is liking the bats is Texas.

What do you think?

The big ballpark certainly helps. However, you touched on the most important stat of all, low walk total. With the new bats, and I said this a long time ago, if you can limit walks, you're going to have some success on the mound. Virginia is keeping the walk total way down, and you're seeing a lot of W's as a result. Also helps that the Cavaliers played really good defense behind their talented arms.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Kendall Question (Virginia/New Bats)