Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-10: Week 10 predictions

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
| you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/19/2011 6:56:36 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Let's get an early start this week because it's Easter this Sunday, which means the games begin on Thursday.

Here are the games. Numbers in parentheses are ISRs as of 4/18, place in conference, and rank by Perfect Game (when applicable).

• ASU (ISR 9, 4th, 13 PG) at Cal (ISR 12, 2nd, 16 PG
  • UCLA (ISR 30, 3rd, 20 PG) at Stan (ISR 17, 7th, - PG)
  • WSU (ISR 52, 10th, - PG) at OSU (ISR 7, 1st, 9 PG)
  • Ariz (ISR 28, 6th, 23) at Ore (ISR 64, 8th, - PG)
  • USC (ISR 69, 5th, - PG) at UW (ISR 172, 9th, - PG)

The top series this week is 4th place ASU at 2nd place Cal. On paper, these teams look incredibly close. Give ASU the edge, but playing on the road has to even it up again. Since this series features two of the top four teams contending for the conference title, a series loss could knock the loser out of contention.
Next, 3rd place UCLA visits 7th place Stanford. That's a misleading 7th place, however, as Stanford's ISR attests, so this series shold be closer than those standings would indicate. UCLA is actually tied for second with Cal, buttheir overall record is lower, which is why I put them in 3rd place. But this series could have consequences on the conference championship, if UCLA does not prevail.
Last place Wazzu visits first place Oregon State. The way these teams are playing, this should be no contest, but Wazzu is OSU's nemesis in baseball. The Cougs own an all-time record of 224-185 against the Beavers. It'll take at least 11 years of sweeping the Cougs for Oregon State to get to the .500 mark. Is this weekend the start of that streak?
In Eugene, 6th place Arizona takes on the 8th place Ducks. Both teams are struggling for postseason legitimacy. This series could likely doom one...or both.
And lastly, 5th place USC visits 9th place Washington. The Huskies have proven they can play, with a series victory over Oregon two weeks ago.
But USC has proven it better, with series wins over Oregon and Stanford. Plus they took one game each from both Cal and UCLA, teams that swept the Huskies.
The reminders:

• Vote for the team you expect to win and whether the results will be 3-0 or 2-1.
  • Pick teams in the exact order posted. This makes it easier for me to tabulate.
  • Use the team abbreviations listed in the sample below. (This means NO to "Furd" "UA" "WASH", etc.)
  • You can change your picks up until first pitch of the first game.
  • There are no prizes. We play for glory.
Points are awarded in the following manner:

Pick . . Result . . Pts.
3-0 . . . 3-0 . . . . . 6
. . . . . . 2-1 . . . . . 3
. . . . . . 1-2 . . . . . 1
. . . . . . 0-3 . . . . . 0

2-1 . . . 3-0 . . . . . 3
. . . . . . 2-1 . . . . . 4
. . . . . . 1-2 . . . . . 2
. . . . . . 0-3 . . . . . 1

A sample poll would look like this:

ASU 3-0
Stan 2-1
WSU 2-1
Ore 3-0
UW 3-0
0 permalink
4/22/2011 1:47:51 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
This bullpen of ours has managed to turn disparaging "experts" into Beaver Believers.

This is so dam exciting!!!
+1 permalink
4/22/2011 2:46:45 PM

BeaverBeliever20
BeaverBeliever20
Daweez04 wrote:
I know it is WAZZU but teams CAN'T like seeing Beavers #3 pitcher go 8 ip, 7 Ks and 1 ER......

Actually Nygren is probably the #5 or #6 pitcher for the Beavers. He's behind Gaviglio, Osich, Schultz and Wetzler, IMO. So if the Beavers' #5 guy in the rotation can go pitch into the ninth against the Cougars, they can't like facing Gaviglio, the Beavers' ace and one of the best in the country tonight, as well as Josh Osich the #2 guy who can overpower them, in the next two games.

The Beavers have so many options in the rotation, it's crazy.
+1 permalink
4/22/2011 3:48:05 PM

Daweez04
Daweez04
I would say Nygren, Shultz and Wetzler are all about even, but Wetzler and Shultz have much more upside only being Frosh. All 3 have looked great one game, then looked pedestrian next, consistency is def needed. This team doesn't have a concrete 3rd starter, I hope one of the decides to step up come playoffs.

I was very impressed how Nygren rebounded from walking 2 batters in the 6th, then striking out 5 of 6 in the 7th and 8th innings.
+1 permalink
| you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-10: Week 10 predictions