Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-10: Week 10 predictions

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 3 4 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/22/2011 11:50:16 AM

Daweez04
Daweez04
I know it is WAZZU but teams CAN'T like seeing Beavers #3 pitcher go 8 ip, 7 Ks and 1 ER......
0 permalink
4/22/2011 1:47:51 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
This bullpen of ours has managed to turn disparaging "experts" into Beaver Believers.

This is so dam exciting!!!
+1 permalink
4/22/2011 2:17:26 PM

borgguy
borgguy
so since im a bit of a numbers geek (and bored here at work ) i thought id figure out the standings after game one based on max points possible given a persons picks. in event of a tie most minimum points possible wins out, so without further ado

1) CDinSV 26(maximum points possible) - 6 (fewest points possible)
2) Asu74 25-4
3) Beaver Bob 24-8
T4) Opihiman 22-8
T4) Borgguy 22-8
T6) Yoyo 22-7
T6) Wildcard 85 22-7
T6) Oregonstate chris 22-7
T6) Dodger matt 22-7
T6) BballJones 22-7
T11) RiverDuck 22-6
T11) Southern Beaver 22-6
T11) WCC1 22-6
14) Florida beaver 22-5
T15) Beaver Believer 20 21-6
T15) BB 41751 21-6
17) Most unknown 21-5

let me know if you guys want me to keep doing this cuz i dont want to keep doing it if its annoying, likewise if you like it, im more than happy to keep doing it (and give dodger matt a bit of a break when it comes to figuring these out)
edited by borgguy on 4/22/2011

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
4/22/2011 2:46:45 PM

BeaverBeliever20
BeaverBeliever20
Daweez04 wrote:
I know it is WAZZU but teams CAN'T like seeing Beavers #3 pitcher go 8 ip, 7 Ks and 1 ER......

Actually Nygren is probably the #5 or #6 pitcher for the Beavers. He's behind Gaviglio, Osich, Schultz and Wetzler, IMO. So if the Beavers' #5 guy in the rotation can go pitch into the ninth against the Cougars, they can't like facing Gaviglio, the Beavers' ace and one of the best in the country tonight, as well as Josh Osich the #2 guy who can overpower them, in the next two games.

The Beavers have so many options in the rotation, it's crazy.
+1 permalink
4/22/2011 3:48:05 PM

Daweez04
Daweez04
I would say Nygren, Shultz and Wetzler are all about even, but Wetzler and Shultz have much more upside only being Frosh. All 3 have looked great one game, then looked pedestrian next, consistency is def needed. This team doesn't have a concrete 3rd starter, I hope one of the decides to step up come playoffs.

I was very impressed how Nygren rebounded from walking 2 batters in the 6th, then striking out 5 of 6 in the 7th and 8th innings.
+1 permalink
4/22/2011 3:57:53 PM

ASU74
ASU74
borgguy wrote:
so since im a bit of a numbers geek (and bored here at work ) i thought id figure out the standings after game one based on max points possible given a persons picks. in event of a tie most minimum points possible wins out, so without further ado

1) CDinSV 26(maximum points possible) - 6 (fewest points possible)
2) Asu74 25-4
3) Beaver Bob 24-8
T4) Opihiman 22-8
T4) Borgguy 22-8
T6) Yoyo 22-7
T6) Wildcard 85 22-7
T6) Oregonstate chris 22-7
T6) Dodger matt 22-7
T6) BballJones 22-7
T11) RiverDuck 22-6
T11) Southern Beaver 22-6
T11) WCC1 22-6
14) Florida beaver 22-5
T15) Beaver Believer 20 21-6
T15) BB 41751 21-6
17) Most unknown 21-5

let me know if you guys want me to keep doing this cuz i dont want to keep doing it if its annoying, likewise if you like it, im more than happy to keep doing it (and give dodger matt a bit of a break when it comes to figuring these out)
edited by borgguy on 4/22/2011

borgguy:
I know that took some work. Thank you, it looks good (and not because I'm close to the top Cool. We are all just one pitch away from humility. Please keep up the thoughtful work.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
4/22/2011 5:08:57 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
ASU74 wrote:
We are all just one pitch away from humility.

That's a great quote. Wise men will recognize its truth.
-1 permalink
4/22/2011 5:49:48 PM

BeaverBeliever20
BeaverBeliever20
Daweez04 wrote:
I would say Nygren, Shultz and Wetzler are all about even, but Wetzler and Shultz have much more upside only being Frosh. All 3 have looked great one game, then looked pedestrian next, consistency is def needed. This team doesn't have a concrete 3rd starter, I hope one of the decides to step up come playoffs.

I was very impressed how Nygren rebounded from walking 2 batters in the 6th, then striking out 5 of 6 in the 7th and 8th innings.

As far as a game three starter, I think Schultz is the man. He's the only who hasn't had a bad start, Casey has had a short leash on him but he I think has a chance to be big for them in the postseason. Could be like what Daniel Turpen gave the Beavers in 2006-2007.

As far as Wetzler and Nygren go, they are both shaky and if there was a fourth game where they needed a starter, I would start Nygren for about 4 innings and then bring in Wetzler for 3 or so. Nygren generally gets hit hard when facing the order the second time through, Wetzler has struggled as a starter but been really good out of the bullpen. That's what I see Pat Casey doing. Don't think either of them could start and go deep. Nygren had a good start last night, but he was extremely fortunate. In the second inning, if Brian Stamps doesn't make that diving catch, it's likely James Nygren may not have lasted through the inning, would have been a huge inning. It was a good start, but we can't overlook the fact that he was pretty lucky.
0 permalink
4/22/2011 6:18:23 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Parker Berberet on the pregame show: That was one of the most articulate interviews I have heard. That guy knows the game and expresses himself well. Thumbs up, Parker.

On the pitching staff and the starter situation folks have mentioned: I'm with Believer20. Nygren was a starter for a couple years, and while not overwhelming, he was consistent and reliable, but he is much better in a midweek game or doing four-plus innings in a regional where we might need an extra arm. So the Turpen comparison is spot on.

Beyond that, I am so geeked by this young and exciting pitching staff. Wetzler, Schultz, and especially Tony Bryant have exceeded expectations, IMO. And we also have Matt Boyd, Cam Booser, and Ryan Dunn, who are no slouches. We are deep! This team has a 2006 feel to me, only younger.
-1 permalink
4/22/2011 6:34:23 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Huh? Gaviglio has given up four runs in the first and he's not out of it yet....
-1 permalink
4/22/2011 9:31:08 PM

borgguy
borgguy
whew! what a game, good job beavs!

ASU UCLA and Ariz also won and SC leads in the 7th

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
4/22/2011 10:19:07 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
ASU 5, Cal 0: ASU wins a rare feat in that both pitchers went the full nine innings. Cal's bushyheaded leftie, Justin Jones (5-3), ran into the buzzsaw that is ASU's offense, and although it appears he escaped without getting a trim to his unsheveled locks, he was knocked around for nine hits and five earned runs. ASU's cleancut rightie, Kramer Champlin, from Olympia WA, scattered five hits and blanked the Bears for his sixth win (against one loss). Riccio Torrez led ASU in batting going 2 for 4 with one RBI. The Devils have worked their way back up the standings and into sole possession of second place with a 10-4 record. Meanwhiloe Cal drops to 9-5 and fourth place (pending UCLA's game later today). ASU will go for the sweep tomorrow.

ASU leads series 2-0.

UCLA 4, Stanford 1: Stanford broke a scoreless tie in the 3rd with a two-out, bases-loaded strikeout. Yup. Stephen Piscotty swung on and missed a wild pitch third strike, and made it safely to first, while Lonnie Kauppila scored from third. UCLA took the lead with a single and a one-out double by Cody Keefer, who later scored on a wild pitch. UCLA added a run in the 5th on a Pat Valaika double and Dean Espy single, and another in the 6th to lead it 4-1. Trevor Bauer pitched another complete game for the win, yielding one earned run and 2 walks, while striking out 17. Wow. Rubber game tomorrow.

Series tied 1-1.

Oregon State 7, Washington State 6: The Cougars jumped on the Pac-10's best pitcher in a big way, posting 4 runs in the 1st on a single, double, single, and two-run homer by freshman Jason Monda. OSU scratched for single runs in the 1st and 3rd. The Beavers tied it in the 6th on a single, walk, wild pitch, single, and sac fly. Wazzu retook the lead in the 7th scoring two more against Gaviglio, thanks to a Cody Bartlett triple. Bartlett was thrown out at the plate on the next play, but that was the end of Sam Gaviglio's less-than-stellar outing. Matt Boyd came in and finished the Cougars. Down 6-4, the Beavers tied it again in the 8th on a walk, a Brian Stamps double, a sac fly, and a single. And in the bottom of the 9th, Jared Norris knocked a leadoff double against Wazzu's Paris Shewey, then Danny Hayes singled him home for the Beavers' tenth straight Pac-10 win and eleventh straight overall. Tony Bryant (3-1) pitched one inning of relief for the win. Shewey took the loss. Cody Bartlett led the Cougs, going 4 for 5 with 2 RBIs. Danny Hayes went 3 for 5 with 2 RBIs for the Beavs, who attempt their third straight Pac-10 sweep tomorrow. The Beavers are the nation's only club to have two win streaks of 10 or more games OSU also won 12 straight earlier this season.

OSU leads series, 2-0.

Arizona 2, Oregon 1: Oregon scored in the bottom of the 1st on two leadoff singles and a fielder's choice. Arizona tied it in the 5th with a double, single, and two ground out. Tied 1-1, the Wildcats took the lead for good on a leadoff solo homer by Johnny Field in the 7th inning. In another pair of complete game efforts, Kyle Simon went nine for Arizona and got the win, while Oregon's Madison Boer pitched the full nine for the loss.

Series tied 1-1.

USC 12, Washington 9: USC jumped to a 2-0 lead in the first on a teo-run Ricky Oropesa homer. Washington tied it in the bottom half of the frame on four straight leadoff hits, three hits and Troy Scott's RBI double. USC jumped ahead in the 3rd on a James Roberts double, a single, and a sac bunt, then padded their lead by two in the 4th to take a 5-2 lead. the trojans added three in the 5th and three more in the 7th to lead by a preposterous 12-2 score, but Washington scored seven in the bottom of the 7th, highlighted by Chase Anselment's 2-run homer, to narrow the gap to 12-9. And that's where she sat until game's end. The Huskies outhit the Trojans 15 to 11 but also gave up 3 errors to USC's none. Niceville's Austin Wood (AW) got the win for USC; Aaron West (AW) took the loss for UW.

USC leads series, 2-0.
-1 permalink
4/22/2011 11:56:23 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Other than the Oregon/Arizona series, I could be batting 1000. I picked Oregon 3-0, but it looks like they lost a close one, 2-1.
0 permalink
4/23/2011 10:30:32 AM

borgguy
borgguy
standings after game 2 again in order of most points possible in event of tie highest fewest points possible wins out

1) asu74 25 12
T2) BBallJones 22 13
T2) dodgermatt 22 13
T2) opihiman 22 13
T2) southernbeaver 22 13
T2) borgguy 22 13
T2) yoyo 22 13
T2) oregonstatechris 22 13
9) CDinSV 22 11
T10)beaverbeliever 20 21 12
T10)beaverbob 21 12
12)wildcard85 20 11
T13)bb41751 19 10
T13)mosttunknown 19 10
T15)florida beaver 18 9
T15)WCC1 18 9
17)riverduck 15 8

lets see what game three brings good luck!
edited by borgguy on 4/23/2011

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
4/23/2011 6:33:29 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Well, I can finally say that the Ducks are playing their brand of ball right now. Just a little to late IMO. Anyway a series win against AZ is a first (recently). I was worried about AZ stacked bats, but I feel our pitchers controlled them pretty well. And a bonus, having us win and the northern club lose on the same day just makes things sweet. You guys had a great streak, but like all good things, they must end. Hopefully this will be a swing in the right, and wrong direction for both clubs. But you guys still won the series, so good job.
0 permalink
4/23/2011 6:37:49 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Oh- we should start a poll to see if the ducks RPI will break 75 from 112. Heck who even knows how the RPI thing works, but winning a series against a 34 should help. Who will it help or hurt more.. comments?
0 permalink
4/23/2011 7:02:55 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day three

ASU 6, Cal 0: Jake Barrett (5-3) pitched a complete game shutout to finish Arizona State’s sweep of Cal. Dixon Anderson (4-2) took the loss. Joey DeMichele led the Devils going 2 for 4 with 2 RBIs and a home run. Zach Wilson hit a two-run homer for the Devils. Vince Bruno went 2 for 3 for the Bears.

ASU sweeps series, 3-0.

Stanford 5, UCLA 4: The Bruins led for most of the game, entering the bottom of the 9th with a 4-1 advantage. Closer Nick Vander Tuig quickly retired the first two batters and needed one more out to clinch the series win for UCLA. But then Stanford strung together several two-out hits and walks: A single, a walk, a single to score one, then a Zach Jones double to score two more. Zack Weiss relieved Vander Tuig, and he threw eight consecutive balls to load the bases. Brandon Lodge was called in to get one out and take the game to extra innings. But on a full count, with two out and the bags full, Kenny Diekroger hit a single to score the winning run, a remarkable come-from-behind victory that gave the Cardinal the series.

Stanford wins series, 2-1.

Wazzu 2, Oregon State 0: The streak comes to an end. Wazzu’s James Wise (4-4) limited the Beavers to 3 hits over 7.2 IP, and the Cougs shut out the Beavers to claim one win. Wise walked 5 and struck out 4. Josh Osich (5-1) took the loss, going 6.1 IP, 2 runs (both earned), 8 Ks, 1 BB.

Oregon State wins series, 2-1.

Oregon 7, Arizona 3: The Ducks scored in each of the first four innings and owned a 6-2 advantage. The Wildcats scored one more in the 6th, but Oregon got it back in the 8th and held on for their first conference series win this year. Alex Keudell pitched 5.2 innings for the win. Oregon DH Ryon Healy led his team at the plate going 3 for 3 with a home run and 2 RBIs.

Oregon wins series, 2-1.

Washington 8, USC 2: UW held a 3-1 lead going into the 5th, then exploded for five two-out runs. After two singles and a hit batsman, Chase Anselment doubled in two runners, then head coach Lindsay Meggs’s son Joe hit a three-run homer to put the Huskies up 8-1. USC added a run in the 9th. Meggs finished 3 for 3 with 4 RBIs. J.R. Aguirre, 0 for 3, got both of USC’s RBIs without getting a hit. Austin Voth (3-4) pitched 7 IP for the win.

USC wins series, 2-1.
-1 permalink
4/23/2011 7:07:21 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Riverduck wrote:
Oh- we should start a poll to see if the ducks RPI will break 75 from 112. Heck who even knows how the RPI thing works, but winning a series against a 34 should help. Who will it help or hurt more.. comments?

RiverDuck, I wasn't able to find a radio station or a place that had the Beavers on TV while I am in Bend, so I listened to most of the Duck Game. Duck's radio announcer Jerry Allen has grown on me over the years. While I really like listening to Mike Parker, Allen probably has a better radio voice. I'd actually like to see the Ducks do fairly well the rest of the way. If they can win a series against UCLA and Cal, it should help out the Beavs.
0 permalink
4/23/2011 7:48:03 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
BeaverBob wrote:
Riverduck wrote:

RiverDuck, I wasn't able to find a radio station or a place that had the Beavers on TV while I am in Bend, so I listened to most of the Duck Game. Duck's radio announcer Jerry Allen has grown on me over the years. While I really like listening to Mike Parker, Allen probably has a better radio voice. I'd actually like to see the Ducks do fairly well the rest of the way. If they can win a series against UCLA and Cal, it should help out the Beavs.

Yeah, I actually enjoy listening to parker as well. He is a pro, and has experience with a team who has won it all, which means alot. I am an old bendite.. Did the Pine Tavern change their name? It has been a long time since I have eaten there, but year that tree in the restaurant is cool. I just got done with a 15k trail run in my backyard, and enjoyed the way the ducks played today. Felt good to watch Mcgough have success. He had a really rough, rough start of the year. Kudos for his turnaround.. thus far.
0 permalink
4/23/2011 7:52:41 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Yeah, I hear ya- I pretty much follow the beavs as well, but if you guys were to win the rest of your series but your last, I would be happy with that. Heck, you would probably still get seeded, and we would need it just to make the regionals.. if we won the rest of our series.. lol.
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 4 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-10: Week 10 predictions