Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-10: Week 10 predictions

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 3 4 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/21/2011 1:11:18 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Dodger Matt wrote:
SouthernBeaver wrote:
can't believe I'm jumping to the defense of a duck fan (one-time thing!), but I think if he doesn't see this in time, it would be fair to assume he means WSU will win the series 2-1 rather than give him a zero. He is, afterall, probably rooting for them heavily, and as you said, we tend to predict wins that we want sometimes, rather than what we think will happen.

OR...he simply refuses to say OSU 2-1 and sez Wazzu will go 1-2. As it is, I can at most provide him with one point regardless, since he'd have to vote for a sweep and get zero wins to yield a big yellow zero. But that's as far as I go. ;-)

Poor guy (assuming it is a guy, cuz I'm sure our southern brethern have at least one gal that likes 'em) can't even TYPE OSU. I say give him 1 point, but make it a green point. Course that yellow you used does reflect one of their football inis color scheme. But, this IS baseball so I vote for 1 green point, win lose or draw on his/her pick.
0 permalink
4/21/2011 6:59:10 AM

ASU74
ASU74
Dodger Matt wrote:
Lotta newbies this week (which is good, to be expected...as this board grows). Those new to the game: I do like to know which Pac-10 team you root for. If you're outside the conference and just want to play, that's cool too. But if you pull for one particular team, let me know.

ASU74: That's the "boldest" (I might even use another superlative) prediction I've seen in a long time, but not outside plausibility. The more sweeps you predict, the greater the reward if you win, but also the greater the penalty if you lose, so good luck to you.

Lastly, I still need a response from RiverDuck about the OSU/WSU series. Right now you have a big yellow ZERO next to your name for that series, so give me the right prediction before tomorrow evening.

THX DM
I feel that it is "do or die" week for a lot of teams. Other teams are coming into this weekend with a chip on their shoulder. Statements need to be made this week from a lot of clubs. The Beavers will eventually faulter, and their win streak will end, but I don't think it will be this week. We will soon see if their best brand of baseball is ahead or behind them. Last years out of the box streak for ASU & UCLA didn't mean didley in the post season. There is a lot of talent in the Pac & it is time to see who will rise to the challenge and who will faulter. It will be an interesting week. Good luck to all.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
4/21/2011 11:19:13 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
ASU-Cal starts early. So here are my picks....

ASU 2-1
UCLA 2-1
OSU 3-0
Ariz 2-1
USC 2-1

Flipped on the UCLA-Stanford pick. I think Stanford is due, but it is hard to bet against Cole and Bauer.
-1 permalink
4/21/2011 1:18:18 PM

CDinSV
CDinSV
Could be in interesting week in the Pac.

ASU 3-0
Stan 2-1 (I switched my vote maybe 25 times before finally writing this. The true question on this series is will the UCLA bats make the trip?)
WSU 2-1
Ore 3-0
USC 3-0 (From what I've seen, the Huskies just plan suck, sorry to all of the Husky fans, but that is the way I see it)

I root for a team outside of the Pac, but I live on the West Coast so I pay attention to the "Power" Conference.
edited by CDinSV on 4/21/2011
0 permalink
4/21/2011 2:23:51 PM

BBallJones
BBallJones
ASU 2-1
UCLA 2-1
OSU 3-0
Ariz 2-1
USC 2-1

I root for the Beavers.
0 permalink
4/21/2011 4:34:08 PM

if you couldnt tell from my signature i root for the beavers
0 permalink
4/21/2011 4:52:02 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Dodger Matt wrote:
Riverduck wrote:
Cal 2-1
UCLA 2-1
WSU 2-1
Ore- 3-0
USC 2-1

Thanks for the vote of confidence BB, I agree with you, but i am jaded.. lol

River, I need you to clarify that OSU score. WSU 1-2 is not an option. Do you mean WSU 2-1 or OSU 2-1?
0 permalink
4/21/2011 4:52:37 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Fixed it Dodger-just before the game lol
0 permalink
4/21/2011 6:27:14 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt

Ah yes. We all know that Guests are Beaver fans. ;-)

Tip o' the day: Avoid that lame "quick reply" link at the bottom unless you want to be anonymous.
BTW, I root for the beer.
-1 permalink
4/21/2011 6:32:42 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Riverduck wrote:
Fixed it Dodger-just before the game lol

Okay, River. I was beginning to wonder about that expensive Duck education you got there. You have convinced me that everything is right with Duck U smarts, and I guess now my world is back to normal. ;-)

Just so you know: You are in the extreme minority on that vote. That could lead to an unusually higher score when everyone else tanks, or (more likely) an unusually low score. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for playing. We need more Ducks. And Bruins, Wildcats, Trees, Huskies, Cougars, Bears, Trojans, oh my....
-1 permalink
4/21/2011 6:38:20 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Awesome game in Berkeley to start the weekend, with Cal tying it at 2 and then tying it again in the 9th at 3. Now in the 11th.

Also, James Nygren is starting for Oregon State. I didn't hear the pregame explanation. Is it because Yeskie wants to keep Gaviglio for a Friday start with his usual amount of rest? Hope there is no other reason....
-1 permalink
4/21/2011 6:44:07 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
CDinSV wrote:

Ore 3-0
USC 3-0 (From what I've seen, the Huskies just plan suck, sorry to all of the Husky fans, but that is the way I see it)

I root for a team outside of the Pac, but I live on the West Coast so I pay attention to the "Power" Conference.
edited by CDinSV on 4/21/2011

I kinda guessed that from your tag. Fresno State fan? Just behave....

One comment on a pair of your picks. I don't think the Huskies "just plan [sic] suck. Yes, they suck, but it's not that plain. For example, they took two of three from that team in Eugene you have chosen to sweep a very good Arizona team. That's just not plain sucking, IMNSHO.
-1 permalink
4/21/2011 7:26:56 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Pick analysis
  • We have 22 picks this week, our current highest total.
  • The overwhelming favorite this week is Oregon State, the recipient of a 20-2 vote over last place Wazzu, with 19 sweeps.
  • Close behind OSU is USC, also a 20-2 favorite over the other Evergreen State team, Washington. The Trojans earned 4 votes for sweeps over UW.
  • The next highest vote-getter was Arizona, a 16-6 favorite over home team Oregon. UA garnered 4 sweep votes to Oregon's 3 sweeps, so this series provides the widest range of possibilities.
  • Our top two series this weekend are also our two closest in terms of predictions.
  • ASU has a 15-7 edge over Cal, with two sweeps. Cal earned no sweep votes.
  • And the closest series of the week should be UCLA at Stanford. The Bruins have a 13-9 advantage in wins over the Cardinal with two sweeps (to Stanford's zero).
-1 permalink
4/21/2011 9:13:22 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Any of you Beaver fans listening to Brian Stamps on the postgame show. It is no coincidence to me that superfast guys like Stamps TALK superfast too, but I find it funny regardless. He is so quick with the words as well as the legs.

Ninth straight conference win by the Beavers.
0 permalink
4/21/2011 9:41:42 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day one:

Several very close games today.

Arizona State 6, Cal 4 (17 innings): The Devils took a 2-0 lead with single runs in the 2nd and 3rd, but Cal evened the score with two in the bottom of the 4th. And there the core styed until the 10th when ASU scored on a Joey DeMichele two-out single. Cal evened the score again with three singles in the bottom half. The score remained tied 4-4 for another three innings, until the 17th. ASU got a single, sac bunt, single, and a walk to load the bases with one out. Deven Marrero singled two in. Cal got a two-out runner in the bottom othe 17th but couldn't score. ASu finished with 17 hits and 3 errors. Cal had 12 hits and no errors.

ASU leads series 1-0.

Stanford 7, UCLA 4: Stanford jumped to a 3-0 lead in the second on twwwo singles and a three-run Zach Jones homer. UCLA scored two on a double by Chris Giovinazzo the next inning, then tied it in the 6th. Stanford retook a one-run lead in the bottom half of the inning and scored two more in the 7th for a 6-3 lead. By then, Gerrit Cole was out of the game, having gone 6.1 IP and surrendering 6 ERs. Stanford added three in the 7th, highlighted by Tyler Gaffney's two-run homer followed by Stephen Piscotty's solo shot. UCLA scored an unearned run in the 8th, but it was not enough. Mark Appel (3-4) got the win; Garrit Cole (4-5) took the loss.

Stanford leads series 1-0.

Oregon State 4, Washington State 2: The Beavers started James Nygren, a typical midweek starter, instead of regular Friday night ace Sam Gaviglio, and Nygren (6-1) went 8.0 IP for the win. Wazzu outhit OSU 7-6, but the Beavers took adavantage of several misplayed balls and one error. OSU scored three in the 7th on a sinbgle, two doubles, and another single. Wazzu scored one more in the 9th to make the final score. Nygren finished with 1 ER, 8 Ks, and 3 walks. Tonay Bryant, now on the Stopper of the Year Award watch list, earned his 7th save. OSU has earned nine straight Pac-10 wins and ten straight overall.

Oregon State leads series 1-0.

Oregon 4, Arizona 2: Oregon jumped on the scoreboard first with single runs in the 2nd and 3rd. Arizona tied it at 2 with a two-run 4th. Oregon retook the lead with two in the 8th on a single, sac bunt, and two two-out singles. Oregon outhit Arizona 11-3. Tyler Anderson (6-1) pitched a complete 9 IP, 3-hit, 2 ER game for the win. Kurt Heyer (6-2) went 7.2 IP the loss.

Oregon leads series 1-0.

USC 2, Washington 1: Washington struck first in the 1st with a walk and a double. USC took the lead in the 2nd with a single, a walk, and a two-run double by James Roberts. That was the end of the scoring. Andrew Triggs (3-3) pitched a full 9 IP for the win. Geoff Brown (1-4) went 8 IP in the loss for UW though he gave up only 2 ERs.

USC leads series 1-0.
-1 permalink
4/21/2011 10:45:07 PM

CaughtBySparky
CaughtBySparky
Forgot to put in my picksMad
0 permalink
4/22/2011 6:09:26 AM

YoYo
YoYo
Big time Beaver fan.
0 permalink
4/22/2011 8:57:43 AM

borgguy
borgguy
Dodger Matt wrote:

Ah yes. We all know that Guests are Beaver fans. ;-)

Tip o' the day: Avoid that lame "quick reply" link at the bottom unless you want to be anonymous.
BTW, I root for the beer.

thanks DM i will remember that, it was my post, still learning my way around here.

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
4/22/2011 10:06:53 AM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
With no inside info, guessing gaviglio waiting til Friday is to keep him in his timing rhythm. I mean... He is used to Fridays, so it makes sense to treat Thursday as a midweek game.
0 permalink
4/22/2011 10:11:29 AM

borgguy
borgguy
SouthernBeaver wrote:
With no inside info, guessing gaviglio waiting til Friday is to keep him in his timing rhythm. I mean... He is used to Fridays, so it makes sense to treat Thursday as a midweek game.

i was listening to the pregrame yesterday and thats what mike parker was saying, that he would start his usual friday

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 4 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-10: Week 10 predictions