Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » What poll do you put the least amount of stock in?

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/17/2011 10:39:50 PM

prongATO
prongATO
I've noticed some HUGE variances between the polls. I just wanted to get some feedback on which poll people consider to be the least credible..

discuss
0 permalink
4/18/2011 1:13:12 AM

BeaverQuist
BeaverQuist
I think Kendall does one of the best jobs out of any of the publications that put out a poll. I also really enjoy Baseball America's as well.
0 permalink
4/18/2011 1:45:51 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
National Collegiate Baseball Writer's poll (which is also the poll used to post D1 Baseballs scores). It seems too indisciminate and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what their standings are based on. They use 40 writers and other "media related" voters, which I guess could be the cameraman taping the game. It, as far as I can tell, uses the "who is my favorite or least favorite team" standard for the voters to use.

I like the Baseball America poll, and Perfect Game's poll, although Kendall seems to use the "team I like" factor in making some of his rankings. However, in his defense, once that team commences to really blow, he does drop them pretty swiftly
0 permalink
4/18/2011 1:48:09 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
As weird as it sounds I find that the Coaches poll is usually the one that makes me go...huh? I don't know if there are hidden agendas or hatred or egos but that poll usually seems the furthest off
0 permalink
4/18/2011 9:11:38 AM

prongATO
prongATO
I tend to agree with Florida Beaver. NCBWP is all over the place. I'm curious to see what shenanigans they're up to this week when the poll comes out..
edited by prongATO on 4/18/2011
0 permalink
4/18/2011 10:22:38 AM

Daweez04
Daweez04
CBN Poll is all over the place. It is the only poll I have seen on a weekly basis where a team wins their series, and manages to drop in the rankings.
0 permalink
4/18/2011 10:32:20 AM

Wahoo301
Wahoo301
Just to be clear, Baseball America and Perfect Game publish RANKINGS. These are not polls. Polls are a bunch of individual rankings compiled and averaged. The BA and PG staff get together and come up with rankings instead of doing a poll.
0 permalink
4/18/2011 12:34:51 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I'm not sure what to think about the polls/rankings. However, just looking at Oregon State's placement this week, they rank from 3rd to 9th in various polls.

Baseball America – OSU 3rd
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/top-25/2011/2611598.html

Perfect game – OSU 9th

Collegiate Baseball – OSU 7th
http://www.baseballnews.com/polls/divI/currentpolldivI.htm

National Collegiate Sportswriters – OSU ? – Not yet posted
http://www.sportswriters.net/ncbwa/poll/

USA Today/ESPN - OSU 8th
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/baseball/usatpoll.htm
0 permalink
4/18/2011 2:41:30 PM

Daweez04
Daweez04
Florida Beaver wrote:
National Collegiate Baseball Writer's poll (which is also the poll used to post D1 Baseballs scores). It seems too indisciminate and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what their standings are based on. They use 40 writers and other "media related" voters, which I guess could be the cameraman taping the game. It, as far as I can tell, uses the "who is my favorite or least favorite team" standard for the voters to use.

I like the Baseball America poll, and Perfect Game's poll, although Kendall seems to use the "team I like" factor in making some of his rankings. However, in his defense, once that team commences to really blow, he does drop them pretty swiftly

Right on queue they have the Beavs at #15 this week.
0 permalink
4/18/2011 5:30:50 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
In any given week, I generally will just disregard any polls posting an outliers for my team. In this case, Baseball America and NCBWP. Normally though, I trust NCBWP the least anyways.
0 permalink
4/18/2011 6:42:57 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Throwing my voice in with all the other Beaver fans here. I used to track all the rankings and use some averages to determine which one or two were the most clueless and which were pretty spot on. Haven't done that this year, but Kendall's always made a lot of sense and seemed the most accurate IMO. I found the USA Today to be the farthest removed from reality and seemingly more popularity and "name brand" based.

That said, I am surprised how lame the NCBW poll has been this year. Yes, like other Beaver fans, I am using Oregon State as my yardstick (I think most fans do the same), but how can these "baseball writers" put OSU where they have? Just to pick a few examples, they have OSU at #15 and ASU at #6. But OSU has a better record (27-7 vs. 25-9), we swept ASU three games to none, and our ISR is better (7 vs. 9). The only thing the Devils have is a higher Rat's Patootie Index (10 vs. 4). If every other measurement says OSU is better, including head-to-head performance (hard to disregard), why does a six-slot difference in RPI warrant a nine-slot difference in ranking?

And if RPI is that all-important criterion the writers are using to insert ASU so much higher than the Beavers, why then do they also rank these other teams above OSU?

#4 Texas (=W, +2L, -9 ISR, -10 RPI)
#7 TCU (-2W, +4L, -20 ISR, -27 RPI)
#9 Texas A&M (-1W, +3L, -6 ISR, -3 RPI)
#11 Oklahoma (-1W, +3L, -15 ISR, -15 RPI)
#12 Arkansas (-1W, +2L, -8 ISR, -1 RPI)

Aaron Fitt (Baseball America) and Kendall (Perfect Game) do the best job IMO.
NCBWA poll is by far the least reliable and probably least thought out.
edited by Dodger Matt on 4/18/2011
0 permalink
4/18/2011 10:43:17 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Wow DM. Tell us how you really feel.
0 permalink
4/18/2011 11:30:48 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
not sure on the numbers since I am stealing it from a beaverblitz post that i only glanced at, but I believe only 17 voters are west of Texas, while 25 votes alone come from that state. I also have to wonder how many even check the box score before voting.
0 permalink
4/19/2011 12:19:41 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
SB, that would make sense given the teams on that list are all from the old Southwestern Conference area.
0 permalink
4/19/2011 6:27:27 AM

fsugeo
fsugeo
Wahoo301 wrote:
Just to be clear, Baseball America and Perfect Game publish RANKINGS. These are not polls. Polls are a bunch of individual rankings compiled and averaged. The BA and PG staff get together and come up with rankings instead of doing a poll.
I am pretty sure Collegiate Baseball is the same way.

The only two "polls" are the Coaches Poll and the NCBWA.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » What poll do you put the least amount of stock in?