Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » FRIDAY'S 27 TAKES: S.C.'s Roth sets tone (4/15)

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/16/2011 12:55:36 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Here's our inside look back at Friday's college baseball action.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=5490

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
4/16/2011 8:34:43 AM

weg313
weg313
K, I know you haven't seen the Owls since the second week of the season, but they are playing the same caliber ball they have played since early-to-mid March. The pitching has been on par with anyone in the country, but the big issue has been an anemic offense caused in large part by the injuries to Fuda (who still hasn't found his swing since returning from a one-month absence due to a tweaked hammy), Rendon (his shoulder injury has not only taken away his power, but because he has been relegated to DH, it takes Craig Manuel-- our #2 best hitter at the moment-- out of the lineup when he's not catching) and, of course, Rathjen (who's power and speed provided legitimate protection for Rendon in the lineup). If Fuda and Ratterree can ever regain the offensive form they've shown in past years, this Rice team should take off down the home stretch. The pitching has been nothing short of sensational-- the best top-to-bottom (but with considerably more depth) since the 2003 - '04 days of the Big 3....and most of these guys will be back in 2012 (along with Connor Mason, McDowell and Fazio). We will continue to ride Kubitza, Reckling, Gonzales, Cingrani, Simms, Duffey, Wall, Spurlin and Fant through the post-season.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
4/16/2011 8:51:53 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
weg313 wrote:
K, I know you haven't seen the Owls since the second week of the season, but they are playing the same caliber ball they have played since early-to-mid March. The pitching has been on par with anyone in the country, but the big issue has been an anemic offense caused in large part by the injuries to Fuda (who still hasn't found his swing since returning from a one-month absence due to a tweaked hammy), Rendon (his shoulder injury has not only taken away his power, but because he has been relegated to DH, it takes Craig Manuel-- our #2 best hitter at the moment-- out of the lineup when he's not catching) and, of course, Rathjen (who's power and speed provided legitimate protection for Rendon in the lineup). If Fuda and Ratterree can ever regain the offensive form they've shown in past years, this Rice team should take off down the home stretch. The pitching has been nothing short of sensational-- the best top-to-bottom (but with considerably more depth) since the 2003 - '04 days of the Big 3....and most of these guys will be back in 2012 (along with Connor Mason, McDowell and Fazio). We will continue to ride Kubitza, Reckling, Gonzales, Cingrani, Simms, Duffey, Wall, Spurlin and Fant through the post-season.

Good stuff, Walt. I talked to someone that was at the game the other night against A&M. Said Simms looked great (I thought he looked solid earlier this year), and also said that Ratterree's play in the ninth was quote "unbelievable". Rice certainly has the potential, just a matter of putting it together. The good thing is you have a game last night where Rendon doesn't do much and you still win against a solid team.

--
0 permalink
4/16/2011 9:04:17 AM

weg313
weg313
K, as great as Rendon is, he hasn't done much all year. He's batting under .250 with runners in scoring position for the year. Clearly, his shoulder soreness and inability to play the field (which keeps his mind in the game) as affected his hitting. Having said that, it's Fuda and Rat who have really failed to meet expectations, and they need to find a way to get back their old form.

--
0 permalink
4/16/2011 10:07:43 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
weg313 wrote:
K, as great as Rendon is, he hasn't done much all year. He's batting under .250 with runners in scoring position for the year. Clearly, his shoulder soreness and inability to play the field (which keeps his mind in the game) as affected his hitting. Having said that, it's Fuda and Rat who have really failed to meet expectations, and they need to find a way to get back their old form.

Walt ..... If I'm OG, and Rendon isn't really a huge factor right now, I'd almost entertain the idea of sitting him for a few weeks and get him healthy for the postseason run. What say Owls fans?

--
0 permalink
4/16/2011 10:20:10 AM

weg313
weg313
Kendall wrote:
weg313 wrote:

Walt ..... If I'm OG, and Rendon isn't really a huge factor right now, I'd almost entertain the idea of sitting him for a few weeks and get him healthy for the postseason run. What say Owls fans?

No chance, K. The offense is simply too anemic at the moment to even entertain that thought. For all his struggles this season (vs. his career norm, which sets the bar pretty darn high), Rendon can be counted upon to get on base a couple times a game...and the Owls offense desperately need any baserunners they can get.

--
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » FRIDAY'S 27 TAKES: S.C.'s Roth sets tone (4/15)