Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Dirty Ducks?

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
2/22/2011 1:16:44 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I know some Oregon fans are going to flame this post but hear me out.

I have a lot of respect for Horton with everything he has done especially at Fullerton but some questionable coaching and player calls this weekend during the 4 game series.

I counted 4 times where an Oregon batter leaned into a pitch, started running to first, and got called back to home. Horton came out and argued the first time but didn't seem to care the last couple of times.

Oregon scheduled a red-eye flight tonight and had a game curfew imposed at 9:30pm (for a 6:35pm game)...bottom of the 7th, Ducks held a 4-2 and a 4-3 lead and they were visiting the mound every batter it seemed and the pitcher was stepping off the rubber and taking time every other pitch. They didn't stall long enough as they were still able (barely) to start the 8th before the curfew. I understand gamesmanship and sportsmanship are 2 different things but surely I can't be the only one who finds this to be a little dirty?
0 permalink
2/22/2011 7:27:52 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Yeah- I am a hard core duck fan, and at times shake my head at some of the decisions made by Horton and company. The fishbowl that this team has found itself in has created alot of people who want this team to fail. This year is going to be much tougher to do the things we did last year, because we are now expected to win. Part of his philosophy seems that if you expect to win, you will. Look at Oregon State. I feel that we actually have more pressure than OSU. They have to pretty much have to be in the top of the pac, and make it to a super, or the team had a bad year and the coach made bad decisions. The amount of freshman playing, lack of a true catcher with experience, and some key pitchers leaving- I think Horton was pulling out the stops within the gray area. You were there and I was not, but just going by my gut feeling was getting out of that house. Hawaii always plays us tough, and they are a good team. Heck- they made their regional final last year, so I expected a battle. Things should start to smooth out once they play a few more games. I really enjoy your posts, and understanding of the game- just glad this season is underway, and I have really enjoyed all the successes of the teams in our division. Going to be a fun few months.- Oh the travel thing does trouble me too. Why did they not schedule the game earlier?
0 permalink
2/22/2011 3:37:39 PM

trripleplay
trripleplay
It's part of the game

--
http://www.simmonsfield.com
0 permalink
2/22/2011 4:30:02 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Thank you Riverduck, you sir are a classy fan...Oregon has promise this year but they need to play alot better than they played in hawaii. They split the series and failed to capitalize on Hawaii's 10 errors, poor baserunning, and shallow pitching.
0 permalink
2/22/2011 10:12:46 PM

HuskerFan31
HuskerFan31
OpihiMan wrote:
Oregon scheduled a red-eye flight tonight and had a game curfew imposed at 9:30pm (for a 6:35pm game)...

I've never understood why games aren't scheduled an hour or two earlier than normal when curfews are in effect.
0 permalink
2/23/2011 12:52:56 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
No clue, they knew way in advance when the flight was...it was a holiday so it wasn't as if they had to start at 6:35 to accommodate people getting off work. Even if they scheduled the game at 6:05 that would have given 3 and half hours to at least start the 9th inning.
0 permalink
2/23/2011 9:22:39 AM

HuskerFan31
HuskerFan31
OpihiMan wrote:
No clue, they knew way in advance when the flight was...it was a holiday so it wasn't as if they had to start at 6:35 to accommodate people getting off work. Even if they scheduled the game at 6:05 that would have given 3 and half hours to at least start the 9th inning.

It happens in the Big12 all the time. It seems so simple to just move the game back an hour or so.
0 permalink
2/23/2011 12:55:31 PM

MNDucks
MNDucks
why is the time of the game being scheduled blamed on Oregon? would that not be the responsibility of the home team - Hawaii in this case?
the series was originally scheduled for a game on Friday, DH on Saturday and a game on Sunday. I believe it was HI who made the decision to change that.
0 permalink
2/23/2011 2:17:43 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I don't think anyone blamed Oregon for the game time, I was just pointing out their game tactics. The conversation has been a general "Why do they schedule the games like that" it was mutually agreed on by both teams, both are to blame.

Hawaii's schedule has always had this as a 4-day 4-game series...there wasn't a DH or change on this end.
0 permalink
2/23/2011 8:04:29 PM

MNDucks
MNDucks
understood - but I wouldn't doubt if TX or ASU were in the same spot - or Hawaii for that matter - they would also employ similar tactics.
also - i was at all 4 games - and the Sat night and Monday night games in particular - I have never experienced such poor sportsmanship from the HI fans as the i saw over at the 3rd baseline seats - guys swearing, flipping off OR players and fans in the area and being totally out of control. And the security looked like they were students that were scared of doing anything to stop it. Not a very good impression to leave with.
0 permalink
2/23/2011 9:01:44 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I actually sit on the 3rd baseline seats every game...night games are typically more rowdy than day games. I guess when there is a keg less than 10 steps from their seats people lose control. Monday didn't seem too bad...they were mostly yelling (positive cheering) at the bat boy (who was from Hawaii).

Also realize that because of the TV contract here in Hawaii they have been really pushing the Oregon and Texas series because of each teams rankings...fair weather (and less respectful) fans typically show up for these contests. It is unfortunate but don't confuse the rowdy drunkards with the majority of the Hawaii fans who enjoy rooting for our team and not against the other.

I can't speak for other teams on stall tactics and leaning into balls but I can tell you that Coach Trap is a class act and plays the games fair, he runs his team with a high level of discipline and is respected out here for doing so.
edited by OpihiMan on 2/23/2011
0 permalink
2/23/2011 9:57:29 PM

MNDucks
MNDucks
they were cheering for the bat boy...and also yelling at Horton to suck in his gut. and for our # 12 to give up baseball. i understand there are always a loud minority that can spoil things for all. I'm sure some OR fans have not been the on their best behavior at times either.
if you stayed anytime after the game on Monday night you'll know what I'm talking about.
anyway - back to baseball, all 4 games were good, exciting contests and I'm just glad OR was able to salvage a split. HI is a team that never gave up and never stopped playing hard - they were all great games to watch. i don't doubt the HI coach is highly regarded for doing it right.
0 permalink
2/23/2011 11:37:27 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Both teams did play hard till the end...sloppy baseball though, didn't you think?
0 permalink
2/24/2011 5:20:43 PM

MNDucks
MNDucks
yes - it was a little sloppy at times - but there were also some good defensive plays made by both teams as well. You could tell it was the first series of the year.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Dirty Ducks?