Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » PREVIEW: Breaking down the weekend (4/15)

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/15/2011 12:14:58 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Here's our in-depth weekend preview. Enjoy!

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=5485

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
+1 permalink
4/15/2011 10:46:16 AM

eagleboy415
eagleboy415
I have a question Kendall. This doesn't exactly pertain to the weekend in a sense, but reading the article made me think of it. How come when C-USA teams beat up on each other, it's not good, but when SEC teams beat up on each other, it's because they're "so equally strong."
0 permalink
4/15/2011 10:53:28 AM

weg313
weg313
eagleboy415 wrote:
I have a question Kendall. This doesn't exactly pertain to the weekend in a sense, but reading the article made me think of it. How come when C-USA teams beat up on each other, it's not good, but when SEC teams beat up on each other, it's because they're "so equally strong."

In the past, Kendall has been quite objective and consistent in his analyses. This year, for whatever reason, he's all over the map. He raves up one team because of it's resume (RPI, record against the Top 25/50/100), but ignores the awful resume of others (e.g., UCLA, LSU). He talks about C-USA as being vastly improved with a bunch of good, but not elite teams, but he refuses to say the same about the SEC West. He also convenient ignores the fact that C-USA is within earshot of overtaking the Big 12 for the #3 spot in conference RPI.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
4/15/2011 2:14:49 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
eagleboy415 wrote:

Despite how successful Conference USA has been this season, there's no question the committee will give the SEC, Pac-10 and Big 12 as tougher no matter how much you and I like it. Therefore, where as SEC teams can beat the tar out of each other and still make an NCAA postseason, that's not going to be the case with Conference USA teams. It's a sad reality, but unfortunately it will be true (just watch at the end of the year).

--
0 permalink
4/15/2011 2:19:32 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
weg313 wrote:
eagleboy415 wrote:

In the past, Kendall has been quite objective and consistent in his analyses. This year, for whatever reason, he's all over the map. He raves up one team because of it's resume (RPI, record against the Top 25/50/100), but ignores the awful resume of others (e.g., UCLA, LSU). He talks about C-USA as being vastly improved with a bunch of good, but not elite teams, but he refuses to say the same about the SEC West. He also convenient ignores the fact that C-USA is within earshot of overtaking the Big 12 for the #3 spot in conference RPI.

Walt,
As someone I'd consider a friend, you're coming to a knife fight with some nail trimmers. When have I EVER said that the SEC West had a single elite team? There's no question that division is loaded with a bunch of average teams, and I've never suggested otherwise. Now, the three big boys in the SEC East are on a different wavelength than the entire Conference USA. And for the 10,000th time, the projections are done AS OF TODAY. There's not a chance in you know what the second place Pac-10 team, at 7-2 in league play, is not going to make the NCAA postseason. Surely you don't really think the NCAA would snub that team, do you?

And you talk about LSU's awful resume. You mean the team that is 11-10 vs. RPI top 100, while Central Florida is 8-9, East Carolina is 10-11 and Tulane is 8-12? I guess that's the same team ... the only reason I think LSU is in deep trouble is I just think there comes a point where you can't put a team in the postseason at 7 or 8 games below .500 in conference play.

--
0 permalink
4/15/2011 2:47:48 PM

weg313
weg313
K, with all due respect, take away LSU's early home sweep of CSF (and we all know the difficulty playing after a lengthy, intercontinental travel), and their resume is a total joke. And let's not forget that LSU doesn't play away from home and it's 9000+ adoring fans at the Box until they are forced to in conference play. To answer your question-- yes, I think LSU, Tulane, UCF, ECU and Ole Miss are all essentially the same team with the same resume. And, yes, I'm being serious.

--
In Wayne Graham we trust.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » PREVIEW: Breaking down the weekend (4/15)