Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » PG64: NCAA Postseason Projections (4/14) -HAVE Qs?

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/15/2011 9:22:23 PM

FLFinest
FLFinest
rwnatc wrote:
Kendall wrote:
rwnatc wrote:
What's your justification for giving ucla a number 3 seed with a bad record and NUMBER 75 RPI? But you will leave out ETSU who is number 20 in the RPI?

You are out of your mind.

Very easy justification on that one. First of all, ETSU has an incredibly inflated RPI right now. Give it credit for scheduling in smart fashion, but I highly doubt it's close to being one of the Top 21 teams in America right now. Second, you think I'm "crazy", but let's compare some notes. ETSU has a 2-4 record vs. RPI Top 50, UCLA has a 2-3 record vs. RPI Top 50. ETSU has 7 wins vs. RPI Top 100 teams, UCLA has 8 wins vs. RPI Top 100 teams. But here's where the kicker comes in. ETSU is 1 1/2 games behind Stetson in the A-Sun title race at 11-5 in conference. UCLA, meanwhile, is SECOND in the Pac-10, one of the top power conferences with a 7-2 record. Sorry to say, but I'd be absolutely shocked if the second place Pac-10 team didn't get into the Field of 64 (as of today) over the second place A-Sun club. On top of that, the NCAA would love to showcase the two premier arms for UCLA in the postseason, and yes, as stupid as it is, that IS a factor when teams are on the board for the postseason (no matter how much the committee might say things like that matter). Perception is reality.

And what about Jacksonville?

48 rpi. 2-2vs top 50. 10-4vs top 100. so their resume is better than both of those teams.
0 permalink
4/15/2011 9:25:43 PM

FLFinest
FLFinest
I was curious why you didn't answer RWNATC's point on Jacksonville having better credentials than both UCLA and ETSU based on records vs Top 100 or 50. According to you - these polls and RPI ratings truly mean nothing. In the end it will only comedown to match-ups. Unfair!! These kids only have the seasons they play this year - next year may not play out the same. JU as of now deserves in!!
0 permalink
4/15/2011 10:04:36 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
jdh008 wrote:
Obviously I understand you not having them in at this point, but just how many wins do the UH Cougars need to get in? Their computer numbers will help them, but right now it's all about piling up wins for them. Boyd's needs report has the Cougars only needing to be a couple games over .500 to be in the top 32 in the RPI, but that likely won't be enough to get in. Do they need 33 wins? 34? 35 even?

Houston just needs to continue winning. The big strikes against the Cougars right now is the fact it is 5-12 vs. RPI Top 50 and 13-16 vs. RPI Top 100. That's not very good. Cougars do have a pretty respectable conference record, though. Going to be a very nervous finish to the season for Whitting's boys.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
4/15/2011 10:06:29 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
MoreCowbell23 wrote:
Kendall, I see that you have Mississippi State as the 2 seed matched up with the #1 national seed. Does that mean you consider them the weakest 2 seed? And if so, why? I see that you have Auburn and Ole Miss going to Regionals where the host isn't a Top 8 seed. MSU swept Auburn and clearly has a better resume than Ole Miss. I would think that they would be ranked higher than those two teams.
edited by MoreCowbell23 on 4/15/2011

None of the NCAA Field of 64, from me or the committee, is ranked outside of the top eight national seeds. The committee does try to balance things out from an RPI standpoint when it comes to the No. 2 and 3 seeds, but it's not a certainty. So, it's about finding intriguing matchups with the right RPIs. That's where State fits in with UVa.

--
0 permalink
4/15/2011 10:14:16 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
dolphin4life wrote:
rwnatc wrote:
Kendall wrote:
rwnatc wrote:
What's your justification for giving ucla a number 3 seed with a bad record and NUMBER 75 RPI? But you will leave out ETSU who is number 20 in the RPI?

You are out of your mind.

Very easy justification on that one. First of all, ETSU has an incredibly inflated RPI right now. Give it credit for scheduling in smart fashion, but I highly doubt it's close to being one of the Top 21 teams in America right now. Second, you think I'm "crazy", but let's compare some notes. ETSU has a 2-4 record vs. RPI Top 50, UCLA has a 2-3 record vs. RPI Top 50. ETSU has 7 wins vs. RPI Top 100 teams, UCLA has 8 wins vs. RPI Top 100 teams. But here's where the kicker comes in. ETSU is 1 1/2 games behind Stetson in the A-Sun title race at 11-5 in conference. UCLA, meanwhile, is SECOND in the Pac-10, one of the top power conferences with a 7-2 record. Sorry to say, but I'd be absolutely shocked if the second place Pac-10 team didn't get into the Field of 64 (as of today) over the second place A-Sun club. On top of that, the NCAA would love to showcase the two premier arms for UCLA in the postseason, and yes, as stupid as it is, that IS a factor when teams are on the board for the postseason (no matter how much the committee might say things like that matter). Perception is reality.

And what about Jacksonville?

48 rpi. 2-2vs top 50. 10-4vs top 100. so their resume is better than both of those teams.

Sorry for not answering your question earlier. I didn't see it until now. Don't disagree that Jax has a better resume than perhaps a team like UCLA, but again, the 7-2 (at the time of the projections) team in the Pac-10 is getting into the postseason over the third-place team in the Atlantic Sun, resume or not. After today's games, btw, Jacksonville is 12-7 vs. RPI Top 50. Not bad at all.

--
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » PG64: NCAA Postseason Projections (4/14) -HAVE Qs?