Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Lets have some fun! Kendall and whoever else.

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 3 4 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/14/2011 11:33:40 AM

Medic_Eagle
Medic_Eagle
Posts: 5
Alright lets analyze this 14-11 record with the conference records of the teams beaten.
UAB is 6-3 in C-USA: lost to Auburn (5-7) split with Alabama (7-5) and beat Miss St (5-7)
Houston 4-2 in C-USA: beat Kentucky who is a dismal 2-10 in the SEC, Marshall also beat Kentucky
Memphis (3-3): Lost to Auburn (5-7), lost twice to Arkansas (6-6) beat Ole Miss (5-7)
Rice (6-3): Beat Kentucky (2-10)
Southern Miss (6-3): Beat Bama (7-5), beat Ole Miss twice (5-7), lost to Miss St (5-7),
Tulane (3-6): Took 2 of 3 from Ole Miss (5-7) but lost to LSU (3-9)
UCF, Now this is the one team that stands out for C-USA, (3-6): beat Bama (7-5) and UF (9-3)

So summing this all up, C-USA has 4 wins over teams that are .500 or better in the SEC and only two of those were by a team that had a lower or equal conference winning percentage (UCF). By contrast, the SEC has 6 wins against teams in the C-USA that have conference winning percentages of .500 or better. All of these 6 wins were by teams with lower or equal conference winning percentages than their losing counterparts. So congrats you have gotten some wins against the bottom half of our conference with the exception of one fluke win over UF and wins over Bama. But keep in mind that Bama was just swept by Vandy and will surely lose series to SC and UF. So i wouldnt go thinking you guys are world beaters yet.


14 > 11
edited by Medic_Eagle on 4/14/2011
0 permalink
4/14/2011 11:55:53 AM

SOSEAGLE
SOSEAGLE
Posts: 10
Florida plays UCF twice and no other CUSA teams and UCF is not even in the top 6 of CUSA. Neither South Carolina nor Vandy play any CUSA schools so we'll never know. Your cream of the crop doesn't play 1 single CUSA team of note. Alabama has lost to UAB, Southern Miss and UCF. So technically CUSA is 4-1 vs. top tier SEC schools. I know you SEC guys like to assume you would get a victory here or there but in college baseball, assuming usually gets you beat.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 12:07:09 PM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
Posts: 50
Alright lets analyze this 14-11 record with the conference records of the teams beaten.
UAB is 6-3 in C-USA: lost to Auburn (5-7) split with Alabama (7-5) and beat Miss St (5-7)
Houston 4-2 in C-USA: beat Kentucky who is a dismal 2-10 in the SEC, Marshall also beat Kentucky
Memphis (3-3): Lost to Auburn (5-7), lost twice to Arkansas (6-6) beat Ole Miss (5-7)
Rice (6-3): Beat Kentucky (2-10)
Southern Miss (6-3): Beat Bama (7-5), beat Ole Miss twice (5-7), lost to Miss St (5-7),
Tulane (3-6): Took 2 of 3 from Ole Miss (5-7) but lost to LSU (3-9)
UCF, Now this is the one team that stands out for C-USA, (3-6): beat Bama (7-5) and UF (9-3)

So summing this all up, C-USA has 4 wins over teams that are .500 or better in the SEC and only two of those were by a team that had a lower or equal conference winning percentage (UCF). By contrast, the SEC has 6 wins against teams in the C-USA that have conference winning percentages of .500 or better. All of these 6 wins were by teams with lower or equal conference winning percentages than their losing counterparts. So congrats you have gotten some wins against the bottom half of our conference with the exception of one fluke win over UF and wins over Bama. But keep in mind that Bama was just swept by Vandy and will surely lose series to SC and UF. So i wouldnt go thinking you guys are world beaters yet.




I see what you did there, you tried to manipulate the numbers in your favor. Facts are that C-USA has been the better conference head-to-head so far this season. We can all speculate as to how teams from both conferences would fare against each other. However, in sports, there are no hypotheticals and assumptions of who would win a series is laughable especially comparing the top teams from each conference.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 12:26:18 PM

shoelessT
shoelessT
Posts: 118
SOSEAGLE wrote:
It's hard to have a "legit" conversation when nothing you're saying is "legit".



Another great post! Man for saying nothing I have said is "legit" it seem that you would have said something meaningful in all 4 of your posts! But nope. You have brought nothing to the table. Southern Miss is a good team. We know that. But beat a couple average SEC teams during midweek games and losing your best series of the year vs Troy and then losing a series to Memphis just isnt that awesome. No matter how you spin it. Just continue saying that people who disagree with you "lose all credibility." That will show them! I guess going to the College World Series once ever makes everyone else stupid who doesnt think you are the greatest team ever.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 1:46:22 PM

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Posts: 43
To the poster who used current conf. records to do an analysis: That method makes little sense. It will make more sense at the end of the year. I've already said I don't think Rice, Southern Miss, ECU, etc...would win a weekend series against Vandy, S. Carolina or UF. But neither would most teams in the country. That doesn't make us or C-USA overrated. We aren't claiming to be world beaters, we leave that to you SEC guys. That stat is merely a fact entered as evidence that thus far this season we have held our own against SEC opponents. And gues what, we used our mid-week guys too.

Also, didn't S. Carolina lose a series to Kentucky last year, not exactly the type of loss you would expect from a national champ. caliber team, but it didn't hold them back from taking the title last year.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 2:03:26 PM

SOSEAGLE
SOSEAGLE
Posts: 10
You obviously don't read very well. My very first post was backed by facts. RPI of 9, SOS of 12 and 3-1 vs. SEC. All of that is relevant to the discussion as they are FACTS. Your mid-major response showed your ignorance of college baseball as everyone knows that CUSA is a MAJOR baseball conference with an RPI of 5 out of 32 conferences. At that point I realized that you are unable to have a meaningful conversation because you know nothing about the subject. Everyone has bad losses, it's baseball.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 2:10:49 PM

Tommy Salami
Tommy Salami
Posts: 35
I didnt manipulate anything just pointed out facts. You only have 4 wins vs the top 6 teams in the SEC with 1 being a fluke over UF and the other 3 against Bama who was just swept by Vandy and I guarantee will lose series to SC, UF and probably UGA. The rest of the C-USA wins were the top half of your conference vs the bottom half of the SEC. Thats just a fact. You cant just say "Oh we are better 14-11" without going into depth about how that 14-11 came to fruition. Anyway this is all a moot point as this will all be settled in the post season when the SEC gets 2 or 3 teams to Omaha and likely one or two more to supers and we will see how well C-USA does in the post season.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 2:55:56 PM

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Posts: 43
But claiming a Top 6 in the conference at this point is also moot. Besides, it usually the SEC fans who claim their teams are so much better than everyone else's and how their bottom teams could win most other conferences. That's obviously not so.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 3:00:20 PM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
Posts: 50
Tommy Salami wrote:
I didnt manipulate anything just pointed out facts. You only have 4 wins vs the top 6 teams in the SEC with 1 being a fluke over UF and the other 3 against Bama who was just swept by Vandy and I guarantee will lose series to SC, UF and probably UGA. The rest of the C-USA wins were the top half of your conference vs the bottom half of the SEC. Thats just a fact. You cant just say "Oh we are better 14-11" without going into depth about how that 14-11 came to fruition. Anyway this is all a moot point as this will all be settled in the post season when the SEC gets 2 or 3 teams to Omaha and likely one or two more to supers and we will see how well C-USA does in the post season.




Actually, I can say we are better in the head-to-head match ups that have been played because of the record of 14-11. You have no justification for any point except that you are trying to justify the dominance of the SEC by comparing them only to the SEC. Also, you are still using hypotheticals and guarantees that have no factual basis because the games and situations have yet to happen. Anyways, carry on.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 3:16:35 PM

Tommy Salami
Tommy Salami
Posts: 35
My point is you cant say that one conference is better than another because the teams in the top half of your conference have beaten the teams in the bottom half of another conference. I never said the teams in the bottom half of the SEC would win other conferences. I am stating my opinion that I believe that SC, UF, and Vandy are better than any of the teams in the C-USA which therefore makes the SEC stronger as a conference because of their elite teams. That is my opinion and if you disagree then you are entitled to your opinion as well. You are correct that the elite SEC teams have not played against C-USA but it is my opinion that those 3 teams would take a weekend series against anyone in the C-USA. As I said, this will all be settled in the post season which is the really the true marker of how strong each conference is as they compete against tournament teams from other conferences.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 3:29:21 PM

Tommy Salami
Tommy Salami
Posts: 35
Also, midweek games are not exactly the best measure of conferences head to head. This is the exact reason why the SC-Clemson rivalry was changed to a 3 game weekend series which I love. If the SEC had favorable records vs the ACC or the PAC-10 in midweek games I would not use that as concrete evidence that the SEC is better than those conferences. The fact is you are going to save your best pitching for the weekend series which does make a difference.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 3:33:53 PM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
Posts: 50
Southern Miss would love to play weekend series against SEC foes but they won't travel and we don't have to because our attendance is on par with some of the best in the nation. Why travel and spend money as opposed to staying home and making money.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 8:32:06 PM

shoelessT
shoelessT
Posts: 118
SOSEAGLE wrote:
You obviously don't read very well. My very first post was backed by facts. RPI of 9, SOS of 12 and 3-1 vs. SEC. All of that is relevant to the discussion as they are FACTS. Your mid-major response showed your ignorance of college baseball as everyone knows that CUSA is a MAJOR baseball conference with an RPI of 5 out of 32 conferences. At that point I realized that you are unable to have a meaningful conversation because you know nothing about the subject. Everyone has bad losses, it's baseball.



Learn to have a real conversation without resorting to "you know nothing about the subject." I guarantee you I know just as much about college baseball as you do. Its like I am talking to a 7 year old. Come on man. And just so you know, the RPI is not the end all to every discussion. I understand Southern Miss or Troy or whoever has a good RPI. Another reason why I think they are overrated. If they had an RPI of 100 then I would not consider them overrated because...well...that would not be the definition of overrated. Doesn't like East Tennessee St have a top 20 RPI? I would consider that to be overrated. The definition of being overrated would be probably something like being rated over what you should be rated. Probably not exact words but I am allowed to state who I think is overrated. I just did not realize how many Southern Miss fans there were on this board!!!!! Again, have a real conversation without trying to come back with "oh you know nothing about college baseball." Again, I promise you I know about college baseball.
0 permalink
4/15/2011 8:01:46 AM

SOSEAGLE
SOSEAGLE
Posts: 10
You keep bringing up the Troy series as your reason for USM being overrated. Troy is a solid, well-rounded team that is ranked in the Top 25 in most publications ,but I guess they're overrated too because they don't play in a premier conference, correct? I think I have it figured out now. You're a Miami fan that went to ECU (WTF?) so you obviously hate FSU and USM is ECU's main rival in CUSA so that's where you get that dislike from. What a coincidence that your 2 overrated teams were FSU and USM. It makes sense now. Your argument is not based on facts, you're just picking 2 teams you don't like and throwing it out there. Learn to have a conversation based on facts and not personal feelings.
0 permalink
4/15/2011 10:28:24 AM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
Posts: 50
Tommy Salami wrote:
Also, midweek games are not exactly the best measure of conferences head to head. This is the exact reason why the SC-Clemson rivalry was changed to a 3 game weekend series which I love. If the SEC had favorable records vs the ACC or the PAC-10 in midweek games I would not use that as concrete evidence that the SEC is better than those conferences. The fact is you are going to save your best pitching for the weekend series which does make a difference.



Should we scrap midweek games since they aren't the best measure? Come tournament time most reams have to rely on their other (not weekend) starters to give quality innings or possibly start a game. If a team has weak midweek pitching then their odds of advancing thorough a tournament are slim if they don't sweep 3 straight games.
edited by It's The Talons on 4/15/2011
0 permalink
4/15/2011 10:46:29 AM

shoelessT
shoelessT
Posts: 118
SOSEAGLE wrote:
You keep bringing up the Troy series as your reason for USM being overrated. Troy is a solid, well-rounded team that is ranked in the Top 25 in most publications ,but I guess they're overrated too because they don't play in a premier conference, correct? I think I have it figured out now. You're a Miami fan that went to ECU (WTF?) so you obviously hate FSU and USM is ECU's main rival in CUSA so that's where you get that dislike from. What a coincidence that your 2 overrated teams were FSU and USM. It makes sense now. Your argument is not based on facts, you're just picking 2 teams you don't like and throwing it out there. Learn to have a conversation based on facts and not personal feelings.


Correct I do hate FSU. But I do not hate Southern Miss at all. I actually loved watching them beat UF, as I said before. And I really like a few of their players. I do not hate them one bit. It was a overrated question and I answered it and now I hate them. I also said I thought Miami sucked...I guess I hate them. And yes I am from Miami, grew up going to games, hardly ever missed a game as a kid, went to ECU on a athletic scholarship. I guess that did deserve a "WTF." Seriously you act like a child on here. I keep bringing up the Troy series because that was their biggest series of the year and they lost. What facts are you talking about? I guess it looks cool when you say "hey give us facts!" I am still trying to seet he facts that you are giving besides an RPI ranking (which East Tennessee St also has! and over Troy for that matter). I gave facts. It is a FACT that Southern Miss lost their biggest weekend series. It is a FACT that they just lost to an average Memphis team...no matter how much you pretend Memphis is great. Those are facts. Like I said I do not hate Southern Miss one bit. I actually was rooting for them until I got attacked on this board. FSU...well yes I do hate them. Funny that people just say "oh you hate them so you think they are overrated" but they don't mention that I did say my team sucks. Haha nice work. I will be waiting for your "you don't give facts and you don't know anything about college baseball" post from you. Thanks.
0 permalink
4/15/2011 11:43:00 AM

SOSEAGLE
SOSEAGLE
Posts: 10
Guess I'll continue my child-like antics. Why is Troy our best series? We took 2 of 3 from a ranked Tulane team and swept a ranked UCF club. Why aren't they our best series? Is it because they aren't ranked at this point? What if they finish ranked in a few weeks, will it count then? We also beat ranked C of C and UConn at the time we played them, do they not count either? It seems that your reasoning is based on 1 single series. I guess North Carolina losing a series to Wake makes them overrated too. You are entitled to your opinion and I respect them, but some of your comments are ill-advised.
0 permalink
4/15/2011 12:11:56 PM

shoelessT
shoelessT
Posts: 118
SOSEAGLE wrote:
Guess I'll continue my child-like antics. Why is Troy our best series? We took 2 of 3 from a ranked Tulane team and swept a ranked UCF club. Why aren't they our best series? Is it because they aren't ranked at this point? What if they finish ranked in a few weeks, will it count then? We also beat ranked C of C and UConn at the time we played them, do they not count either? It seems that your reasoning is based on 1 single series. I guess North Carolina losing a series to Wake makes them overrated too. You are entitled to your opinion and I respect them, but some of your comments are ill-advised.


Ok series wins vs Tulane and UCF. Alright, you deserve to be top 5. My bad. UNC did lose to Wake, as I have already acknowledged. But they also won AT FSU and swept Clemson. Yes Wake was a bad loss. I said that. Still not sure why UNC is coming up in the conversation when we are talking about Southern Miss.

You don't think Troy is your best series? Just wondering. Didn't Tulane just get swept by someone like Houston? (I honestly don't remember but I think that is correct.) You are still missing the point. I never said Southern Miss was not a good team. I can't keep explaining this. I guess I should not have answered the original question. I am done.

For what it is worth...I hope UCF can come to Tallahassee and beat up on FSU later on in the year.
0 permalink
4/15/2011 12:45:54 PM

SOSEAGLE
SOSEAGLE
Posts: 10
No, I don't think Troy is our best series and nobody said we should be top 5. UNC has a bad series loss as do we, bottom line. It's called a comparison. I'm not sure why you're getting so upset over a little discussion. You think your way and I'll think mine, no reason to pitch a fit.
0 permalink
4/15/2011 1:35:14 PM

6-4-3
6-4-3
Posts: 47
Tulane is over rated also.
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 4 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Lets have some fun! Kendall and whoever else.





Powered by AspNetForum 6.9.9.0 © 2006-2010 Jitbit Software