Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Lets have some fun! Kendall and whoever else.

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 3 4 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/14/2011 5:32:52 AM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
Tulane took 2/3 from Ole Miss.

Also, if I am not mistaken midweek games count towards the overall record. I def think a C-USA team could take a series from one of those aforementioned teams.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 8:01:26 AM

Medic_Eagle
Medic_Eagle
Tommy Salami wrote:
Medic_Eagle wrote:
Tommy Salami wrote:
no team in C-USA could take a weekend series against SC, Vandy, or UF. IF you are trying to say the C-USA is better than the SEC thats pretty silly.

I believe UCF has already beaten UF. UAB just beat Miss. State, making the record 14-11 conference vs conference. As for Vandy and USC-lite... Southern Miss will just have to play them in our 9th straight regional invite... or wait until Omaha. I welcome your response, but once again, please use facts.

Yea UCF beat UF in a midweek game against their midweek pitching. Do you really think they could take them in a weekend series? Come on lets be realistic. and USC-lite? Wow, I guess being the defending national champs still doesnt warrant any respect from you. Lets also add the 4th best winning percentage in the country since 2000 and the best winning percentage in that same time span in the SEC both overall and in SEC conference play. Now tack on 4 Omaha appearances, 8 Super regionals and a national title. Okay 9 straight, Im not impressed, "USC-lite" has a current streak of 13 straight regionals easily on their way to number 14. Are those good enough statistics for you?

Did UF use their midweek batters when they played against UCF... or maybe their midweek fielding? Maybe UF brought their midweek fans and that was the problem. 14-11 now conference v conference with C-USA leading and 5 games left between the two.

**my apologies to SC.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 8:16:46 AM

Eagle04
Eagle04
shoelessT wrote:
Ok you have good points with bad losses. I understand everyone has bad losses. But those teams you mentioned also have very good wins. UNC just won a series at FSU and they swept Clemson. Most of the games you speak of are midweek games and I do not think they would translate into winning a series. FSU is 3-1 vs UF but if they played a weekend series I would almost guarantee UF would take 2 of 3 and possibly sweep them. UCF taking 2 of 3 vs Georgia is really not all that impressive. I am still waiting on Georgia to see how good they are. Didn't Stetson sweep them? I know Stetson is good but come on.

Now for Troy...come on. Yes they are good and solid but as a Miami fan I am praying that we get sent to Troy as a 2 seed. Troy is...well...Troy. What I am saying is that Southern Miss does not have a great series win to justify a high ranking. Sweeping UCF is nice I guess. Like I said, I have nothing against Southern Miss. I wish them well. Loved watching them beat UF a couple years ago to get to Omaha. Loved it.

This mindset here, is why people become irritated with fans like yourself. The fact that you judge a team by the name on their uniform. I'm sure people did a lot of that in 2008. Fresno State is...well...Fresno State, right?
edited by Eagle04 on 4/14/2011
0 permalink
4/14/2011 8:24:37 AM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
As of last night, C-USA is 14-11 against the SEC.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 8:33:12 AM

shoelessT
shoelessT
Ok everyone settle down. It was a fun question asked by a poster about who we think is overrated and underrated. We are allowed to give an opinion. If we end up being wrong...well oh no! I answered who I thought was overrated and of course some sensitive fans got hurt. Its really just all fun so chill out!
0 permalink
4/14/2011 8:36:19 AM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
My feelings aren't hurt, I'm just posting facts.
edited by It's The Talons on 4/14/2011
0 permalink
4/14/2011 8:40:56 AM

fsugeo
fsugeo
shoelessT wrote:
As for FSU being overrated: I just do not think they have any pitching at all.
And yet they have managed to go 5-5 with the top 3 teams in the RPI.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 8:41:20 AM

shoelessT
shoelessT
The good old Fresno State card that every mid major fan has in their back pocket! That was an amazing run. Troy will not do that. Actually looking at their schedule just now I did not realize that it was that bad! If Clemson had that schedule they would top 5 right now. If UConn had that schedule they would be top 10 right now. Sorry but I am not impressed.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 8:43:47 AM

shoelessT
shoelessT
fsugeo wrote:
shoelessT wrote:

I know. They do it every year. I go to every game. It always comes back to haunt them. The pitching is significantly worse this year in my opinion. The line up though has potential but I hate Martin's approach to the plate and feel he always puts his hitters at a disadvantage in the postseason when facing elite arms. Just my opinion.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 8:48:18 AM

fsugeo
fsugeo
shoelessT wrote:
fsugeo wrote:
shoelessT wrote:

I know. They do it every year. I go to every game. It always comes back to haunt them. The pitching is significantly worse this year in my opinion. The line up though has potential but I hate Martin's approach to the plate and feel he always puts his hitters at a disadvantage in the postseason when facing elite arms. Just my opinion.
The pitching isn't great and there are plenty of question marks, but if last years team made it to Omaha with the worst staff I have seen in over 15 years, this year's team has a chance.

This very average pitching staff lost a 7th inning lead to UVA on Friday, blew a 9th inning lead on Saturday, and tried to give away the lead in the 8th and 9th innings on Sunday before winning in the 10th.

I am not sure FSU is overrated. If they did have a few extra arms in the bullpen they are a top 3-5 team. Without them they appear to be a top 10-12 team and certainly could advance to Omaha.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 8:52:15 AM

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Well, Southern Miss isn't a mid-major team so we aren't pulling any cards. Besides Rice has also won the National Championship and they are a member of C-USA.
I can't bellieve you brought up UCONN after saying we were overrated. Talking about an overrated, overhpyed team...
0 permalink
4/14/2011 9:03:34 AM

shoelessT
shoelessT
FSUGEO, good points. I just think with Parker and Gast last year and Mcgee being good that they were much better last year on the mound. I guess Gilmartin was terrible last year though too so that hurt. I definitely see your points and do think FSU can make it to Omaha, especially with the way FSU regionals usually ends up being. But yes, all good points. I also think that we finally are seeing guys like Sitz, Merians, Busch, get hit hard and I am not sure why it took so long. I always wondered how in the world Sitz was a saturday starter for such a big time program. But like I said, I think that lineup has potential and could hit themselves into Omaha.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 9:04:43 AM

shoelessT
shoelessT
EaglehasLanded wrote:
Well, Southern Miss isn't a mid-major team so we aren't pulling any cards. Besides Rice has also won the National Championship and they are a member of C-USA.
I can't bellieve you brought up UCONN after saying we were overrated. Talking about an overrated, overhpyed team...

The UConn thing was a joke. I was just stating that if UConn played Troy's crappy schedule they would look a whole lot better. I was joking. Although Troy's schedule is also a joke.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 9:34:34 AM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
Troy plays in the Sun Belt which according to WarrenNolan is the sixth rated RPI conference. If you compare Troy to UConn, Troy has a higher RPI, NPI and SOS.

Troy:
RPI - 24
NPI - 25
SOS - 99

UConn:
RPI - 100
NPI - 45
SOS - 138

Also, the BE is the 13th rated RPI conference according to Warren.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 9:47:44 AM

SOSEAGLE
SOSEAGLE
Mid-major? Is that for real? You just lost all credibility. Clearly you don't follow college baseball in any way, form or fashion. Dumbest post of the thread by far.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 9:51:47 AM

shoelessT
shoelessT
SOSEAGLE wrote:
Mid-major? Is that for real? You just lost all credibility. Clearly you don't follow college baseball in any way, form or fashion. Dumbest post of the thread by far.

Good one. Glad you can actually have a legit conversation about this.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 10:34:45 AM

SOSEAGLE
SOSEAGLE
It's hard to have a "legit" conversation when nothing you're saying is "legit".
0 permalink
4/14/2011 10:37:06 AM

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
We will probably just have to agree to disagree on this thread. On the upside, Kendall's new board has quite a Southern Miss following now.
0 permalink
4/14/2011 10:46:56 AM

Medic_Eagle
Medic_Eagle
EaglehasLanded wrote:
We will probably just have to agree to disagree on this thread. On the upside, Kendall's new board has quite a Southern Miss following now.

+1
0 permalink
4/14/2011 10:57:15 AM

Alright lets analyze this 14-11 record with the conference records of the teams beaten.
UAB is 6-3 in C-USA: lost to Auburn (5-7) split with Alabama (7-5) and beat Miss St (5-7)
Houston 4-2 in C-USA: beat Kentucky who is a dismal 2-10 in the SEC, Marshall also beat Kentucky
Memphis (3-3): Lost to Auburn (5-7), lost twice to Arkansas (6-6) beat Ole Miss (5-7)
Rice (6-3): Beat Kentucky (2-10)
Southern Miss (6-3): Beat Bama (7-5), beat Ole Miss twice (5-7), lost to Miss St (5-7),
Tulane (3-6): Took 2 of 3 from Ole Miss (5-7) but lost to LSU (3-9)
UCF, Now this is the one team that stands out for C-USA, (3-6): beat Bama (7-5) and UF (9-3)

So summing this all up, C-USA has 4 wins over teams that are .500 or better in the SEC and only two of those were by a team that had a lower or equal conference winning percentage (UCF). By contrast, the SEC has 6 wins against teams in the C-USA that have conference winning percentages of .500 or better. All of these 6 wins were by teams with lower or equal conference winning percentages than their losing counterparts. So congrats you have gotten some wins against the bottom half of our conference with the exception of one fluke win over UF and wins over Bama. But keep in mind that Bama was just swept by Vandy and will surely lose series to SC and UF. So i wouldnt go thinking you guys are world beaters yet.
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 4 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Lets have some fun! Kendall and whoever else.