Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Crazy Polls

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/11/2011 9:37:33 PM

1whoknows
1whoknows
How can 2 of the polls have Oregon State behind ASU after they are swept this past weekend? I'm just saying.
0 permalink
4/11/2011 10:41:50 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
1whoknows wrote:
How can 2 of the polls have Oregon State behind ASU after they are swept this past weekend? I'm just saying.

The biggest problem we face in college baseball is that you have a lot of pollsters/polls of people who A) don't do any research at all and B) don't follow the actual games. I'm FAR from flawless with rankings, but I can guarantee you I'll have a basis and in-depth reasoning as to why a team is where in the rankings. Even North Carolina in previous weeks (I'm looking at you, Travis! ).

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
4/12/2011 3:35:03 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
When I saw the USA/ESPN poll had moved Oregon State from 19 ALL the way to 15, but below a 22-10 TCU and 5 spots below ASU, I knew some ignorant polling was afoot. The Baseball Writers had Oregon State at a more respectable increase of 10 spots, but still below TCU and Stanford. I have to laugh at some of these knowledgeable pollsters. I was actually sort of surprised at how high the Beavs were ranked. I expected in the top 15, but top 10 in PG, BA and CB was an unexpected shot. OSU's upcoming series at Stanford will provide some answers, I think, to the Beav's depth. Replacing the missing Susac from the lineup with Berberet is good, but the bats took a drop with that one. Still, as I see it, the Beav's strength is still their defensive play. They make few mistakes over the long run. Their consistent play in the 3rd through 9th innings in limiting the amounts of runs allowed is huge, Props to the coaching staff in taking this team to where they are. A testiment to the players and coaches in the ability to play great ball where little to none was expected.
0 permalink
4/12/2011 8:02:51 AM

shoelessT
shoelessT
The USA Today/ESPN poll also moved FSU from 10 to 8 after losing 2 of 3 to UNC. Not sure how you move to a better ranking after losing a series at home but they did.
0 permalink
4/12/2011 8:48:31 AM

1whoknows
1whoknows
Good points by all here. I'm actually hoping the Beavs can fly under the radar and keep from moving up too high in the polls.

Better to show up at the CWS and play a team like UNC with them thinking you're going to be easy to beat.
0 permalink
4/12/2011 9:19:26 AM

FV4Heels
FV4Heels
1whoknows wrote:
Good points by all here. I'm actually hoping the Beavs can fly under the radar and keep from moving up too high in the polls.

Better to show up at the CWS and play a team like UNC with them thinking you're going to be easy to beat.
0 permalink
4/12/2011 9:20:20 AM

FV4Heels
FV4Heels
I don't think you'll have to worry about that with the Heels. We
know you're not easy to beat!

FV4Heels wrote:
1whoknows wrote:

0 permalink
4/12/2011 9:51:33 AM

BeaverQuist
BeaverQuist
FV4Heels wrote:

FV4Heels wrote:
1whoknows wrote:

That made me smile. Heels look good this year.
0 permalink
4/12/2011 11:11:39 AM

Ron
Ron
Would be fun to see another rematch. Maybe this time N Car will have some defensive answers (especially at 1st base and catcher) for the pressure OSU puts on infield defenses.

BeaverQuist wrote:
FV4Heels wrote:

FV4Heels wrote:
1whoknows wrote:

0 permalink
4/12/2011 12:16:22 PM

FV4Heels
FV4Heels
At least we wouldn't have to face Gunderson! That guy was a sidewinder from He!!

The is the best defensive team I've seen in Chapel Hill since I moved back here from Omaha (2008)! Defensively, the catcher spot is definitely the best it's been in a while. Jake does a great job behind the plate and has a canon for a arm. He is also is a timely hitter. He has to be the tallest catcher I've ever seen at 6'5"! Jessie does a great job at first base fielding and third base has been better this year. Both guys are timely hitters as well.

Ron wrote:
Would be fun to see another rematch. Maybe this time N Car will have some defensive answers (especially at 1st base and catcher) for the pressure OSU puts on infield defenses.

BeaverQuist wrote:
FV4Heels wrote:

FV4Heels wrote:
1whoknows wrote:

0 permalink
4/12/2011 3:44:29 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
who, I don't have any problem being ranked below ASU right now. If you look at Boyd's ISRs, we're still one slot below them, even though we have more wins, fewer losses, and a 3-0 head-to-head record--because our SOS is quite a bit lower (60 vs, 13). That's what happens when you play four games against Hartford. You'll also notice that Stanford is one slot below us, so this weekend at Sunken Diamond will help both teams, but more so the one who wins. IOW, big opportunity for the Beavs.

As for other polls who moved OSU up only a few slots, one problem I have with them is not where they put "my" team, but how they move teams up or down each week. Winning a series or sweeping a truly good team is only worth "a few slots" for soe of these outfits. That means that if they were clueless about how good Oregon State was last week or the week before (like most of them were), they could only move us so many inches. They don't reassess each week; they just readjust. You hear it all the time: "Well, #5 SooperDooper U got swept by unranked Scrubbs College last week, but that does not mean SooperDooper is not a gret team, so we only dropped them 6 slots."

An eye-opening sweep like Oregon State over Arizona State forced several of these outfits to move the Beavers up as many as ten slots, but that indicates that they were not paying close attention before. No problem, though. They are now.
-1 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Crazy Polls