Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Well Kendall, that's 5-1....

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/10/2011 2:41:54 PM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
You said that UNC hadn't been tested and they were playing over their heads to get such a lofty record. 5-1 now in the past two weeks in those series that you yourself said were supposed to be the measuring sticks.

29-5 overall
12-3 ACC

Top 4 in RPI, ISR, NPI, overall winning percentage, runs scored per game, yada, yada, yada

You gonna ever put them in your top 10 or are you going to wait until they're 45-8 and lose a series and then go "See, I told you I was right all along!"

Sorry, I'm going to keep giving it to you. Your opinion of that team has been ill-formed, unfounded, and not representative of the results on the field for weeks now. At some point, you're just going to have to admit they were misjudged and jump several teams in the rankings.
0 permalink
4/10/2011 2:58:36 PM

FV4Heels
FV4Heels
Actually Heels I prefer they get disrespected. Gives fuel to the fire. Going to Raleigh next weekend? Hopefully I'll be there but the wife is 8-1/2 months preggo! I am going to the midweek game against ECU!
0 permalink
4/10/2011 4:54:43 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
FV4Heels wrote:
Actually Heels I prefer they get disrespected. Gives fuel to the fire. Going to Raleigh next weekend? Hopefully I'll be there but the wife is 8-1/2 months preggo! I am going to the midweek game against ECU!

Travis,
Quit being silly my friend .... and you're going to see UNC make a huge jump this week. As in you don't have to worry about Top 10 ..... great series by your boys.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
4/10/2011 5:19:33 PM

FV4Heels
FV4Heels
Kendall,

Not raggin on you at all. I was one of those who were definitely downplaying the team this year. After last season, I was really worried how we would pitch and field, but the freshmen on the this team have really stepped up. I think this team is miles ahead defensively of the past two teams. Hopefully, at some point you'll get to see for yourself. Maybe then last week of the regular season when UVA comes calling? We've got a lot of wood to chop until then though.

Kendall wrote:
FV4Heels wrote:

Travis,
Quit being silly my friend .... and you're going to see UNC make a huge jump this week. As in you don't have to worry about Top 10 ..... great series by your boys.
0 permalink
4/10/2011 6:23:16 PM

ACC Fan
ACC Fan
The Virginia @ N. Carolina series is going to be huge. Although, the 2nd weekend of May is going to be the next big one for the standings. Miami @ Virginia and N. Carolina @ Georgia Tech. The Heels have been solid, but the season isn't over yet. I guess now that N. Carolina is going to crack the top ten you can actually start focusing on the more important ranking...the conference standings, which is currently being led by the Virginia Cavaliers.
0 permalink
4/10/2011 6:26:07 PM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
Actually, I'm not worried about the league standings at all....UVA is probably the best team in the country and they're certainly the best team in the ACC, at least right now. I just want the Heels to continue to play themselves into a national seed. That's all that matters really.
0 permalink
4/10/2011 7:15:00 PM

GTbaseball
GTbaseball
Calm down. FSU hasnt necessarily blown the doors down this year so far. UNC is looking good but come on.

UVA is the best team in the country hands down.
0 permalink
4/10/2011 7:31:35 PM

FV4Heels
FV4Heels
Agreed Heels. I would like a shot at hosting a super-regional. If we keep winning, we can't be denied that. Have some great opportunities coming up hosting Miami and UVA as well as a series at GT.

Heels2Omaha wrote:
Actually, I'm not worried about the league standings at all....UVA is probably the best team in the country and they're certainly the best team in the ACC, at least right now. I just want the Heels to continue to play themselves into a national seed. That's all that matters really.
0 permalink
4/10/2011 8:24:34 PM

rcw1126
rcw1126
GTbaseball wrote:
Calm down. FSU hasnt necessarily blown the doors down this year so far.

What a shame, then, that you don'have to play them. What a pushover they'd have been for you guys.

I don't see anyone here claiming that UNC is the number one team in the country. Rather, the contention is that the "experts" have been slow to recognize the improvement in this year's team.
0 permalink
4/10/2011 8:45:19 PM

Line Drive
Line Drive
The Heels are playing solid and will probably get a nice bump this week after a huge series win. Regardless of the polls..keep winning and we'll all take notice. Patience with the polls. The solid teams from the small conferences have to grind their way up even when they are great teams. If the Heels are as good as you say..we'll all be impressed with their post season run...
0 permalink
4/11/2011 5:48:24 PM

ACC Fan
ACC Fan
Heels2Omaha wrote:

Well, considering that there will be 2, maybe 3 national seeds from the ACC (I see 3 as unlikely), Then the standings in the conference are actually pretty big for the Tar Heels. They need to make sure they stay ahead of Ga. Tech for one thing, which means any more bad losses like Wake Forest, coupled with losses to GT and Virginia would most certainly be detrimental to a Top 8 seed. I'm pretty sure that Coach Fox is very focused on the standings and the games at hand. There is no way for the Heels to control what happens in the computer rankings, but there is a lot they can do about the standings. When you play in a conference stacked, like the ACC is this year, there is really no reason to get so flustered over the lack of respect in the polls. If N. Carolina is really a good team, then they will keep winning and they will be a top 1,2 or 3 seed in the ACC, which will most likely put them in a position to host and maybe host a Super. who cares whether Kendall or any other outlet have you ranked in the Top 10? You're there now, so let's see what happens.
0 permalink
4/11/2011 7:07:16 PM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
Well if the question is "who cares" then the natural secondary question is "why do it then". The answer of course is that fans care. If we didn't, then there wouldn't be any need to rank them at all or to have this place.

My comment about the standings was in response to your supposition that the Heels were chasing UVA. My point is that UVA isn't really a factor in what UNC does at all because they're probably the best team in the country. You're very right that Carolina's relationship to GT and FSU in the standings is paramount.

ACC Fan wrote:
Heels2Omaha wrote:

Well, considering that there will be 2, maybe 3 national seeds from the ACC (I see 3 as unlikely), Then the standings in the conference are actually pretty big for the Tar Heels. They need to make sure they stay ahead of Ga. Tech for one thing, which means any more bad losses like Wake Forest, coupled with losses to GT and Virginia would most certainly be detrimental to a Top 8 seed. I'm pretty sure that Coach Fox is very focused on the standings and the games at hand. There is no way for the Heels to control what happens in the computer rankings, but there is a lot they can do about the standings. When you play in a conference stacked, like the ACC is this year, there is really no reason to get so flustered over the lack of respect in the polls. If N. Carolina is really a good team, then they will keep winning and they will be a top 1,2 or 3 seed in the ACC, which will most likely put them in a position to host and maybe host a Super. who cares whether Kendall or any other outlet have you ranked in the Top 10? You're there now, so let's see what happens.
0 permalink
4/13/2011 5:34:50 AM

fsugeo
fsugeo
GTbaseball wrote:
Calm down. FSU hasnt necessarily blown the doors down this year so far. UNC is looking good but come on.

UVA is the best team in the country hands down.
That series win over FSU is better than anything on GT's resume and you are talking down to the Carolina fan.

FSU is 5-5 against the top three teams in the RPI. That isn't blowing "the doors" off anything, but it is pretty indicative of a good team. Four of those five losses were by one run. Three of them involved a lead in the 7th inning or later.
edited by fsugeo on 4/13/2011
0 permalink
4/13/2011 5:41:33 AM

ACC Fan
ACC Fan
Heels2Omaha wrote:
Well if the question is "who cares" then the natural secondary question is "why do it then". The answer of course is that fans care. If we didn't, then there wouldn't be any need to rank them at all or to have this place.

My comment about the standings was in response to your supposition that the Heels were chasing UVA. My point is that UVA isn't really a factor in what UNC does at all because they're probably the best team in the country. You're very right that Carolina's relationship to GT and FSU in the standings is paramount.

ACC Fan wrote:
Heels2Omaha wrote:

I guess fans get really wrapped up in the rankings. I can see why in college football, but in college basketball and baseball, they are completely irrellevent, in regards to the ultimate goal of winning a national championship. I understand that some fans like to see there team gain some national respect, when they feel it is due, I am not that way in the middle of the season. I am more concerned with my team getting hardware: Regular Season Title, Conference Tournament, Regional, Super, Omaha, National Title...these things are infinitely more important than where my team is ranked on April 1.
0 permalink
4/13/2011 5:47:26 AM

fsugeo
fsugeo
ACC Fan wrote:

I guess fans get really wrapped up in the rankings. I can see why in college football, but in college basketball and baseball, they are completely irrellevent, in regards to the ultimate goal of winning a national championship. I understand that some fans like to see there team gain some national respect, when they feel it is due, I am not that way in the middle of the season. I am more concerned with my team getting hardware: Regular Season Title, Conference Tournament, Regional, Super, Omaha, National Title...these things are infinitely more important than where my team is ranked on April 1.
Do you really think Heels2Omaha needs the lesson on rankings for college baseball and college basketball like he is some kind of newbie to this stuff?

It is a discussion point. I generally don't care about rankings, but when your team has performed better than 6-8 teams in front of them for 4-5 weeks in a row and you don't see movement, you complain.

It is really as simple as that. He understands the concept as a fan of what his team is playing for, and honestly...aren't you a BC fan? If so, the commentary on what rankings mean and what you are looking for as a fan is even more insulting.
0 permalink
4/13/2011 2:53:01 PM

ACC Fan
ACC Fan
fsugeo wrote:
ACC Fan wrote:

Do you really think Heels2Omaha needs the lesson on rankings for college baseball and college basketball like he is some kind of newbie to this stuff?

It is a discussion point. I generally don't care about rankings, but when your team has performed better than 6-8 teams in front of them for 4-5 weeks in a row and you don't see movement, you complain.

It is really as simple as that. He understands the concept as a fan of what his team is playing for, and honestly...aren't you a BC fan? If so, the commentary on what rankings mean and what you are looking for as a fan is even more insulting.

Well, it sounds like a bunch of whining to me. Not sure what your beef is? but the rankings are where they should be and you can argue that the Heels were getting sold short, but the fact is that they didn't really have a tough schedule until recently (Clemson and FSU), and prior to that they had lost a terrible series to Wake Forest. As of today they are ranked top 10 everywhere, which really means nothing considering they still would have to finish top 3 in the ACC standings or win the conference tourney to get a top 8 seed. The ACC will most likely get 2 of the 8, so the conference standings will be way more important than the umpteen different rankings that exist. N. Carolina still has to play Miami, NC State, Maryland, Georgia Tech and Virginia, everyone of these teams is capable of winning multiple games against N. Carolina, and I would predict the Heels to go 3-2 down the stretch in those series (not to mention ECU once more), which will put them right on the bubble for Hosting twice.

By the way, I am a Virginia fan, if that makes any difference to you.
0 permalink
4/13/2011 4:29:18 PM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
First off, any ACC fan that says they're only concerned with winning hardware is laughable from the jumping-off point. Nobody has done it other than Miami (and not since they were in the ACC) and Wake Forest in the 1950's. Secondly, do you really think it's plausible that a team improves by nearly 10 spots in the national rankings after going 3-1 in a single week with half the season in the books? I think it's more a correction for an under ranking condition that had been occurring for some weeks before that. In other words, I was absolutely right in what I was saying to Kendall, which was that the rankings didn't equate to what the teams had done on the field.

I certainly hope you aren't as obtuse as you appear to be on this thread. If so, I certainly hope you don't hold a degree from Mr. Jefferson's institution.

ACC Fan wrote:
fsugeo wrote:
ACC Fan wrote:

Well, it sounds like a bunch of whining to me. Not sure what your beef is? but the rankings are where they should be and you can argue that the Heels were getting sold short, but the fact is that they didn't really have a tough schedule until recently (Clemson and FSU), and prior to that they had lost a terrible series to Wake Forest. As of today they are ranked top 10 everywhere, which really means nothing considering they still would have to finish top 3 in the ACC standings or win the conference tourney to get a top 8 seed. The ACC will most likely get 2 of the 8, so the conference standings will be way more important than the umpteen different rankings that exist. N. Carolina still has to play Miami, NC State, Maryland, Georgia Tech and Virginia, everyone of these teams is capable of winning multiple games against N. Carolina, and I would predict the Heels to go 3-2 down the stretch in those series (not to mention ECU once more), which will put them right on the bubble for Hosting twice.

0 permalink
4/13/2011 6:19:38 PM

ACC Fan
ACC Fan
You can interpret my words however you like, but I'm not sure what is laughable about a fan of a team, that is #2 in the RPI and leading one of the toughest divisions in baseball, hoping the team wins a conference tournament and making it to Omaha, and possibly winning a national championship. I guess I could **** and moan that Virginia is only ranked #1 in 3 polls, as opposed to every poll in the entire world.

Heels2Omaha wrote:
First off, any ACC fan that says they're only concerned with winning hardware is laughable from the jumping-off point. Nobody has done it other than Miami (and not since they were in the ACC) and Wake Forest in the 1950's. Secondly, do you really think it's plausible that a team improves by nearly 10 spots in the national rankings after going 3-1 in a single week with half the season in the books? I think it's more a correction for an under ranking condition that had been occurring for some weeks before that. In other words, I was absolutely right in what I was saying to Kendall, which was that the rankings didn't equate to what the teams had done on the field.

I certainly hope you aren't as obtuse as you appear to be on this thread. If so, I certainly hope you don't hold a degree from Mr. Jefferson's institution.

ACC Fan wrote:
fsugeo wrote:
ACC Fan wrote:

0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Well Kendall, that's 5-1....