Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-10: Week 8 predictions

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/8/2011 11:38:32 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Posts: 2423
Day one

Oregon State 5, Arizona State 2: Sam Gaviglio pitched a complete game, throwing over 130 pitches. After giving up three hits and two runs in the first Gaviglio hunkered down and limited the high-octane Devils to six additional hits and one run over the next eight. The Beavers scratched one run in the 5th and scored four with two out on six hits in the 7th.

OSU leads series 1-0.

Arizona 5, Cal 4: Arizona came from behind 2-0 to tie the game 2-2 in the 8th, then Cal scored twice in the top of the 9th to take a 4-2 lead. In the bottom of the 9th, PH Bobby Brown doubled to left center with one out. One batter later, Josh Garcia doubled Brown and walked batter Alex Mejia to tie the game. After an intentional walk and strike out, Jett Bandy singled in the winning run.

Arizona leads series 1-0.

UCLA 3, Washington State 1: The Bruins scored alal three runs in the 3rd on a sinbgle, a walk, and two doubles. UCLA's Gerrit Cole and Washington State's Adam Conley both pitched the full nine innings, but Cole got the edge, allowing one run on five hits.

UCLA leads series 1-0.

Stanford 8, USC 1: The Cardinal broke a 0-0 tie in the 5th with four runs on five hits. Stanford finished with 17 hits versus USC's 4. Mark Appel (3-3) got the win for Stanford.

Stanford leads series 1-0.

Washington 4, Oregon 3 (14 innings): Washington led most of the game until Oregon scored single runs in the 6th and 8th to tie it at 3-3. and there it stayed for another five innings. The Ducks came close to scoring in the 10th when a runner was caught stealing home with one out and again in the 12th with two on and two out when Spencer Rogers robbed Jack Marder of a game-winning hit. In the 14th, Ty Afenir hit a two-out RBI single to score Troy Scott, who got aboard on a throwing error by the shortstop. The Ducks got the leadoff man aborad in the bottom of the inning and sacrificed him to second, but he was doubled up on a fly to RF to end the game.

Washington leads series 1-0.
0 permalink
4/8/2011 11:43:16 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Posts: 1460
Dodger Matt wrote:
  • Stanford and Oregon are most heavily favored to win this weekend. Both teams garnered unanimous 14-0 votes to beat their opponents, with the Cardinal getting 7 sweep votes compared to the Ducks' 5 sweeps.


Ducks lose in 14 innings.
0 permalink
4/9/2011 2:53:04 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Posts: 2423
Another two-out scoring rally for the Beavs. Now tied 2-2....
0 permalink
4/9/2011 4:48:19 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Posts: 2423
Wow, Mitch Lambson loads the bases and walks in the winning run.
0 permalink
4/9/2011 4:53:22 PM

Lute31
Lute31
Posts: 12
Dodger Matt wrote:
Wow, Mitch Lambson loads the bases and walks in the winning run.




Man he is not the same pitcher he was last year. Great series win for the Beavs.
0 permalink
4/9/2011 9:14:15 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Posts: 1217
And Oregon drops another one. Dam! Oops, I mean damn. Duck fans, what is going on here.
+1 permalink
4/9/2011 9:33:43 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Posts: 2423
Day two:

Oregon State 7, Arizona State 6: The Beavers notch another come-from-behind win, scoring the winning run on a bases-loaded walk in the bottom of the ninth. The Devils took a 2-0 lead in the 3rd on an Andy Workman 2-run homer. The Beavers tied it 2-2 in the bottom half, but ASU scored four runs in the 5th on 3 hits, one a three-run homer by Deven Marero. Down 6-2, the Beavers scored three in the 7th on four hits, and scored another run in the bottom of the 8th. Tied at 6 in the 9th, the Beavers put runners at the corners with one out. Closer Mitchell Lambson had started to pitch to catcher Parker Berberet, who bunt fouled in a safety squeeze attempt, then intentionally walked Berberet when it appeared the bunt was off. With the bases loaded, Lambson, who had a strikeout-to-walk ratio in excess of 7:1 coming in to today's game, walked outfielder Brian Stamps on four straight pitches. The Beavers outhit the Devils 14 to 6. Freshman right-hander Scott Schultz (2-0) pitched five full innings in relief for the win, yielding 2 hits and 2 runs. Lambson took the loss for ASU. Oregon State will go for the sweep tomorrow, which would be OSU's first ever against Arizona State, and would be the first Pac-10 sweep against the Sun Devils since 1999.

Oregon State leads series 2-0.

Cal at Arizona: Rained out. Really? They had mid-90s at night last week against the Beavers and they get rained out today? Double-header scheduled for Sunday, with the first game at 10:30am.

Arizona leads series 1-0.

UCLA 10, Washington State 3: Right-hander Trevor Bauer pitched his second complete game of the season, striking out 15 batters and walking two. Washington State tied the game 3-3, with a two-run 6th, but UCLA broke it open with a four-run 7th inning before adding three runs in the top of the 9th. The Bruins secured their first series victory at Washington State since 2005.

UCLA leads series 2-0.

USC 3, Stanford 1: Florida State transfer Austin Wood (from Niceville, FL) pitched eight full innings to beat Stanford, limiting the Cardinal to six singles and a double. Jordan Pries (4-2) took the loss.

Series tied 1-1.

Washington 3, Oregon 0 (10 innings): Oregon's scoring woes continue. Neither team could scratch a run in the game during regulation. With one out in the 10th and runners at the corners (through an error and a fielder's choice), reliever Scott McGough hit the next batter to load the bases. A safety squeeze scored the first run of the game. After a passed ball scored another run and with two out, McGough intentionally walked the next batter to load the bases again, but Troy Scott singled in the third run of the game to take a commanding 3-0 lead. Both teams finished with five hits and one error. Five of the Huskies' last eleven games have been extra-inning games. Oregon is now 0-5 in conference.

Washington leads series 2-0.
0 permalink
4/10/2011 11:44:15 AM

thorgreen
thorgreen
Posts: 29
Can't believe what Oregon is going through right now. I would really hate to hang my hat on the last series of the season to look forward to. Seems like the new bats have really affected our club at the moment.. lol. I know that is no excuse. Maybe it is time to start watching the softball team. I heard they are doing pretty good right now..
0 permalink
4/10/2011 11:47:30 AM

thorgreen
thorgreen
Posts: 29
Yeah- I have been pretty quiet these days. I will always tune in when Madison and Tyler pitch though. They seem to give the Ducks the best opportunity to score a few runs to win it.
0 permalink
4/10/2011 5:03:46 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Posts: 1460
thorgreen wrote:
Yeah- I have been pretty quiet these days. I will always tune in when Madison and Tyler pitch though. They seem to give the Ducks the best opportunity to score a few runs to win it.


Thorgreen, great win for your Ducks today. After watching OSU in Corvallis the last two days, my good Duck friend invited me to watch a game at PK Park. What a great facility.
0 permalink
4/10/2011 5:37:14 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Posts: 2423
Just one game left to finish, but I can tell you already that this is going to be among the lowest scoring weekends overall we've had since I've been doing these predictions. UW, USC, and OSU winning the series as they did and defying thee majority of voters means some really low scores. If you have been sitting on the fence and not participating in these predictions, you could jump in next week and not have your score adversely affected by this horrible weekend like most of the people who did participate this weekend. (Hint: Lute, Thor, Hammer....)
0 permalink
4/10/2011 6:00:44 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Posts: 2423
Day three:

Oregon State 9, Arizona State 6: The Beavers looked in trouble in the first when starter Ben Wetzler showed control problems. After striking out the leadoff man, Wetzler walked the second batter, hit the next, uncorked a wild pitch, and gave up an RBI single. But James Nygren came in and finished the inning. The Beavers scored two in the bottom half, but the Devils scored three more in the 2nd all via a double by Riccio Torrez. The Beavers came back again with two more in the bottom half, highlighted by Ryan Dunn's leadoff solo homer. Deven Marrero returned the leadoff homer favor in the top of the 3rd to take the lead again, 5-4. The Beavers tacked on three more in the bottom of the 3rd, thanks again to Ryan Dunn, who hit a 2 RBI double. Oregon State added single runs in the 6th and 7th innings. ASU added one in the 8th for the final score. First time Arizona State has been swept in conference play since 1999, and first time ever the Beavers have swept ASU.


Oregon State sweeps, 3-0.


Arizona 10, Cal 8 (Game 1): The Wildcats led the whole game, by 9-4 by the end of six. The Golden Bears made it close by scoring four in the 8th , but Arizona tackd on an insurance run in the bottom of the 8th. and that was all. The teams combined for 18 runs and 34 hits. Justin Jones (who needs a haircut badly, if you are looking for a good cause to donate to) took the loss for Cal. UA's Kyle Simon got the win.


Cal 17 , Arizona 7 (Game 2): Cal makes up for a frustrating weekend with three BIG innings of 4, 5, and 6 runs, plus a medium-sized inning of only 2 runs, and blast the Cats. If you like offense, the two games in Tucson today featured a total of 42 runs and 65 hits.


Arizona wins series, 2-1.


Washington State 3, UCLA 2: The Cougars avoid a sweep in dramatic last minute fashion. Trailing 2-0 entering the 9th, the first two Cougar batters singled. With one out, Taylor Ard single both runners home to tie the game. With two out and nobody on, Derek Jones tripled to center. UCLA intentionally walked senior Matt Argyropoulos to get to freshman Jason Monda, who spoiled their plans by singling to center and plating the winning run.


UCLA wins series, 2-1.


USC, Stanford: USC punches an upset series win against a Stanford team with national title hopes. The Trojans jumped to a 4-0 lead after three and added two more in the 6th. The Cardinal finally got on the board in the 8th, scoring two, but it was too litle too late. USC's Logan Odom (from Central Point, OR) pitched 7 innings for the win. Ricky Oropesa again led the Trojans, going 1 for 3 with 2 RBIs.


USC wins series, 2-1.


Oregon 9, Washington 0: The Ducks dig deep into their equipment bag and find some baseball bats just in time to avoid being swept at home by the weakest team in the conference. Oregon knocked 12 hits en route to a shutout. Danny pulfer led the Ducks, going 3 for 5 with 4 RBIs. Alex Keudell got the win for Oregon, the Ducks' first in conference play.


Washington wins series, 2-1.
0 permalink
4/10/2011 6:29:12 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Posts: 2423
Okay, some analysis.

This was one of the worst weekends in terms of voters picking the right winners and number of games. Remember, the max you can get on a series is 6 for a correctly predicted sweep or 4 for a correctly predicted 2-1 series win. Average scores above 3 indicate voters were pretty good in their predictions; in the 2-something range, they were evenly divided or the series was close; anything below 2.00 indicates an upset (or that voters were way off). So here's how the average scores went for each series this week:

ASU at OSU: 1.86
Cal at Ariz: 3.43
UCLA at WSU: 3.00
Stan at USC: 1.50
UW at Ore: 1.64

Only Arizona and UCLA were "winners" for the majority of voters. Oregon State, Washington, and most of all USC were huge losses for the "average" voter.

It is probably not surprising to most of you that, when voting in such predictions, people tend to favor their team, and therefore, when their team does well, their scores are higher on average. Contrarily, when their team does poorly, their scores typically suffer. With that in mind, here are the results for Week 8:

  • 15 Beaver1Bob
  • 14 opihi man
  • 14 SouthernBeaver
  • 13 BeaverQuist
  • 13 Dodger Matt
  • 13 OregonStateChris
  • 12 Florida Beaver
  • 11 CaughtBySparky
  • 10 2Bulldogs
  • 10 ASU74
  • 10 CdinSV
  • 10 pissproblem
  • 9 cas77
  • 6 WildCard2
The interesting thing here is that the top seven people on this list are the seven Beaver fans who participated this week. (Yes, we are still Oregon State heavy, but there have been a lot of Devil fans playing too, in the past.)
0 permalink
4/10/2011 6:35:24 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Posts: 1217
Wiining the series against a now ranked #21 Arizona last week and sweeping a now ranked #5 ASU, giving UCLA its props, should this move a now ranked #27 Oregon State into the top 15 over Cal, Arizona and Stanford? Or will the Beavs remain overlooked until after the Stanford series next weekend? What y'all think?
0 permalink
4/10/2011 7:12:02 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Posts: 1460
Dodger Matt wrote:
Okay, some analysis.

This was one of the worst weekends in terms of voters picking the right winners and number of games. Remember, the max you can get on a series is 6 for a correctly predicted sweep or 4 for a correctly predicted 2-1 series win. Average scores above 3 indicate voters were pretty good in their predictions; in the 2-something range, they were evenly divided or the series was close; anything below 2.00 indicates an upset (or that voters were way off). So here's how the average scores went for each series this week:

ASU at OSU: 1.86
Cal at Ariz: 3.43
UCLA at WSU: 3.00
Stan at USC: 1.50
UW at Ore: 1.64

Only Arizona and UCLA were "winners" for the majority of voters. Oregon State, Washington, and most of all USC were huge losses for the "average" voter.

It is probably not surprising to most of you that, when voting in such predictions, people tend to favor their team, and therefore, when their team does well, their scores are higher on average. Contrarily, when their team does poorly, their scores typically suffer. With that in mind, here are the results for Week 8:

  • 15 Beaver1Bob
  • 14 opihi man
  • 14 SouthernBeaver
  • 13 BeaverQuist
  • 13 Dodger Matt
  • 13 OregonStateChris
  • 12 Florida Beaver
  • 11 CaughtBySparky
  • 10 2Bulldogs
  • 10 ASU74
  • 10 CdinSV
  • 10 pissproblem
  • 9 cas77
  • 6 WildCard2
The interesting thing here is that the top seven people on this list are the seven Beaver fans who participated this week. (Yes, we are still Oregon State heavy, but there have been a lot of Devil fans playing too, in the past.)


DM, thanks for the quick analysis and tally of scores. I think I'll quit while I'm on top

I think that the Rivals Baseball Board was shut down, at least I am not able to access it anymore. Maybe some of the participants the last couple of years on Rivals will get involved with the Board. Regardless, I enjoy the friendly competition and your willingness to facilitate the discussion.
0 permalink
4/10/2011 8:59:50 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Posts: 1217
Yeah B1B,

Rub it in. Never saw a couple of the series winners this weekend, but it was pretty cool seeing the Beavs sweep the weekend against an awesome ASU. I tell ya, this is exciting (From an Oregon State viewpoint)
0 permalink
4/11/2011 4:54:25 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
Posts: 200
BeaverBob wrote:


I think that the Rivals Baseball Board was shut down, at least I am not able to access it anymore. Maybe some of the participants the last couple of years on Rivals will get involved with the Board. Regardless, I enjoy the friendly competition and your willingness to facilitate the discussion.


It is still up, but right now the only way I can find to access it is by a direct link.
(http://collegebaseball.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=1169&fid=2308&style=2)

Honestly though, whether it is because yahoo stupidly shot its content in the foot by having no paid baseball commentary, or because needing the link makes the average fan decide not to bother looking for it, the board is on its last leg. I still check it, but I think I am going to migrate over here now since the Pac-10 predictions are not going to remain there. Pity that BeaverBlitz is part of Rivals... it is a great site, which means I still have to be in part of that network to get the OSU content I want besides the general info from the different sports.
0 permalink
4/11/2011 7:04:32 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Posts: 1460
SouthernBeaver wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:


I think that the Rivals Baseball Board was shut down, at least I am not able to access it anymore. Maybe some of the participants the last couple of years on Rivals will get involved with the Board. Regardless, I enjoy the friendly competition and your willingness to facilitate the discussion.


It is still up, but right now the only way I can find to access it is by a direct link.
(http://collegebaseball.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=1169&fid=2308&style=2)

Honestly though, whether it is because yahoo stupidly shot its content in the foot by having no paid baseball commentary, or because needing the link makes the average fan decide not to bother looking for it, the board is on its last leg. I still check it, but I think I am going to migrate over here now since the Pac-10 predictions are not going to remain there. Pity that BeaverBlitz is part of Rivals... it is a great site, which means I still have to be in part of that network to get the OSU content I want besides the general info from the different sports.


SouthernBeaver, thanks for the link to Rivals.
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-10: Week 8 predictions





Powered by AspNetForum 6.9.9.0 © 2006-2010 Jitbit Software