Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-10: Week 7 predictions

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/1/2011 12:18:46 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
I had a very long series breakdown post that blew up into thin ether when I clicked "add new post" and am really not happy about reposting it, so here's an abridged version....

I'll be posting these prediction threads here and at the old Rivals site for a couple weeks, until everyone gets on this board. (Fewer troll sightings here.)

This week's games:
  • #27 OSU (ISR-15) at #18 Ariz (ISR-31)
  • #26 Ore (ISR-46) at #5 ASU (ISR-13)
  • #19 Stan (ISR-10) at WSU (ISR-50)
  • USC (ISR-145) at #21 Cal (ISR-11)
  • UW (ISR-199) at #20 UCLA (ISR-67)
Listed in order of importance, based on teams' records, rankings (NCBWA), and ISRs. To me the Oreson State at Arizona series should be the best, but the other Beaver State/Copper State matchup should be close behind. Wazzu was embarrassed last week by Cal, but they're playing at home and are not as bad as one might think. USC has played some tough opponents early and has been competitive. UW is still at the bottom of the barrel, and UCLA has underperformed, so that series ends up on the bottom of my list.

The reminders:
  • Vote for the team you expect to win and whether the results will be 3-0 or 2-1.
  • Pick teams in the exact order posted. This makes it easier for me to tabulate.
  • Use the team abbreviations listed in the sample below. (Again, helps me. ;-)
  • You can change your picks up until first pitch of the first game.
  • There are no prizes. We play for glory.
Points are awarded in the following manner:

Pick . . Result . . Pts.
3-0 . . . 3-0 . . . . . 6
. . . . . . 2-1 . . . . . 3
. . . . . . 1-2 . . . . . 1
. . . . . . 0-3 . . . . . 0

2-1 . . . 3-0 . . . . . 3
. . . . . . 2-1 . . . . . 4
. . . . . . 1-2 . . . . . 2
. . . . . . 0-3 . . . . . 1

Knew I'd forget something....
A sample poll would look like this:

OSU 2-1
Ore 2-1
Stan 2-1
Cal 3-0
UW 2-1
edited by Dodger Matt on 4/1/2011
0 permalink
4/1/2011 1:10:38 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
My picks for this week. I'm sitting o the fence about a couple of them, but....

OSU 2-1 (Maybe a homer pick. Maybe not. I'm betting on the Beav's strong arms and solid D, but the Cats could be looking for a little "get some" after a series loss to ASU)

ASU 2-1 (ASU's series win against 'Zona last weekend makes them a favorite over the Ducks)

WSU 2-1 (I'm thinking wazzu can pull off a home stunner against Stanford. Maybe not)

Cal 3-0 (Sorry USC. You jst do not have it to pull of a win over Cal at their house)

UCLA 2-1 (this could go either way, but UCLA had good play at USC last weekend)

Again, thanks for this DM. Gives me something to look forward to each week.
0 permalink
4/1/2011 6:07:50 AM

CaughtBySparky
CaughtBySparky
Ariz 2-1
ASU 3-0 (Danny Pulfer, you won't know what hit you)
Stan 2-1
Cal 3-0
UCLA 3-0
0 permalink
4/1/2011 7:06:51 AM

ASU74
ASU74
UA 3-0
ASU 2-1
STAN 2-1
CAL 3-0
UCLA 2-1
edited by ASU74 on 4/1/2011

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
4/1/2011 8:04:00 AM

rec1347
rec1347
OSU 3-0
ASU 2-1
WSU 2-1
CAL 2-1
UCLA 3-0
0 permalink
4/1/2011 8:30:01 AM

WildCard85
WildCard85
UA 2-1
ASU 2-1
STAN 2-1
CAL 3-0
UCLA 3-0
0 permalink
4/1/2011 9:31:49 AM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
OSU 2-1
ASU 2-1
Stan 2-1
Cal 2-1
UCLA 3-0
0 permalink
4/1/2011 3:18:03 PM

I think USC might be able to steal one from Cal, and Wazzu could take the series from the Cardinal at home in the Palouse. But these are my picks.

OSU 2-1
ASU 2-1
Stan 2-1
Cal 3-0
UCLA 3-0

I'll provide some pick analysis by this evening.
0 permalink
4/1/2011 3:51:47 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
hmm. that guest post was mine. i guess using the "quick reply" doesn't grab your user info....

Looks like we have 8 votes so far (combined with the Rivals site).
0 permalink
4/1/2011 6:08:09 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
I think that's all we'll get this week. Combined with the Rivals site, we have ten players this week. Some comments on your picks:
  • Three teams have unanimous 10-0 votes to win their series: UCLA (7 sweeps), Cal (6 sweeps), and ASU (1 sweep). [No surprise on the first two, but I thought Oregon would be much more competitive than that.]
  • Stanford is a favorite against Wazzu, 8-2 with one sweep.
  • The closest contest should be Oregon State vs. Arizona, with the Beavers garnering a negligible 6-4 edge, with one sweep voted for each side.
0 permalink
4/1/2011 11:26:07 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day one:

Arizona 18, Oregon State 0: What a horrible game. Not only was Sam Gaviglio not his sharpest (getting tagged for 4 ERs plus 6 unearned), Susac had several passed balls, the Pac-10's best defense committed 5 errors, and the Beavers couldn't get a hit or an out. Arizona had 18 hits and scored all of their runs in three innings, including 12 in the 6th. Could be a long sad weekend for the Beavers.
Arizona leads series 1-0.

ASU 5, Oregon 2: The Ducks jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the second, but the Devils tied it in the 4th and scored three more in the 5th. For the third straight season, Oregon has dropped its Pac-10 opener. In fact, they haven't won a Pac-10 opening game in over 30 years....
Arizona State leads series 1-0.

Washington State 10, Stanford 8: In another game with a big inning, the Cougs trailed 8-2 going into the 8th and scored eight earned runs against three Cardinal relievers, ruining Mark Appel's 2-run 7-inning effort.
Wazzu leads series 1-0.

USC 10, Cal 5. A game of fives: The Trojans led the entire game except for the bottom half of the fifth when the Bears scored 5 to even the score at 5-5. But USC tacked on five more, led by Ricky Oropesa, who had two homers and five RBIs.
USC leads series 1-0.

UCLA 2, Washington 1: In the day's lowest-scoring game, Washington's Aaron West went toe to toe with Gerrit Cole for five innings before giving up solo ruins in the 6th and 7th. The Huskies scored one in the eighth but no more.
UCLA leads series 1-0.
0 permalink
4/2/2011 4:57:16 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I didn't expect the Beavers to win today after being thumped yesterday, but they got a couple of homers and good pitching from Osich and win 10 to 4 over Arizona. Their defense was pretty shakey- another 3 errors and 8 total for the first two games. Susack is also having troubles catching the ball. Osich went 7 innings, the longest start of the year.
0 permalink
4/2/2011 6:39:57 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Bob, agreed. The Beavs using the long ball to take the lead was cool. And scoring 10 and limiting the Cats to 4 while still committing 3 errors was another unexpected item.

Rubber game tomorrow. Go Beavs!
0 permalink
4/2/2011 11:09:46 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Crap, I missed this at the start of the week...I've been playing golf on Lanai

FWIW my picks would have been:
OSU 2-1
ASU 3-0
Stan 2-1
Cal 2-1
UCLA 3-0
0 permalink
4/2/2011 11:23:40 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
OpihiMan wrote:

FWIW my picks would have been:
OSU 2-1
ASU 3-0
Stan 2-1
Cal 2-1
UCLA 3-0

OphiMan, it's hard to be sypmathetic to a guy playing golf in Hawaii. Although I played golf at a course in Oregon today, the temp was 38 degrees, and it either rained or hailed most of the time.
0 permalink
4/3/2011 12:35:18 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day two:

Oregon State 10, Arizona 4: Beavers break out of their scoring slump, tying the game 3-3 in the 5th with a two-out three-run homer by Ryan Barnes, then jumping ahead for good with another a two-out three-run homer by another Ryan (Ryan Dunn). The Beavers still made three errors (eight total for the two games), and the Wildcats made two of their own, so still not a well-played game.
Series tied 1-1.

ASU 3, Oregon 1: The Devils take another close game against the Ducks. Oregon halved ASU's 2-0 lead in the 7th with a sac fly that scored Aaron Jones, who tagged from third base. But ASU got the run back in the bottom half of the frame. Kramer Champlin (4-1) got the win for ASU.
Arizona State leads series 2-0.

Stanford 22, Washington State 3: Stanford made sure there would be no late-inning comeback in the cold north. Brian Ragira hit a grand slam and drove in seven, Lonnie Kauppila drove in five with six hits, and Austin Wilson went 4-for-6 with four RBIs. The game was delayed for 33 minutes, as hard snow flurries fell in the top of the fifth.
Series tied 1-1.

Cal 9, USC 2. Cal knocked out starting Trojan pitcher Austin Wood in the first, scoring 6 runs, capped by DH Austin Booker stealing home. Justin Jones pitched a complete game for Cal, scattering seven hits, allowing two runs (one earned), and striking out 12 while walking one.
Series tied 1-1.

UCLA 5, Washington 3: The Huskies led 2-0 in the first and 3-2 in the fifth, but UCLA tacked on a run in the bottom half and scored two more the next inning for the final score. Trevor Bauer recorded 10 strikeouts in eight innings to earn his team-leading fifth win. Bauer moved into a tie for second place on UCLA's career wins list (26) with Bill Brasher. He trails record-holder Alex Sanchez by one victory. Bauer also moved into ninth place on the school's all-time innings pitched list (292.1)
UCLA leads series 2-0.
0 permalink
4/3/2011 12:38:01 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
OpihiMan wrote:

BeaverBob wrote:
OphiMan, it's hard to be sypmathetic to a guy playing golf in Hawaii. Although I played golf at a course in Oregon today, the temp was 38 degrees, and it either rained or hailed most of the time.

You guys. I was driving a u-haul today, moving my sister-in-law. At least I got to listen to part of the game in the truck.
0 permalink
4/3/2011 1:12:59 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Man, what a weekend for the Beavs. The rubber match looks to be a barn burner. Who's starting on the mound tomorrow?
BTW guys, it was sunny and 85 here today. Spent the day sleeping and lazing around. I agree with BeaverBob. It's hard to feel bad for a guy in Hawaii on any day, regardless of the season. DM, it's hard to pass up on a comment like you made there about moving your Sis-in-law. But I will.
0 permalink
4/3/2011 2:58:14 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Dodger Matt wrote:
OpihiMan wrote:

BeaverBob wrote:

You guys. I was driving a u-haul today, moving my sister-in-law. At least I got to listen to part of the game in the truck.

Harsh crowd...

I'm actually moving back up to Portland mid-April, I'm looking forward to catching some games...if any of you guys can't make the games I'll help you out
0 permalink
4/3/2011 5:51:22 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day three:

Oregon State 8, Arizona 4: The Beavers jumped on Arizona starter Tyler Hale for 7 runs over 2.2 innings. The Arizona bullpen held the Beavers' bats in check for the next five innings until each team scored single runs in the ninth for the final score. OSU's freshman leftie Ben Wetzler (4-1) notched his first Pac-10 victory, going 6 IP, giving up 3 ERs, 1 K, and no walks. Oregon State's first five batters in the lineup--Michael Miller, Ryan Barnes, Danny Hayes, Andrew Susac, and Jared Norris--combined to go 9-for-20 with three doubles, four walks, and six runs batted in.
Oregon State wins series, 2-1.

Arizona State 8, Oregon 0: ASU scored in each of the first four innings and led 8-0. The Ducks couldn't get anything going offensively, managing only four hits on the day. In fact, Oregon had only three runs and 18 hits over the entire series. ASU's Jake Barrett pitched 7 innings for the win.
ASU sweeps series, 3-0.

Stanford 4, Wazzu 3: Stanford broke a scoreless tie in the 5th inning scoring one, then added three more in the 6th. The Cougars came back with two in the bottom half and added one more in the 7th, but failed in their second comeback win of the weekend. Stanford's Dean McArdle (4-0) notched the win.
Stanford wins series , 2-1.

Cal 9, USC 6: USC is not going to go as quietly this year as in 2010. After taking game one in Berkeley, the Trojans competed in both the Saturday and Sunday games as well. They led today's affair 2-0 and 4-2 before falling behind for good in the 5th 6-4. Cal's Kyle Porter, who pitched two innings in relief, got the win.
Cal wins series, 2-1.

UCLA 3, Washington 2: In the heartbreak come-from-behind-victory-denied category, Washington shows that they are improving. With surprising toughness defensively, they held UCLA again to single runs in the 5th and 7th innings, and came to the plate in the top of the 9th down 2-0. With one out and the leadoff hitter on second after a throwing error, Troy Scott hit a double to left that made it 2-1. Two batters, one more UCLA error, and a passed ball later, the Huskies had runners on second and third with two out. UW 3B Eric Peterson singled, scoring one of those runners, but the second was tagged out at the plate. In the bottom of the ninth, UCLA 1B Dean Espy singled and scored from first on Cody Regis's single to left center
UCLA sweeps series, 3-0.

Voter scores coming up.
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-10: Week 7 predictions