Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » My national seeds/hosts as of right now (3/29)

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/29/2011 11:25:58 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
I will have in-depth NCAA postseason projections and analysis beginning next Wednesday, but for now, here are the national seeds and hosts that I've come up with.

I have plenty of more RPI analysis on the premium board: http://www.perfectgame.org/Forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=2235

NATIONAL SEEDS

1. Virginia
2. Florida
3. Vanderbilt
4. South Carolina
5. Georgia Tech
6. Texas A&M
7. Fresno State
8. Florida State

OTHER REGIONAL HOSTS

North Carolina
Southern Miss
Stanford
Cal State Fullerton
Baylor
Stetson
East Carolina
TCU

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
3/29/2011 11:36:59 AM

MoreCowbell23
MoreCowbell23
If that holds true, I'd love to see Mississippi State play at Southern Miss. It's only about a 30 minute drive from my house and it would probably be a pro-MSU crowd.
0 permalink
3/29/2011 12:09:45 PM

GR
GR
MoreCowbell23 wrote:
If that holds true, I'd love to see Mississippi State play at Southern Miss. It's only about a 30 minute drive from my house and it would probably be a pro-MSU crowd.

I seriously doubt it would be pro-MSU. It would be more of a 60/40 split USM. But I too would love to see at least one other MS school in the Hattiesburg regional if there is one.
0 permalink
3/29/2011 12:15:55 PM

eagleboy415
eagleboy415
You're kidding right? You act like USM has no fanbase. It would be 75/25 USM and I can promise you they'd let some extra USM fans in and turn away a few State fans if seating was needed.
0 permalink
3/29/2011 12:59:05 PM

Puppy Dogs and Ice Cream
Puppy Dogs and Ice Cream
USM has some great fans... I always appreciated their coordinated heckling (if they still do that)
0 permalink
3/29/2011 2:45:15 PM

MoreCowbell23
MoreCowbell23
When I say pro MSU, I'm not talking about all the fans being State fans. I just think more like 55/45 or 60/40. USM has some great fans, and the guys in the outfield have always been very friendly about offering food to opposing team fans. I just think with State possibly being in a regional for the first time in a while, a lot of State fans would come to Hattiesburg. The capacity at Pete Taylor Park is 3,700 according to Wikipedia, but I assure you that the crowd would be at least double, maybe triple that if USM would let em all in.
0 permalink
3/29/2011 2:47:50 PM

eagleboy415
eagleboy415
Capacity is actually more around 5,000 seats, but also have other places people can sit. I agree there would be A LOT of State fans, but USM fans would pack out a regional final against State easily.
0 permalink
3/29/2011 2:50:49 PM

MoreCowbell23
MoreCowbell23
eagleboy415 wrote:
Capacity is actually more around 5,000 seats, but also have other places people can sit. I agree there would be A LOT of State fans, but USM fans would pack out a regional final against State easily.

Oh I agree. Plenty of fans from both teams.
0 permalink
3/29/2011 5:42:44 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Sorry Kendall. Still not beleiving your love affair with Stanford. No disrespect to a very good Stanford team, but IMHO ASU or 'Zona has a much better chance, just to talk about the top two. Oregon and Oregon State will finish higher in the Pac than what Stanford has going for them. Your prediction that a current 10-6 Stanford would be a regional host is leakin like a sieve.
0 permalink
3/29/2011 8:30:26 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Florida Beaver wrote:
Sorry Kendall. Still not beleiving your love affair with Stanford. No disrespect to a very good Stanford team, but IMHO ASU or 'Zona has a much better chance, just to talk about the top two. Oregon and Oregon State will finish higher in the Pac than what Stanford has going for them. Your prediction that a current 10-6 Stanford would be a regional host is leakin like a sieve.

I've seen Stanford, and get the feeling the Cardinal has a better offense than both Oregon and Oregon State. Time will tell which teams are better in Pac-10 play though. Should be fun!

--
0 permalink
3/30/2011 2:20:35 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
FYI Florida, as of right now ASU can't participate in postseason...you probably knew this just forgot

Here are some interesting reads concerning ASU and postseason:

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/jeffmetcalfe/122313
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/2011/03/21/20110321asu-baseball-bids-host-super-regionals-postseason.html

Florida Beaver wrote:

edited by OpihiMan on 3/30/2011
0 permalink
3/30/2011 5:38:30 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Kendall wrote:
Florida Beaver wrote:

I've seen Stanford, and get the feeling the Cardinal has a better offense than both Oregon and Oregon State. Time will tell which teams are better in Pac-10 play though. Should be fun!

Maybe so about Stanford's offense, but after yesterday's showing at home against ST MARY's, of all teams, I'd say Stanford's defense is very suspect. It's okay if you score several runs, but if you can't hold the other team to less than that, I'd say you're going to have a not so good season. Yes, they weren't using their starting pitchers, but their bull pen was horrible. Is still hold that Stanford wil end up at 5 or 6 in the Pac10. (thanks for catching my bad OpihiMan. Even with a no post season for ASU, I still say they have a better chance than Stanford of hosting a regional)
0 permalink
3/30/2011 7:01:05 PM

Out of Conference
Out of Conference
Sooners not even getting a regional? What's going on with them?
0 permalink
3/30/2011 9:52:51 PM

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
Kendall
I agree with everything in the national seeds except Fresno. Just not sure they're there yet. Couple nice wins at Oregon State and Nebraska each but their schedule is real soft imo.The other locations for the other 8 will be changing we all know as the season goes on. I think UNC is a lock at this point for a regional.They are playing really well.Love this conversation this early , it gets the blood flowing, ya' know??????????

--
Baseball is like church....many attend but few understand.
0 permalink
3/30/2011 10:29:50 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Out of Conference wrote:
Sooners not even getting a regional? What's going on with them?

Some bad losses for the Sooners right now, and their RPI has dropped significantly over the past few weeks. Still a very solid team, IMO, but certainly don't have the resume they had a few weeks ago.

--
0 permalink
3/30/2011 10:48:50 PM

jakebaseball
jakebaseball
Carolina Mike wrote:
Kendall
I agree with everything in the national seeds except Fresno. Just not sure they're there yet. Couple nice wins at Oregon State and Nebraska each but their schedule is real soft imo.The other locations for the other 8 will be changing we all know as the season goes on. I think UNC is a lock at this point for a regional.They are playing really well.Love this conversation this early , it gets the blood flowing, ya' know??????????

Does Fresnos current RPI not do it for you?
0 permalink
3/31/2011 8:56:12 AM

rec1347
rec1347
Fresno State
RPI - 5
NPI - 6
SOS - 53
9-0 record against Top 50 RPI

North Carolina
RPI - 4
NPI - 3
SOS - 31
6-0 record against Top 50 RPI

I think the Bulldogs are making a pretty good showing. I also thing their projection as being a national seed, at least this early in the season, is justified.
0 permalink
3/31/2011 11:20:32 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Carolina Mike wrote:
Kendall

Fresno definitely deserves to be a national seed. Has succeeded against a very challenging schedule. The Bulldogs actually have a high RPI and an impressive resume, more so than North Carolina, IMO.

--
0 permalink
4/2/2011 8:35:41 AM

tater head
tater head
Kendall, can Baylor still host if they don't make the tourney ??

Rock Chalk Baylor
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » My national seeds/hosts as of right now (3/29)