Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Postseason talk: Where do I stand?

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/24/2011 11:02:49 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Posts: 7538
I will have this stuff more in-depth in the weekend breakdown, but as of right now:

NATIONAL SEEDS (IF season ended today)

1. Florida
2. Virginia
3. Vanderbilt
4. Florida State
5. Fresno State
6. Georgia Tech
7. South Carolina
8. Texas A&M

OTHER HOST SITES

Stanford
North Carolina
Auburn
Texas
Baylor
LSU
Rice
East Carolina

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
3/24/2011 11:22:07 AM

Lute31
Lute31
Posts: 12
What are your thoughts on the ASU situation? I have followed it but am not 100% positive I understand it completely. Has their appeal allowed them to play in the post-season this year or is that only if they win the appeal (which I highly doubt they will)?
0 permalink
3/24/2011 12:02:00 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Posts: 7538
Lute31 wrote:
What are your thoughts on the ASU situation? I have followed it but am not 100% positive I understand it completely. Has their appeal allowed them to play in the post-season this year or is that only if they win the appeal (which I highly doubt they will)?


ASU sources told me last month they'd be surprised if the Sun Devils would be allowed to play in the postseason. The fact that ASU's athletic department is a repeat offender is going to hurt their chances, IMO.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
3/24/2011 1:47:19 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Posts: 1216
Come on Kendall! I know Stanford has played a few tough games (Away games) but really?!?! An 8-5 team picked at this point as a host? Before conference play starts? Sorry. Stanford does not have me convinced (as of right now) that they will be in the top 3 in the Pac10 or deserving of a host spot.
0 permalink
3/24/2011 2:23:59 PM

FullertonBaseballFan
FullertonBaseballFan
Posts: 146
A few tough games? Try nine out of 13 - series at Rice, Vandy and Texas, who are all projected to be regional hosts. And, that's on top of playing in a conference with about a half dozen ranked teams. Somebody out here has to host (hard to believe there will only be two but we'll see) and somebody has to win the Pac 10. Stanford is as good a guess for both of those as anybody out here at this point. OSU is a good team but it's not like they have played a world beater schedule to get to 16-5. Fresno (0-2), Long Beach (2-1 - good RPI, avg record) and ???
edited by FullertonBaseballFan on 3/24/2011
0 permalink
3/24/2011 3:30:14 PM

eagleboy415
eagleboy415
Posts: 61
Baylor?
0 permalink
3/24/2011 3:59:47 PM

Puppy Dogs and Ice Cream
Puppy Dogs and Ice Cream
Posts: 16
eagleboy415 wrote:
Baylor?


If they get their middle relief going they are going to be a very tough club to beat. Right now it's a bit like roulette with their pen.

I know this is based upon if the season ended today which Baylor's RPI is pretty decent. I'll be interested to see Kendall's in-depth breakdown on his picks
0 permalink
3/24/2011 6:32:22 PM

ACC Fan
ACC Fan
Posts: 49
Kendall wrote:
I will have this stuff more in-depth in the weekend breakdown, but as of right now:

NATIONAL SEEDS (IF season ended today)

1. Florida
2. Virginia
3. Vanderbilt
4. Florida State
5. Fresno State
6. Georgia Tech
7. South Carolina
8. Texas A&M

OTHER HOST SITES

Stanford
North Carolina
Auburn
Texas
Baylor
LSU
Rice
East Carolina


Kendall, of all the teams in the top 8...who is the biggest suprise at this stage of the season? I would say either Virginia or Ga. Tech...with the amount of players both teams lost from last years teams, neither was suppost to be as good as they have been thus far in 2011.
0 permalink
3/24/2011 7:32:05 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Posts: 1216
FullertonBaseballFan wrote:
A few tough games? Try nine out of 13 - series at Rice, Vandy and Texas, who are all projected to be regional hosts. And, that's on top of playing in a conference with about a half dozen ranked teams. Somebody out here has to host (hard to believe there will only be two but we'll see) and somebody has to win the Pac 10. Stanford is as good a guess for both of those as anybody out here at this point. OSU is a good team but it's not like they have played a world beater schedule to get to 16-5. Fresno (0-2), Long Beach (2-1 - good RPI, avg record) and ???
edited by FullertonBaseballFan on 3/24/2011


Well, it is just that Stanford has played 3 series. All away, but have lost 2 of the 3. Yes, Vandy and Texas are 2 tough teams. Rice, who is usually a very good team, is above average. But still, Stanford had almost 3 weeks off because of incliment weather. Would this not give a small advatage right now for pitcher's arms and rest from small injuries, but also it is also a disadvantage for the jelling of new meat and veterans on the field of play. I am more inclined to go with the latter. And right now, I give ASU the nod over Stanford. Let's see how they do against LBSU who have played Arizona, Oregon and Oregon State. The advantage there would also go to Stanford as LSBU have played all 3 of these P10 teams at home and this will be a road game for them. Maybe a better picture will emerge after this weekend. No homerism here. I'm not beating OSU's chest here as a top 2 or 3 contender. I'm just not convinced that Stanford is the P10 stand out this year. (I actually think Oregon is a better overall team)
0 permalink
3/24/2011 9:44:06 PM

rickybassman
rickybassman
Posts: 20
Where does Cal State Bakersfield stand? They are now 17-5 after beating Ohio State tonight 13 to 2, a team that only lost to Fresno State 3-2. Bakersfield still has quality games against Kansas State, UC Irvine, UCLA and Fresno State.
0 permalink
3/24/2011 10:05:37 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Posts: 7538
ACC Fan wrote:
Kendall wrote:
I will have this stuff more in-depth in the weekend breakdown, but as of right now:

NATIONAL SEEDS (IF season ended today)

1. Florida
2. Virginia
3. Vanderbilt
4. Florida State
5. Fresno State
6. Georgia Tech
7. South Carolina
8. Texas A&M

OTHER HOST SITES

Stanford
North Carolina
Auburn
Texas
Baylor
LSU
Rice
East Carolina


Kendall, of all the teams in the top 8...who is the biggest suprise at this stage of the season? I would say either Virginia or Ga. Tech...with the amount of players both teams lost from last years teams, neither was suppost to be as good as they have been thus far in 2011.


I'd say Georgia Tech. Just how good Virginia has been certainly is a surprise, but if you would've told me this time three months ago that the Yellow Jackets would be in national seed contention with the offense they brought back, I would've thought you were crazy. Again, as much flack as GT coach Danny Hall gets for not winning enough in the postseason, he is doing a marvelous coaching job this season, IMO.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
3/24/2011 10:06:50 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Posts: 7538
rickybassman wrote:
Where does Cal State Bakersfield stand? They are now 17-5 after beating Ohio State tonight 13 to 2, a team that only lost to Fresno State 3-2. Bakersfield still has quality games against Kansas State, UC Irvine, UCLA and Fresno State.



Bakersfield, amazingly, would be in right now in my bracket if the season ended today. RPI of 40, tough schedule, and some really nice wins. Bill Kernen just continues to do a fantastic job.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
3/25/2011 5:06:46 AM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
Posts: 81
Kendall wrote:
ACC Fan wrote:
Kendall wrote:
I will have this stuff more in-depth in the weekend breakdown, but as of right now:

NATIONAL SEEDS (IF season ended today)

1. Florida
2. Virginia
3. Vanderbilt
4. Florida State
5. Fresno State
6. Georgia Tech
7. South Carolina
8. Texas A&M

OTHER HOST SITES

Stanford
North Carolina
Auburn
Texas
Baylor
LSU
Rice
East Carolina


Kendall, of all the teams in the top 8...who is the biggest suprise at this stage of the season? I would say either Virginia or Ga. Tech...with the amount of players both teams lost from last years teams, neither was suppost to be as good as they have been thus far in 2011.


I'd say Georgia Tech. Just how good Virginia has been certainly is a surprise, but if you would've told me this time three months ago that the Yellow Jackets would be in national seed contention with the offense they brought back, I would've thought you were crazy. Again, as much flack as GT coach Danny Hall gets for not winning enough in the postseason, he is doing a marvelous coaching job this season, IMO.



I definitely agree that GT has been surprising in a very good way thus far. However, to your point about Hall, I still fully expect them to be shocking in an entirely ugly way come May. It's just happened too many times to ignore.
0 permalink
3/25/2011 7:21:02 AM

tater head
tater head
Posts: 26
Baylor hosting a regional is about the same odds the Branch Davidians had against the ATF and the FBI in 1993.

KR, hit the space bar twice if Baylor has you under a spell. We can help you break the curse but you have to send us a signal first
0 permalink
3/25/2011 9:55:42 AM

GTbaseball
GTbaseball
Posts: 103
Heels2Omaha wrote:
Kendall wrote:
ACC Fan wrote:
Kendall wrote:
I will have this stuff more in-depth in the weekend breakdown, but as of right now:

NATIONAL SEEDS (IF season ended today)

1. Florida
2. Virginia
3. Vanderbilt
4. Florida State
5. Fresno State
6. Georgia Tech
7. South Carolina
8. Texas A&M

OTHER HOST SITES

Stanford
North Carolina
Auburn
Texas
Baylor
LSU
Rice
East Carolina


Kendall, of all the teams in the top 8...who is the biggest suprise at this stage of the season? I would say either Virginia or Ga. Tech...with the amount of players both teams lost from last years teams, neither was suppost to be as good as they have been thus far in 2011.


I'd say Georgia Tech. Just how good Virginia has been certainly is a surprise, but if you would've told me this time three months ago that the Yellow Jackets would be in national seed contention with the offense they brought back, I would've thought you were crazy. Again, as much flack as GT coach Danny Hall gets for not winning enough in the postseason, he is doing a marvelous coaching job this season, IMO.



I definitely agree that GT has been surprising in a very good way thus far. However, to your point about Hall, I still fully expect them to be shocking in an entirely ugly way come May. It's just happened too many times to ignore.



WE have an excuse this year though.. we start 6 freshmen. rock on
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Postseason talk: Where do I stand?





Powered by AspNetForum 6.9.9.0 © 2006-2010 Jitbit Software