Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » The new bats make the college game much less fun

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/23/2011 8:28:16 PM

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
I personally love the new bats and think that it gets us back to the original game.The "Gorilla Ball" played for so many years, while fun to watch, is not what the game is supposed to be in my opinion.Besides putting a premium on getting on, getting over, and getting in, the biggest change is that it lets the pitchers use the whole plate as a target.They couldn't do that with the old bats cause the price was too high to pay. I think now pitchers can show their stuff and really be a pitcher in the true sense.

--
Baseball is like church....many attend but few understand.
0 permalink
3/25/2011 1:58:16 PM

varanook
varanook
Like I said above. I apologize to the purists or the people who talk about "the way the game was meant to be played". College baseball isn't that as I see it nor should it be.

The World series can't keep me awake so any other pro game is really a uninteresting. This is why i don't want college to be like the pros.
I already find myself drifting from these low scoring pitching contests and flipping the TV on to watch something else. I know it is anecdotal but i know about 5 or 6 folks in the southeastern Louisiana area who feel very similar. I don't know how that plays out nationwide though.

What I don't understand is why the college game has to be like the pro game? Many people I talk to enjoyed the college game for the higher scores and the chance that a home run could be hit by just about anyone. When a pitcher pitched a great game you sure as hell knew it. That was for sure. That wasn't a bad thing.

Maybe I am in the minority of people who like the college game and don't like the pros? I would like to hear from folks like that because I know the pro fans will watch the college game if it is like the pros.

To Kendall's point about the speed of the game attracting more people. I think the pitch clock does that without dumbing down the bats too. Pretty sure that was proven during the SEC tourney last year.
edited by varanook on 3/25/2011
0 permalink
3/25/2011 3:12:54 PM

E-Dub
E-Dub
"without dumbing down the bats too"

I think the bats have been undumbed (smartened up?). Cranked up bats that allow homers to be hit by "just about anyone" is dumbing bats down imo.

Honestly, it sounds like you don't really enjoy baseball...
0 permalink
3/25/2011 7:31:03 PM

varanook
varanook
E-Dub wrote:

I think the bats have been undumbed (smartened up?). Cranked up bats that allow homers to be hit by "just about anyone" is dumbing bats down imo.

Probably not which was why the college game interested me more.

Again, just my thoughts. Hard to believe I am alone though.
0 permalink
3/26/2011 12:00:59 PM

Yardcock96
Yardcock96
varanook wrote:
E-Dub wrote:

You are far from alone. The TV ratings prove it. ESPN didn't even bother to bid on the MLB playoffs the last time because no one watches.
0 permalink
3/26/2011 3:01:53 PM

E-Dub
E-Dub
varanook wrote:
E-Dub wrote:

I don't think you're alone, but I also have trouble believing that people who don't like professional baseball will like college ball.
0 permalink
3/27/2011 3:13:14 PM

Yardcock96
Yardcock96
E-Dub wrote:
varanook wrote:

I don't think you're alone, but I also have trouble believing that people who don't like professional baseball will like college ball.

Count me in the group that loves college ball but hasn't watched an entire MLB game in YEARS. I have watched 4 games since the last strike.
edited by Yardcock96 on 3/27/2011
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » The new bats make the college game much less fun