Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » The new bats make the college game much less fun

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/20/2011 7:01:04 AM

varanook
varanook
If i wanted to watch pro baseball low scoring pitching duels I would. Which I don't.
The NCAA ruined a good thing.
Sorry to all the baseball purists out there but the college game was interesting to a lot of folks because it wasn't the pros.
edited by varanook on 3/20/2011
0 permalink
3/20/2011 9:45:40 AM

HuskerFan31
HuskerFan31
What makes college baseball great is the atmosphere and the players' passion, not 21-14 games. Taking away a bunch of cheap hits and pop up homers makes the game better.
0 permalink
3/20/2011 10:23:17 AM

varanook
varanook
HuskerFan31 wrote:
What makes college baseball great is the atmosphere and the players' passion, not 21-14 games. Taking away a bunch of cheap hits and pop up homers makes the game better.

I can't think there are too many people out there asking for a return to those games. But this year I have seen two 1-0 games (LSU vs. UF and Tulane vs. Wichita St.) and for me personally that is a snoozefest.

I think watching the marginal players hit at a higher level wasn't all that bad. It made the game better and imho included more players.

Maybe I am wrong but it seems marginal pitchers now have an advantage.

I want to go back to last years bats, there wasn't an issue with them.
0 permalink
3/20/2011 12:45:11 PM

Well, I don't think anyone can argue that these bats aren't safer. Also, don't you think that if the NCAA keeps them, that players won't get better? I mean, don't we all grow through dealing with adversity? I think in the end it will be better for all. And I sm guessing that scouts love the bats.
0 permalink
3/20/2011 3:03:22 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Well, I don't think anyone can argue that these bats aren't safer. Also, don't you think that if the NCAA keeps them, that players won't get better? I mean, don't we all grow through dealing with adversity? I think in the end it will be better for all. And I sm guessing that scouts love the bats.

Color me a fan of the new bats. Sure, home runs are down this year, but you're forcing teams to use their heads and play some fundamental baseball with good strategy. No longer can you just "play for a HR". As much as some think the bats are shooing fans away, the pace of play will attract double the # of fans.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
3/20/2011 6:18:21 PM

Personally, there is a huge disparity between manufacturers right now. It's if some of them can't figure out how to certify to the new BBCOR standard and provide a reliable bat. I know that there has always been differences but when 10 of the 16 HR leaders are using the same brand then you have to wonder
0 permalink
3/20/2011 6:56:10 PM

Yardcock96
Yardcock96
If I wanted to watch low scoring, base to base, pitching dominated baseball- I'd watch that BS currently in spring training. The popularity of MLB is declining while NCAA baseball has been becoming more popular. NCAA baseball should strive to remain a different game from MLB and not like MLB.

There was 1 HR in the UGA-SC series and SC led the conference in HR's going in. The game was better last year. Keep the composite bats out but bring back last year's bats.
0 permalink
3/20/2011 7:32:44 PM

RoundingThirdStaff
RoundingThirdStaff
Anybody that doesn't like low scoring games doesn't really understand baseball. A 1-0 pitchers dual is the most nail biting, edge of your seat, sporting event period. In those games there is drama on every pitch...as I have said many times before...when college teams were using the minus 3's, it was the equivalent of college basketball using 9 foot high baskets. It was a joke...this year, the real hitters have emerged and small ball, speed and National League type of strategy have brought the game back to normalcy...The game has never been better. The only way it could get better is if they switch to wood permanently.
0 permalink
3/20/2011 8:43:26 PM

Neutral Arbiter
Neutral Arbiter
I would have to agree with RoundingThird. The thing I like best is that now, any team can win any game on any day. These bats provide a lot more balance to the game and for me, that is a good thing.
0 permalink
3/21/2011 10:48:33 AM

USC10266
USC10266
I like the way it is. I have seen some huge HR's hit this year so it's not like the bats can't produce. (Some hard line drives too). If a HR is hit now, you know the batter hit it right. No more cheap HR's. (unless you are James Madison and the wind is blowing out 100mph)
0 permalink
3/21/2011 10:55:14 AM

cableguy
cableguy
From my prespective I see two things different with the new bats. First of cource fewer HR but when one is hit now you don't have to guess if it's out. Second DPs the ball is not getting there as fast and I think I have seen fewer DPs and middle infielders getting to more balls in the hole for a play at first. This too is why pitching is better, less base hits.
0 permalink
3/21/2011 11:33:32 AM

RoundingThirdStaff
RoundingThirdStaff
I'd like to see the data on Double Plays. I have seen way more DP's. I think the narrower barrels are causing more ground ball outs than ever before...The exit speed is also causing less balls to get launched in the holes quicker, allowing for infielders to make the plays. That is also why you are seeing Batting averages that are way down over last year.
0 permalink
3/21/2011 11:37:15 AM

Daweez04
Daweez04
As a Beaver fan i like them, Pat Casey plays a small ball game, works perfect for the Beavs.
0 permalink
3/21/2011 12:10:45 PM

ucfalum08
ucfalum08
If you are a baseball fan then you shouldn't have a problem w/ the new bats. If you only want to watch to see HR derby and batting practice then you hate the bats. I think eventually those who complain about the new bats will find how exciting low scoring games can be.
0 permalink
3/21/2011 12:45:24 PM

E-Dub
E-Dub
I'm definitely liking the new bats. I got really tired of seeing good ptichers punished for one or two mistakes. Rather than see marginal players play up, let's celebrate good players being able to stand out. I know that most scouts are going to enjoy it, as they're not constantly trying to figure out what part of the bat the ball came off, or whether a guy like Jackie Bradley, Jr.'s power is for real.
0 permalink
3/21/2011 2:32:59 PM

BaylorGuy314
BaylorGuy314
I like the new bats. Way game was meant to be played.
0 permalink
3/22/2011 6:18:15 AM

Yardcock96
Yardcock96
RoundingThirdStaff wrote:
I'd like to see the data on Double Plays. I have seen way more DP's. I think the narrower barrels are causing more ground ball outs than ever before...The exit speed is also causing less balls to get launched in the holes quicker, allowing for infielders to make the plays. That is also why you are seeing Batting averages that are way down over last year.

Narrower barrels? The barrel size didn't change, only the exit speed.
0 permalink
3/22/2011 11:01:28 AM

BB41751
BB41751
Some year to date PAC 10 stats based on returning players:
Batting average down 3% from last year average
Runs scored down 8%
Home runs down 57%
RBIs down 6%
Slugging down 9%
Strikeouts down 2%
Base on balls up 8%
Stolen bases up 33%
Double plays down
0 permalink
3/22/2011 12:06:53 PM

6-4-3
6-4-3
I'm a big fan of the new bats. Next step wood.
0 permalink
3/22/2011 1:13:16 PM

Irvinebaseballfan
Irvinebaseballfan
Runs down 8%, but home runs down 57%. Sounds to me like a return to fundamentals. Me gusta.
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » The new bats make the college game much less fun