Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Tuesday's action -- what stood out to you?

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/16/2011 12:45:57 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
For me, a few things stood out:

* Fullerton continuing to struggle over the past week ... losing to Texas A&M with zero offense.

* TCU losing again, this time to Texas-Arlington. Something is up with the Horned Frogs.

* Florida ending its four-game losing skid to Florida State

* Arizona State's Brady Rodgers making an impressive return against Oklahoma

Other thoughts?

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
3/16/2011 3:44:34 AM

CWSOmahaGators
CWSOmahaGators
Fullerton is a team that has been a very good fielding team, refer to the 2009 CWS team which had a .976 fielding pct. However, of the last four games, CSUF has made critical errors and last night TAMU scored two unearned runs immediately after Nick Ramirez's error at 1B. Then over the weekend, CSUF made 10 errors. Not going to win a lot of games vs. SEC teams with 10 errors on the weekend. CSUF is not a team built to be able to with stand a lot of errors. I think they will be fine if they minimize fielding mistakes this weekend.

Florida beating FSU was great to see, but lets remember Florida beat FSU in Gainesville last season after losing in Tampa's Florida Four. Florida ten proceeded to lose in Jacksonville, Tallahassee, and Omaha. There is no doubt FSU has had the Gators number for the last fews years and the games in Jacksonville and Tally will be the determinants to see if Florida can get the FSU monkey off their backs.

Florida has got to stop giving up the one big inning to FSU, which they did last night. However, the difference last night is that Florida came up with big plays defensively, which led to some great ABs and an overall better approach at the plate. In tampa, FSU hit UF in the mouth and Florida then started to make fielding mistakes, and then began pressing at the plate. I felt like Florida responded to the deficit last night with much more toughness. Additionally, Sully getting fired up and letting it be known to HP umpire, Danny Everett, was smart and I think the players responded well to it.

In the UF/FSU game, Nick Maronde is the guy that stood out to me. While Daniel Pigott proved extremely tough and was clutch with 4 RBI to win the game, it was Maronde that changed the team's attitude when he stepped on the mound. When Maronde came in he was pumping strikes and showed an attack attitude, which I have not seen for the Gators against FSU in quite some time. While Maronde was pitching, I felt like the attitude and energy of the Gators completely changed. Daniel Pigott was by far the game's MVP, but I like what I saw out of Maronde.

Now it is onto Baton Rouge for the SEC opener, this series will have a college football type atmosphere this weekend. It is going to be a lot of fun.
0 permalink
3/16/2011 7:54:59 AM

BaylorGuy314
BaylorGuy314
This really isn't much national news, but Trae Davis, the highly touted freshman for Baylor, looked great in his first few outings on the year but has blown up the last few. He only pitched the first inning against FIU last night, but gave up 4 ER on 3 hits and 3 BBs. He's got the stuff, but it sure doesn't seem like he's comfortable using it all at times. Nearly cost Baylor the game yesterday...

On the plus side, a couple of other pitchers (like Max Garner) are starting to throw well for the Bears. That could offset the inconsistency of Davis but I was really thinking at one point that Davis would make the weekend rotation by the end of the year.
0 permalink
3/16/2011 8:07:58 AM

The Ghost of Dan Canevari
The Ghost of Dan Canevari
Kendall, what do you take from FIU's 5 game Texas stretch, where they were setup to take the series from A&M leading 5-2 late in the game (shouldve been 6-2 but ump made a bad call on wittels sliding into 2nd) and blowing it in the final innings..... losing in 10 innings on Friday night to A&M.... And then again, up 6-2 against baylor and give up 3 runs in the 6th and 1 in the 9th (error) to end up losing in 11 innings.

They were inches away from being 3-2, or even 4-1 in that stretch against ranked opponents.

The game they did the worst in was against Rice, who is the worst opponent they faced in that stretch. With that said, they gave up an inside the park grandslam (error) in that game.
0 permalink
3/16/2011 9:22:59 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
BaylorGuy314 wrote:
This really isn't much national news, but Trae Davis, the highly touted freshman for Baylor, looked great in his first few outings on the year but has blown up the last few. He only pitched the first inning against FIU last night, but gave up 4 ER on 3 hits and 3 BBs. He's got the stuff, but it sure doesn't seem like he's comfortable using it all at times. Nearly cost Baylor the game yesterday...

On the plus side, a couple of other pitchers (like Max Garner) are starting to throw well for the Bears. That could offset the inconsistency of Davis but I was really thinking at one point that Davis would make the weekend rotation by the end of the year.

When I saw Davis in Houston, he certainly looked the part and like a guy that was going to have a big year. He's a young guy, so he's probably just going through the motions mentally at times. I keep saying this and I'm sure you BU folks are tired of hearing it, but if BU can pitch this year, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see this team in a super regional. The Bears are going to score runs against almost everyone ... really, really like that lineup.

--
0 permalink
3/16/2011 9:25:21 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
The Ghost of Dan Canevari wrote:
Kendall, what do you take from FIU's 5 game Texas stretch, where they were setup to take the series from A&M leading 5-2 late in the game (shouldve been 6-2 but ump made a bad call on wittels sliding into 2nd) and blowing it in the final innings..... losing in 10 innings on Friday night to A&M.... And then again, up 6-2 against baylor and give up 3 runs in the 6th and 1 in the 9th (error) to end up losing in 11 innings.

They were inches away from being 3-2, or even 4-1 in that stretch against ranked opponents.

The game they did the worst in was against Rice, who is the worst opponent they faced in that stretch. With that said, they gave up an inside the park grandslam (error) in that game.

It looks like FIU didn't play bad in that road trip at all, and like you said, it had plenty of chances to win a couple of more games on the road trip. However, the Golden Panthers have to learn how to seal the deal late in games. Against Texas A&M, the relief pitching blew up late in the game and they were just dominated by Rice. FIU showed the reason why it is the favorite to win the Sun Belt Conference, but in the same breath showed why it's not an elite team right now. Consistency late in games is the key for this club.

--
0 permalink
3/16/2011 10:10:45 AM

BaylorGuy314
BaylorGuy314
You won't find any argument from me Kendall. Baylor's got a lot of "decent" depth in the pitching staff but lacks a true #2 or #3 guy. Right now, we are throwing Blank and Turley but both of those guys have had some good outingd this year and have had some bad. Need one of them to start throwing consistently well for Baylor to really do some damage. That being said, if Verrett can stay on the top of his game, he gives Baylor a chance to win a Friday night game against pretty much anyone and that can go a long way.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Tuesday's action -- what stood out to you?