Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » High School Baseball » Scouts in New Mexico?

High School Baseball Forum
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/13/2011 2:22:08 PM

Iceman
Iceman
I'm a player at Alamogordo High School in Alamogordo, NM. After what I've heard the past years haven't been great at all in terms of record or talent produced. However, we have managed to work hard and start the season 4-1 through 5 games so far. There are seniors on the Varsity team, including myself who have dreams of playing baseball past High School however we can not get scouts out to watch us perform. Any help?

Thank You,

Cody "Iceman" Z.
0 permalink
3/14/2011 9:40:52 PM

tgold
tgold
Administrator
Cody,

The best time to get looks from colleges is probably during the summer. A lot of college recruiting coordinators spend the entire summer on the road evaluating and recruiting but during the spring they're focused on their season. Travel ball is a great way to get exposure.

Another good way to be seen is to go to a showcase. I believe PG will be running a West Uncommitted Showcase for unsigned seniors in early June.

Additionally, I recommend being proactive with the recruiting process. Its tough to find players you don't know about. I would recommend filling out the recruiting questionnaire (most programs post one on their website) for schools that are at a level that you realistically believe you can be successful at. If you've got video clips or a published scouting report from a reputable source it would be a good idea to send those to the recruiting coordinator of programs you are interested in.

Remember, even if you don't have every D1 powerhouse is beating down your door, you can go on to have a long and successful career after high school...if you're willing to put in the work to make it happen.

The 16th overall pick of the 2010 draft, Hayden Simpson, came from Division II Southern Arkansas. Dodgers prospect Jerry Sands came out of Division III Catawba, and after dominating the Midwest League last year he homered in his 5th AB in big league spring training a couple of weeks ago. Kurt Suzuki was a walk-on at Cal State Fullerton who went on to win the Johnny Bench Award as the Nation's best catcher and has been a productive regular with the Oakland A's for several years now.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » High School Baseball » Scouts in New Mexico?