Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Beavers vs. Hoosiers

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 3 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
6/19/2013 12:16:56 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Game time is 5pm Pacific. The Hoosiers will be the home team.

Probable Starters: OSU LHP Matt Boyd (10-4, 2.18) vs. IND RHP Aaron Slegers (9-1, 2.13)

These stats above make them look pretty even, and they are, but if you look closer at the details, Matt Boyd has the edge. But he's also thrown quite a few pitches over the last couple weeks, so it could even out. Regardless, I don't think either pitcher will be allowed much leeway if they can't throw strikes, or if they get hit too hard too soon. I expect to see IU's bullpen come into the game early if the Beavers show any decent offense over the first four innings. If OSU is ahead by three runs after four innings and get another rally going, Slegers is probably done.

And if OSU is in the same pot WRT Boyd? Not sure they will, at least not that early. Well, maybe. If Boyd does not have a lead after six but it's close, he probably stays in until IU gets two runners on.
0 permalink
6/19/2013 12:20:47 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
(BTW, I decided to start this thread a day early because I didn't want RiverDuqk to start one and misspell "Hosiers" or to insert a "q" in "Beavers".) Green Tongue
0 permalink
6/19/2013 1:21:13 AM

beavos88
beavos88
RISP. It's all about efficiency on offense. I'm fine with the pitching. Boyd, Moore, and Wetzler. The pen is well rested. It'll come down to putting up some crooked numbers on the scoreboard.
0 permalink
6/19/2013 2:09:42 AM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
DM, your initial post is greatly appreciated. Just a bit of research on the word Hoosiers, or as RDQK, would say, Hosiers.

http://www.in.gov/history/2612.htm

RDQK, we love you.

Dodger Matt wrote:
(BTW, I decided to start this thread a day early because I didn't want RiverDuqk to start one and misspell "Hosiers" or to insert a "q" in "Beavers".) Green Tongue
0 permalink
6/19/2013 1:44:04 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Hey I know that picket fence play..
0 permalink
6/19/2013 1:46:04 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Dodger Matt wrote:
Game time is 5pm Pacific. The Hoosiers will be the home team.

Probable Starters: OSU LHP Matt Boyd (10-4, 2.18) vs. IND RHP Aaron Slegers (9-1, 2.13)

These stats above make them look pretty even, and they are, but if you look closer at the details, Matt Boyd has the edge. But he's also thrown quite a few pitches over the last couple weeks, so it could even out. Regardless, I don't think either pitcher will be allowed much leeway if they can't throw strikes, or if they get hit too hard too soon. I expect to see IU's bullpen come into the game early if the Beavers show any decent offense over the first four innings. If OSU is ahead by three runs after four innings and get another rally going, Slegers is probably done.

And if OSU is in the same pot WRT Boyd? Not sure they will, at least not that early. Well, maybe. If Boyd does not have a lead after six but it's close, he probably stays in until IU gets two runners on.

What about bringing Moore into relief? Have him pitch a bit tonight, then start wetzler if they vs the first game, then moore for the final game.
0 permalink
6/19/2013 2:03:17 PM

borgguy
borgguy
I wouldnt do that because you would have Wetzler coming in on 3 days rest when Moore would've had 5. I understand the reasoning though, of MSU has already seen Moore, so they may be able to get to him early. I said after losing game one someone would need to step up and pitch on short rest, and it may have to be Ben if we do indeed go to A.M. today. honestly dont envy coach with these decisions, but I would throw Boyd today, and hope he can get an economical 8+ innings. then Friday its Moore, then Saturday it is anyone whos arm isn't about to fall off, I might say take a page out of MSUs playbook and go 3 innings at a time with different people. I think we should have done that all year. can you imagine if teams had to face MB AM AND BW every game? and just rotate who pitches what innings

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
6/19/2013 5:35:07 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
I think it is an effective pitching scheme if you have few (or no one) starters that can go 6+ with regularity and efficiency. It also puts you in a jam if your starter gets 4 or 5 runs put on him. I noticed that MSU was 16-14 in conference. 19 of their regular season wins were in the beginning of the season non-conference. We'll see how effective it is on Friday, pending a win for OSU tonight. I think we stick with what has worked for us all year. Why change now, you Know?
+1 permalink
6/19/2013 6:11:11 PM

borgguy
borgguy
i know exactly what you are saying. I am not suggesting a complete change in strategy from what got us here... just thinking on saturday if we get that far not sure who we would have left, hence throw anyone who still has feeling in their arm.... but let us not worry about that yet.

gotta get through tonight first

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
6/19/2013 6:28:23 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
We should have plenty of arms left. Dan Child, for one, is a former weekend starter who has not seen the mound in the CWS. We have a couple of others who have started games before who can give us a few innings (Fry, Starr). THEN, we can employ the MState method if we have to.
edited by Dodger Matt on 6/19/2013
+1 permalink
6/19/2013 7:48:24 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Boyd's curveball looks filthy tonight. Unless they are looking for that pitch with two strikes, they are likely to go down swinging.
0 permalink
6/19/2013 7:59:22 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Indy has intentionally walked Double-D twice now to get to Danny Hayes, and it has paid off both times. Hope Danny makes them pay soon.
0 permalink
6/19/2013 8:02:12 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Anyone have a stream that is working for them. I really don't want to walk down to the trio..
0 permalink
6/19/2013 8:04:29 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
That extra day really will come in handy.. 5 games should be no problem for the beavs. Boyd and Wetzler seem to pitch similiar. I don't know. They just seem to nibble on the corners, and throw that nasty slider out of the zone that looks like a strike. Tough, tough to lay off.
0 permalink
6/19/2013 8:11:03 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Ha! Boyd allows two base runners total (via walks) and erases both pickoff moves!
0 permalink
6/19/2013 8:18:40 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Boyd throwing a no hitter through 3? Nice. The hosers are in trouble now! lol
edited by Riverduck on 6/19/2013
+1 permalink
6/19/2013 8:19:55 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Hendrix needs to take more pitches. Number 9 hitter should make the pitcher work. Every pitch he forces the pitcher to make increases the odds of a wild pitch or passed ball, with a runner at third. We scored one, but that was an opportunity missed.
0 permalink
6/19/2013 8:20:01 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Got that run.. All that matters. Boyd has got to be on a mission. He can single handily extend the beavs season now.
edited by Riverduck on 6/19/2013
0 permalink
6/19/2013 8:20:42 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
RD, did you check your messages?
0 permalink
6/19/2013 8:34:30 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Five hits and only one run. I'm thinking we need more than that to put this away..
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Beavers vs. Hoosiers