Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » CWS history...repeats?

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
6/11/2013 11:13:17 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
The last time the Beavers were in Omaha was 2007. A few things that happened that year...and this year:
  • In 2007, #1 seed Vanderbilt was upset at home (by Michigan). As a result, Oregon State did not face Vandy that year and in fact hosted Michigan in the super regional. This year #2 seed Vandy was upset at home by Louisville. As a result, Oregon State will not face the Commodores in the 2-3-6-7 bracket in Omaha.
  • Louisville made its first ever trip to Omaha in 2007. They are making their second trip this year.
  • The last time Mississippi State was in the CWS was...2007. This is their first trip back since then.
  • Florida State was upset at home (by MSU) in 2007. FSU was upset at home this year by Indiana.
  • Virginia lost at home in 2007 (to Oregon State) and did not advance. This year they lost at home and did not advance.
  • North Carolina beat South Carolina in the Chapel Hill super in three games in both 2007 and 2013.
  • In 2007, Oregon State thrashed North Carolina in the championship series in two games by a combined score of 20-7. In 2013...?
0 permalink
6/11/2013 11:53:31 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Dodger Matt wrote:
The last time the Beavers were in Omaha was 2007. A few things that happened that year...and this year:
  • In 2007, #1 seed Vanderbilt was upset at home (by Michigan). As a result, Oregon State did not face Vandy that year and in fact hosted Michigan in the super regional. This year #2 seed Vandy was upset at home by Louisville. As a result, Oregon State will not face the Commodores in the 2-3-6-7 bracket in Omaha.
  • Louisville made its first ever trip to Omaha in 2007. They are making their second trip this year.
  • The last time Mississippi State was in the CWS was...2007. This is their first trip back since then.
  • Florida State was upset at home (by MSU) in 2007. FSU was upset at home this year by Indiana.
  • Virginia lost at home in 2007 (to Oregon State) and did not advance. This year they lost at home and did not advance.
  • North Carolina beat South Carolina in the Chapel Hill super in three games in both 2007 and 2013.
  • In 2007, Oregon State thrashed North Carolina in the championship series in two games by a combined score of 20-7. In 2013...?
The odds of that are pretty poor.. but, my wife is completing a story of a couple who, while golfing.. the husband got a hole in one, and the next hole, his wife got a hole in one. The odds on that? Yeah. And the funny thing is both have a combined 8 holes in one..
edited by Riverduck on 6/12/2013
0 permalink
6/12/2013 1:20:50 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Holes in one.
0 permalink
6/12/2013 1:46:07 PM

borgguy
borgguy
Dodger Matt wrote:
Holes in one.

or hole in ones? since hole in one is the singular term. or is it like RBI vs RBI's because its RunS Batted In not Run Batted InS? (although i still say RBIs)

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
6/12/2013 2:29:47 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
If the term were initialized as HIO, then the plural would be HIOs. And there are many institutions that don't pluaralize those abbreviations at all, as you note: 5 RBI. That is acceptable, as you see that with SI notation: 3 mm, 5 ohm, 25 kg, 5 oz. No difference between singular and plural. But I view initialisms and acronyms differently, and I add the s for plurals. 2 TVs, four DVDs, 3 RBIs, etc.

For "HIOs" you have to remember the "thing" is the hole, not the one. Holes becomes the plural, not ones. Like sisters-in-law, attorneys-general.

Sorry for boring everyone. Now back to baseball.
+1 permalink
6/13/2013 12:17:18 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
You want to write for our paper? You are very solid my friend in the grammar world.
edited by Riverduck on 6/13/2013
0 permalink
6/13/2013 12:19:52 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Or at least brush through our small paper prior printing.
+1 permalink
6/13/2013 12:29:37 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
You can at least check it out. Basically created by my wife and I. Small town fun. http://eepurl.com/AT385
+1 permalink
6/13/2013 9:25:36 AM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
It's funny ya'll are talking about hole's in one (did I say it right). I played last saturday morning before tailgating for the LSU game and came the closest I have ever come to getting one. My ball was 10 inches from the pin. I was bragging all week to my brother about it. Then I see this couple hit them back to back. Put me back in my place.

Also, sorry to use the term "ya'll" in a thread where such grammar excellence is being discussed.
+1 permalink
6/13/2013 11:40:49 AM

borgguy
borgguy
Hedegoba88 wrote:
It's funny ya'll are talking about hole's in one (did I say it right). I played last saturday morning before tailgating for the LSU game and came the closest I have ever come to getting one. My ball was 10 inches from the pin. I was bragging all week to my brother about it. Then I see this couple hit them back to back. Put me back in my place.

Also, sorry to use the term "ya'll" in a thread where such grammar excellence is being discussed.

don't worry about y'all, it is such a lovely term. one that I picked up after visiting the south for a week 16 years ago and still use to this day, it is such a wonderful word! also you are closer to a HI1 than I am, closest Ive been was 2 feet away on a 64 yard hole at my local par3 course

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
6/13/2013 7:14:58 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Their family has 8 holes in one all time. The couple has 6 total. They golf like 36 holes a day, and live 2 miles away from a super sick course that is not crowded at all. This hole is the #3 the woman aced. http://www.elkhorngolf.com/course/
0 permalink
6/15/2013 9:08:42 PM

borgguy
borgguy
if we have a repeat of anything it is going to need to be a repeat of 2006

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
6/15/2013 11:31:42 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Yeah, I have been hard on you guys.. but, I think there are hotter teams in the CWS. Hopefully they prove me wrong. But the team they played today were hot.
edited by Riverduck on 6/15/2013
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » CWS history...repeats?