Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » South Carolina's Ray Tanner addresses Clemson

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/9/2011 12:40:48 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Pretty interesting video to say the least.... Tanner is not real happy.

http://youtu.be/TpGyQl3P3lg

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
3/9/2011 1:25:04 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Saw the video...can someone please clarify what he is getting upset about?
0 permalink
3/9/2011 5:13:43 AM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
On Sunday, after Jackie Bradley, Jr hit a 1st inning HR, Jack Leggett had the ump check the bat because the catcher said it felt 'hot'. Umps deemed it to be legal. Then after the game ended, Will Lamb a player on Clemson, claimed that one of SC's pitchers was a 'young, soft kid'.
0 permalink
3/9/2011 6:59:04 AM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
Kendall wrote:
Pretty interesting video to say the least.... Tanner is not real happy.

http://youtu.be/TpGyQl3P3lg

I find it interesting that Coach Tanner doesn't like to be "called out" yet he found it necessary to release in the media this week that UNC had "refused a challenge" by South Carolina to play a game in 2013. It's pretty hypocritical to do that when they knew full-well that Mike Fox is not going to play any team where one of his former assistant coaches is now coaching. What's good for the goose is apparently not good for the gander in Columbia.
0 permalink
3/9/2011 7:27:38 AM

USC10
USC10
i think what legget did is just a slap in the face...tanner cheating...he kicks a kid off the team every season for violating team rules. good win for the gamecocks should make tanner feel better about the situation!
edited by USC10 on 3/9/2011
0 permalink
3/9/2011 7:49:47 AM

Yardcock96
Yardcock96
Heels2Omaha wrote:
I find it interesting that Coach Tanner doesn't like to be "called out" yet he found it necessary to release in the media this week that UNC had "refused a challenge" by South Carolina to play a game in 2013. It's pretty hypocritical to do that when they knew full-well that Mike Fox is not going to play any team where one of his former assistant coaches is now coaching. What's good for the goose is apparently not good for the gander in Columbia.

Hardly the same thing. Where did you see Ray or Chad or Eric Hyman say that UNC "refused a challenge"? Sure, word leaked out this week that UNC declined to play us in 2013 and we would probably be playing NCSU instead. The beat writers that reported it sauced it up and added the refused the challenge stuff and all of that because that is how the majority our fanbase perceives the declining of the invitation. Writers have to make their stories sell. If Ray had gone on record and called out Mike Fox and said he was scared to play us or something like that you would be comparing apples to apples. Jack accused our team of cheating by challenging the bat then refused to comment on why he did it. Then one of Jack's players publicly called out one our of our players by name and said he was soft.

On a side note, I don't believe your explanation on Fox not wanting to play a team with one of his former assistants. For the record, I don't think UNC is scared to play us either. It's politics. The same reason SC for many years refused to play any sports against Coastal after they left the USC system. There is bad blood lingering from the whole ACC era and it's much higher up than Mike Fox. You can't tell me that 2 schools this close together with as much history as they have playing each other have only scheduled a handful of games in all the sports combined since we left UNC's conference and there isn't a larger reason. We played UNC in basketball countless times and how many home and homes have their been since we left the ACC? ZERO. If Dean and Eddie Fogler hadn't had their relationship, we wouldn't have had the neutral site matchups we had in the 90's. I will say that the politics stopping play seem to be more on the UNC end because we do make public the refusals to play us like this one and the one in football, etc. Politics and bad blood on our end I'm sure drive that PR train as well.
0 permalink
3/9/2011 8:13:50 AM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
Yardcock96 wrote:
Heels2Omaha wrote:

Hardly the same thing. Where did you see Ray or Chad or Eric Hyman say that UNC "refused a challenge"? Sure, word leaked out this week that UNC declined to play us in 2013 and we would probably be playing NCSU instead. The beat writers that reported it sauced it up and added the refused the challenge stuff and all of that because that is how the majority our fanbase perceives the declining of the invitation. Writers have to make their stories sell. If Ray had gone on record and called out Mike Fox and said he was scared to play us or something like that you would be comparing apples to apples. Jack accused our team of cheating by challenging the bat then refused to comment on why he did it. Then one of Jack's players publicly called out one our of our players by name and said he was soft.

On a side note, I don't believe your explanation on Fox not wanting to play a team with one of his former assistants. For the record, I don't think UNC is scared to play us either. It's politics. The same reason SC for many years refused to play any sports against Coastal after they left the USC system. There is bad blood lingering from the whole ACC era and it's much higher up than Mike Fox. You can't tell me that 2 schools this close together with as much history as they have playing each other have only scheduled a handful of games in all the sports combined since we left UNC's conference and there isn't a larger reason. We played UNC in basketball countless times and how many home and homes have their been since we left the ACC? ZERO. If Dean and Eddie Fogler hadn't had their relationship, we wouldn't have had the neutral site matchups we had in the 90's. I will say that the politics stopping play seem to be more on the UNC end because we do make public the refusals to play us like this one and the one in football, etc. Politics and bad blood on our end I'm sure drive that PR train as well.

I agree that it's not going as far, but the beat writers never would have known unless someone on the South Carolina coaching staff let it be known. They did so knowing full well how it would be interpreted and intended it as a call-out. Was it of the same magnitude? Not even close. It was a call-out though.
0 permalink
3/9/2011 10:13:18 AM

Spur-n-Omaha
Spur-n-Omaha
I was on the board just last week talking about how I respected clemson's baseball team, excluding Jack Legg. Once again this clown proves to be a whiny, classless punk who is looking for any way to bring down the gamecocks. Im so glad that Ray finally stood up and said something about his antics. Oh, and Will Lamb (aka softy) sure did back down when our soft third baseman called him out after acting like a douche on third after his triple. By the way he stuck out twice last night, once to a soft little freshman. Lost my respect for them this year by the way the handled the series this year.
edited by Spur-n-Omaha on 3/9/2011
-2 permalink
3/9/2011 11:57:03 AM

Tigers,Bia
Tigers,Bia
Lol your soft third basemen didnt do **** to Will Lamb. They were both jawing nobody backed down retard.
-2 permalink
3/9/2011 1:20:36 PM

Spur-n-Omaha
Spur-n-Omaha
haha nice try tigger. everyone in the stadium saw lamb back down after adrain showed him up. He fits in perfect in tigger town, retard. Oh and congrats and your women's volleyball win.
-1 permalink
3/10/2011 3:47:17 PM

mcrooster
mcrooster
Heels2Omaha wrote:
Yardcock96 wrote:
Heels2Omaha wrote:

I agree that it's not going as far, but the beat writers never would have known unless someone on the South Carolina coaching staff let it be known. They did so knowing full well how it would be interpreted and intended it as a call-out. Was it of the same magnitude? Not even close. It was a call-out though.

I don't think Tanner would say something like that because it would put Chad Holbrook is a tough position. I never saw that quote anywhere. Furthermore, there is no way around the fact that the UNC athletic dept. has basically blackballed USC for decades. It's been near impossible to get games in any major sports - maybe 6-8 regular season football games, 1 regular season game in baseball that I can remember, and none in basketball.
edited by mcrooster on 3/10/2011
0 permalink
3/11/2011 7:12:33 AM

jnick312
jnick312
Tigers,Bia wrote:
Lol your soft third basemen didnt do **** to Will Lamb. They were both jawing nobody backed down retard.

Haha. We beat you again Tater....you should be used to it by now. Hopefully we can meet in Omaha so we can beat you like a rented mule AGAIN.
+1 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » South Carolina's Ray Tanner addresses Clemson