Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » SEC ACC struggling

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 3 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
6/1/2013 5:28:18 AM

beavos88
beavos88
which makes me think there should be more teams from the left coast. throw in Stanford. UA.......Another UC like an Irvine. BYU ......Another WAC school. Look.......they play a lot of baseball on the left coast.........and also they surf is all. Charlie don't surf.
+1 permalink
6/1/2013 5:52:11 AM

beavos88
beavos88
Riverduck wrote:
OpihiMan wrote:
UCSB over Texas A&M...that one isn't as surprising

I watched T A@M and was impressed. Something about Checketts though

dude. UCSB was 2nd behind Fullerton State in the Big West. They are good. So are the 'stangs of slo. How abou the former baseball power in the Beach (longoria.....tulo)? They are legit. I mean c'mon. Nobody has heard of those teams but yeah. We have. Think population and weather. Socal is a hotbed for baseball talent. Horton exclusively recruits from socal. So, maybe the coverage isn't that hot but we know all the UCs (irvine, riverside, davis, etc) field good teams. state schools all have a shot like san jose state (go mark langston!), fresno state, san diego state(go bud paint it black!), cal poly, ...........the religious conference(wcc) like st. marys (go tom candyman candiotti........and von purple hayes), univ. of san francisco, santa clara, the zags, univ of san diego, loyola marymount (rip hank gathers)........and up(go coach casey)........Nocal and Socal and the west in general has a ton of talent. Don't understand the snubs at times. I mean seriously. Hawaii went to the CWS in 1980.........Hawaii has players. The reason Oregon is good? Horton has that Fullerton State recruit pipeline is all.

But, hey. Everyone loves those ACC schools.........there's so much...... i dunno........

Thanks, Lawrence Taylor.
0 permalink
6/1/2013 7:22:15 AM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
Ive said it before but I think a couple of SEC schools should have stayed home while Stanford and Arizona should have gotten in somewhere. SEC had a rough day, but even though the PAC went 4-0, they all struggled a lot against inferior competition. I will say though, and all of you know this well, that you cant judge a team on one game. I said yesterday that these smaller teams all have one really good pitcher that can compete with the big boys, and if you add that in with the nothing to lose mindset, you get upsets or close games like you saw a lot yesterday. Trust me, OSU is far better than UTSA than that score indicated yesterday. Same can be said for Oregon. LSU, etc. I think we will see some separation today and you will see a lot of these SEC teams still hanging around when the day is done.

--
91' 93' 96' 97' 00' 09' NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
0 permalink
6/1/2013 8:58:32 AM

BeaverQuist
BeaverQuist
I think it is really unfair to judge a conference based on one game. Let the talking happen when teams actually get eliminated.

I think all yesterday proved is that some of these smaller conference teams are getting better. Add that to confidence coming off their conference tournament wins and upsets can happen.

As we get deeper into the Regionals that is usually when the depth of a good team is shown.
0 permalink
6/1/2013 1:35:51 PM

beavos88
beavos88
BeaverQuist wrote:
I think it is really unfair to judge a conference based on one game. Let the talking happen when teams actually get eliminated.

I think all yesterday proved is that some of these smaller conference teams are getting better. Add that to confidence coming off their conference tournament wins and upsets can happen.

As we get deeper into the Regionals that is usually when the depth of a good team is shown.

C'mon. I'm just joking. It's the SEC and the rest of us in regards to conferences. I know that. My favorite player is Will The Thrill Clark because of that sweet swing of his and he went to Miss State. Crazy. He and Rafael Palmeiro overlapped each other at Miss State?? Crazy. The SEC is the king of heap in baseball, football, and heck........Kentucky and Vandy are super in basketball. But, seriously, right now, SEC baseball has the support. No other conference compares. LSU, South Carolina, Vandy........C'mon. There's no conference that compares. It does however get a little murky in regards to depth. And really Riverduck (who wants his ducks to have that baseball school respect) maybe right that the Pac12 is down this year in regards to depth. And beaverquist is definitely right in that we ought to wait and see the results when the dust settles. I just can't believe you need to play politics and be a part of or influence the committee to get some deserving teams in......(or in the other spectrum, influence the committee to eek in some undeserving teams). Whatever. Same as it ever was.

I want to see a Fresno State type of team take it to the house. It may be a UCSB like RD has said. ..........or a San Francisco. We'll see.
0 permalink
6/1/2013 2:35:55 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
How bout them smaller (Big) conferences? Yes, the Pac-12 went 4-0 (barely). But the Big West went 3-0, the Big East went 2-0, and the Big Ten went 2-0.
0 permalink
6/1/2013 3:53:32 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Valpo sends Florida home with a 5-4 come-from-behind victory, scoring 4 in the 7th and getting the final two outs in the 9th with Gators on second and third.
0 permalink
6/1/2013 4:11:50 PM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
Dodger Matt wrote:
Valpo sends Florida home with a 5-4 come-from-behind victory, scoring 4 in the 7th and getting the final two outs in the 9th with Gators on second and third.

Im glad Florida is done. They didn't deserve to get in anyway. Them, Alabama, and A&M should have been at the house. I love my SEC but I like to see some teams unsuccessful all the time. Kind of like how OSU fans like to see Oregon lose sometimes and vice versa.

--
0 permalink
6/1/2013 4:40:58 PM

MiamiBaseball
MiamiBaseball
LSU_Blake wrote:
Dodger Matt wrote:

Im glad Florida is done. They didn't deserve to get in anyway. Them, Alabama, and A&M should have been at the house. I love my SEC but I like to see some teams unsuccessful all the time. Kind of like how OSU fans like to see Oregon lose sometimes and vice versa.

Truth. Florida should not have been in.
0 permalink
6/2/2013 10:02:16 AM

jellafever
jellafever
SEC record through 2 days is 12-6. Only Florida has been eliminated so far.
0 permalink
6/2/2013 3:36:39 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
SEC 0-2 so far today. ACC 0-2 so far
0 permalink
6/2/2013 6:51:15 PM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
Even though I was against a few getting in, other than Florida I think the other 8 teams all showed they deserved to be there.

--
0 permalink
6/2/2013 11:24:56 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Well, if you consider their seedings and their win-loss records in the regionals, and this is not science but expectations, the SEC underperformed. Assuming a 1 seed should go 3-0, a 2 seed (at least) 2-2, 3 seeds 1-2, and 4 seeds 0-2, here’s how the top three conferences look:

Pac-12
#1 Oregon State 3-0 (met expectations)
#1 UCLA 3-0 (met expectations)
#1 Oregon 3-1 so far (underperformed)
#2 Arizona State 2-1 so far and down 5-0 to CSF after two (meeting expectations)

SEC
#1 LSU 3-0 (met expectations)
#1 South Carolina 2-0 so far (meeting expectations)
#1 Vanderbilt 2-1 so far (underperformed)
#1 Mississippi St. 2-1 so far (underperformed)
#2 Arkansas 2-2 (met expectations)
#2 Texas A&M 2-2 (met expectations)
#2 Mississippi 1-2 (underperformed)
#2 Alabama 1-2 (underperformed)
#3 Florida 0-2 (underperformed)

ACC
#1 Florida State 3-0 (met expectations)
#1 North Carolina St. 3-0 (met expectations)
#1 Virginia 3-0 (met expectations)
#1 North Carolina 2-1 so far (underperformed)
#1 Virginia Tech 2-2 (double underperformed)
#2 Georgia Tech 3-1 so far (exceeded expectations)
#2 Clemson 1-2 (underperformed)
#2 Miami 1-2 (underperformed)

Draw your own conclusions. You could hold off judgment of a few whose weekends are not over and say that a 1 seed that wins the regional, regardless of having to play more than three games, still “meets” expectations. So maybe Vandy, MSU, UNC, and Oregon will still fall into the “meets” category. But Ole Miss, Bama, Florida, Clemson, Miami, and emphatically Virginia Tech underperformed.

Actually, let’s throw the Big XII in there, even though they only had three teams: #1 K State 3-0 (met), #2 Oklahoma 3-0 (exceeded expectations), and #3 Oklahoma State 2-2 (exceeded expectations). They get the prize.

Oh wait. Sorry. There’s no prize.
+1 permalink
6/3/2013 9:56:02 AM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
Maybe we can give them a participation trophy. Thats what people do these days right?
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » SEC ACC struggling