Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Friday Starters

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/29/2013 6:29:13 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Ok.. just been announced for the ducks. I called this one. Pretty much only way we can win the regional IMO. Is win the first with Reed. I have faith in him, then Thorpe.. then Irvin. Has to happen that way IMO.
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2013/05/ncaa_baseball_right-hander_jak.html
0 permalink
5/29/2013 7:08:38 PM

borgguy
borgguy
yeah when you are a #1 seed and a national seed to boot, it would be foolish to waste your best guy on a team like S dakota st. I think Reed, Thorpe, then Irvin is a good order. even if Reed struggles, I doubt SD State has the ability to keep your bats quiet. so what if he ends up giving up 5, yall should score 8

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
5/29/2013 7:17:16 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
I prefer Casey's strategy... he hates games 4 or 5, so every game is presumed to be against the best team, reducing chances that you have to dip deeper than your starters. Not to mention it avoids screwing up a season-long routine... resting one more or one fewer day makes a difference.
0 permalink
5/29/2013 8:09:34 PM

ASU74
ASU74
Pitching off can sometimes be a trap. I would rather be the bear than the trap.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
5/30/2013 1:11:19 AM

borgguy
borgguy
SouthernBeaver wrote:
I prefer Casey's strategy... he hates games 4 or 5, so every game is presumed to be against the best team, reducing chances that you have to dip deeper than your starters. Not to mention it avoids screwing up a season-long routine... resting one more or one fewer day makes a difference.

yeah, but I know in years past he has started his saturday guy in the first game when he is a #1 seed then friday then sunday. obviously when you are not a #1 seed then you have no choice but to throw you best guy first. although I would say with the beavs it really doesnt matter, when they are on their game, Boyd, Moore and Wetzler are all extremely good, and any one of them would be good to go. I would almost say start Child on Friday this week that way you can save your best for if S H T F... but Child has been a little too iffy lately for my taste and would increase a SHTF possibility...

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
5/30/2013 2:08:33 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Here is the deal Borguy.. You start Child, and you are guaranteed to win your regional. Even if you lose.. Not too many teams have 3 quality starters to match your club. I feel your strength is in Match ups, and making your starters go the distance. I would say child, wetzler backup.. than bullpen. Then finish is off with boyd, then moore. 3-0. If Child makes it a long way, use bullpen to see how it goes.. even if you lose, you have the gauntlet to finish it off.
Oregon has been successful in this situation, and I would guess that Horton.. "The Skipper," knows what he is doing. If my memory serves me when we where on the East Coast in 2010, we had a tough opponent. I think Conneticut was actually the Host team, but a number two. We used Thorton, who was our 2 or 3 and had our 1 starter pitch the 2nd game.. so All three post season regionals, Horton has played the same card.
+1 permalink
5/31/2013 9:21:07 PM

jellafever
jellafever
Ray Tanner has always been fond of saying, "don't lose today, trying to win tomorrow".
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Friday Starters