Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Ducks vs. Cougs

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/3/2013 8:39:31 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Wazzu has tied it at 3 in the 6th.
0 permalink
5/3/2013 9:39:00 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Dodger Matt wrote:

Ducks nonchalantly score 2 in the ninth. Hmm.
0 permalink
5/3/2013 9:39:26 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Riverduck wrote:
Dodger Matt wrote:

Ducks nonchalantly score 2 in the ninth. Hmm.

Sherfy time. going for what 15?
0 permalink
5/3/2013 9:40:23 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Cleav could have finished. Time to pad the stats.
0 permalink
5/3/2013 9:43:43 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Ho hum, another day at the office. Great win Ducks!!!
0 permalink
5/3/2013 9:44:55 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Beavs win, Ducks win.. Collision course soon!
0 permalink
5/3/2013 9:46:04 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
And the uglies pull another game out in the 9th. Isn't that just a little dangerous to wait until the end of the game to win? I mean, I know it gives excitement, but what's gonna happen when a real team is 4 or 5 up on you in the 9th?
0 permalink
5/3/2013 9:51:36 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I think it was less of them pulling it out, and more of the Coug's Coug'n it yet again.
0 permalink
5/3/2013 10:05:29 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Florida Beaver wrote:
And the uglies pull another game out in the 9th. Isn't that just a little dangerous to wait until the end of the game to win? I mean, I know it gives excitement, but what's gonna happen when a real team is 4 or 5 up on you in the 9th?

It is that feeling that hey.. this team has been coming back on teams all year. Puts fear, and doubt.. and is the wild card with this team.
0 permalink
5/3/2013 10:06:34 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
We have never really mashed teams like the beavs.. you get a lead, and you usually win. We have a little more baseball science behind our brand.
0 permalink
5/3/2013 11:14:29 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Cougin' it is right. Two errors in the 9th. Oh well. Wazzu still has two more chances....
0 permalink
5/3/2013 11:23:48 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Washington mauled Arizona. Pretty dismal year for them IMO.
0 permalink
5/4/2013 5:39:47 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Riverduck wrote:
Washington mauled Arizona. Pretty dismal year for them IMO.

Ducks win series- Irvin picks up his 9th win, sherfy 16 saves, and the ducks notch win #18 in conference. I think this is the first year that we have ever beat the cougs in pullman. At least since reinstatement that is. Sherfy was up to 97 today..
0 permalink
5/4/2013 6:15:21 PM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
You ducks keep scratching those wins and ill take my 18 run wins to Omaha. Pretty soon it won't be all this conference stuff but all of us mashed together instead, then we will see who comes out on top with their " brand"

--
91' 93' 96' 97' 00' 09' NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
0 permalink
5/4/2013 8:38:09 PM

borgguy
borgguy
LSU_Blake wrote:
You ducks keep scratching those wins and ill take my 18 run wins to Omaha. Pretty soon it won't be all this conference stuff but all of us mashed together instead, then we will see who comes out on top with their " brand"

Ill take quality pitching any day of the week. if your pitcher is only giving up 1 or 2 runs a game, you dont need to be scoring 18 runs in order to win. and at the end of the day good pitching is what wins you ball games
#Defensewinschampionships

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
5/4/2013 8:55:10 PM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
borgguy wrote:
LSU_Blake wrote:

Ill take quality pitching any day of the week. if your pitcher is only giving up 1 or 2 runs a game, you dont need to be scoring 18 runs in order to win. and at the end of the day good pitching is what wins you ball games

Thats my point though. We have the great pitching as well as great hitting. We are in the Top 3 in every pitching and hitting category in the SEC. I like having a team that can win 3-2 ballgames or 10-2 ballgames. I know pitching wins you ball games, but if you cant score you struggle. Ask hogfan about Arkansas. Best freaking pitching staff in the country yet lack of hitting has cost them quite a few games this year. LSU's three starters have an era average of 2.4 and 22-2 combined record. We have a great bullpen as well. And I'm sure OU and OSU have that quality pitching as well, but what seperates LSU, UNC, and Vanderbilt from the rest of the country is that we can hit the cover off the ball and score runs.

--
91' 93' 96' 97' 00' 09' NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
0 permalink
5/5/2013 3:44:18 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Dang. I wanted to see a walkoff RBI HBP. But the Cougs tie it in the 9th. Extra innings!
0 permalink
5/7/2013 1:40:57 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
LSU_Blake wrote:
borgguy wrote:
LSU_Blake wrote:

Thats my point though. We have the great pitching as well as great hitting. We are in the Top 3 in every pitching and hitting category in the SEC. I like having a team that can win 3-2 ballgames or 10-2 ballgames. I know pitching wins you ball games, but if you cant score you struggle. Ask hogfan about Arkansas. Best freaking pitching staff in the country yet lack of hitting has cost them quite a few games this year. LSU's three starters have an era average of 2.4 and 22-2 combined record. We have a great bullpen as well. And I'm sure OU and OSU have that quality pitching as well, but what seperates LSU, UNC, and Vanderbilt from the rest of the country is that we can hit the cover off the ball and score runs.

Oregon has always had better pitching than hitting, and that has hurt them. I attribute alot of the good seasons we have had to our coaching, and the ability to get the team to win those close games. This year I have seen less reliable pitching from our starters, but our relief has been good. Five sweeps in Pac play is stellar, and we have more POW in the hitting department this year, than pretty much all years combined since I have been on this board. I think playing vandy and csf again, might yield different results. The key as well is good teams don't get swept.
0 permalink
5/7/2013 4:11:31 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Uh, good luck this weekend, RD. You're going to need it because your team's actual talent against Ohio State is not going to get you your series win.

But ponder on this. 8 games in 10 days with a lot of travel time to Ohio. How deep will that cut into your relief pitching factor next weekend? And while 5 sweeps of Pac teams is an impressive stat you also have 2 series losses. One on the road and the other at HOME! Look at your run averages on your wins. Other that a 16-3 win over ASU and a 10-4 win over Cal, you have one win by 4 runs. 16 P12 wins by no more than 3 runs and 8 of those 16 games you won by one run. 4 of your 5 losses are by one run. And how many of those one run wins come in the last 2 innings? So, the ducks play games veeeery close.

Next weekend you face an Oregon State team with one P12 series loss, who is winning by an average of 5 runs. 3rd in the nation for hits allowed, 6th in runs allowed and 4th in earned runs. A team ERA of 1.97 and 7 shutouts. Two starting pitchers with 9 wins each. To win your series next weekend, your are going to have to win waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy over your average. (BTW, Did I mention we have 7 shutouts?) And remember, for you, this will be coming off a 5 game stretch over 7 days before even stepping on the field to face the Beavs.

You have 12 games left and you have to win 7 to keep your #8 national seed. Are ya nervous?
+1 permalink
5/7/2013 7:24:18 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Well, I am impressed by your research on the ducks. That tells me that you are nervous. Yeah, we have a penchant for playing at our opponents level.. which is good and bad. For the other team. All those one run games are w's, and hard fought I might add. Most of your wins you play with a lead, are comfortable, and finish out with no sweat on your brow. Most Oregon teams don't look great on paper, but there is an intangible, a drive that forces this team to win no matter what. Yeah, we have lost a few series.. none of that matters any more. What has to happen is win the rest of their series. Period. Once we get to post season, our brand of baseball will prove to be more effective than the beavs. You can only blow out people till you face a buzz saw.. kind of like what washington and san diego did. you guys fell apart because it was close, and the team doubted themselves. So, if you think you are going to waltz into PK and sweep us.. Highly unlikely. This is a core group of individuals that won't let it happen.. All those close games do is rattle the opponent. They know that we can come back at any moment, and no game is save till that last out.
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Ducks vs. Cougs