Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » RPI - Someone teach me something

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/26/2013 9:42:38 PM

hogfan4life
hogfan4life
Ok I'm going to use UCA as an example. While I think it's cool another University from Arkansas is actually playing quality baseball, I don't understand the RPI.

According to Warren, they have two wins vs. the top 50. 17 wins (over half) have been from 200+ RPI wins. How can their RPI be so high? What part of the formula is keeping that number so high? I would think playing 200+ teams it would drop even as they win.

Ok, now the flip side to that. Arkansas has 11 wins vs. top 50 7 vs the top 25 yes they have one or two bad losses early. So two bad losses that heavily outweighs 7 wins vs the RPI top 25?

Again, admittedly I don't know the formula or how it's calculated. I'm asking just to see if someone can explain that to me? I'm sure are plenty other teams that prove both my points. These are just teams that I happen to be familiar with.
0 permalink
4/26/2013 10:16:48 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
hogfan, once I can understand what came first -- the Duck or the egg, than I can explain the RPI.

hogfan4life wrote:
Ok I'm going to use UCA as an example. While I think it's cool another University from Arkansas is actually playing quality baseball, I don't understand the RPI.

According to Warren, they have two wins vs. the top 50. 17 wins (over half) have been from 200+ RPI wins. How can their RPI be so high? What part of the formula is keeping that number so high? I would think playing 200+ teams it would drop even as they win.

Ok, now the flip side to that. Arkansas has 11 wins vs. top 50 7 vs the top 25 yes they have one or two bad losses early. So two bad losses that heavily outweighs 7 wins vs the RPI top 25?

Again, admittedly I don't know the formula or how it's calculated. I'm asking just to see if someone can explain that to me? I'm sure are plenty other teams that prove both my points. These are just teams that I happen to be familiar with.
0 permalink
4/26/2013 11:43:02 PM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
I will say that RPI is calculated 3 ways...

1. Your team record vs teams
2. The other teams record
3. The other teams opponents record

Couldnt tell you a lick about it other than that lol. But it all calculates to one beautiful number that voters at the end of the year use to seed your team along with other criteria.

--
91' 93' 96' 97' 00' 09' NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
0 permalink
4/27/2013 9:23:38 AM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
Here is a scary thought as well. On Boyds website he doesn't have his RPI needs report up. He says he found an error in his calculations and will work to fix it. Now if he isn't too sure about these types of things, how the hell are we supposed to figure it out?
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » RPI - Someone teach me something