Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Do you guys think North Carolina is legit.

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/22/2013 2:47:50 PM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
Man those guys have a gaudy record and play good ball, but they play the absolute weakest schedule of all the Top teams. Do you honestly think they will make a run to Omaha. As long as they keep playing these ACC pansies I just dont think it will have them ready like the SEC and PAC-12 prepare teams for. They dont even play FSU but they do play Virginia at the end of the season so I guess we will see. I think Virginia is the best team in the ACC though.

--
91' 93' 96' 97' 00' 09' NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
0 permalink
4/22/2013 2:52:07 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I think they are legit...but I don't think they'll go all the way, maybe even lose in the Supers depending on who comes to play them. Teams that aren't tested through some tougher competition seem to fall apart in the postseason. I also question their depth should they make it to Omaha...all it takes is a couple of those games for their bats to be silenced.
0 permalink
4/22/2013 3:36:33 PM

77tarheel
77tarheel
Is UNC's schedule really so weak as I keep hearing it being so much worse than other top teams? Is it really so out of line?

SOS from Boyd's ISRs:
UNC 62
Fullerton 18
LSU 63
Vandy 53
Ore St 16
Virginia 72
FSU 43

SOS from warrennolan's RSIs:
UNC 45
Fullerton 47
LSU 52
Vandy 44
Ore St 21
Virginia 32
FSU 23

Against top 50 from warrennolan:
UNC 19 games (17-2)
Fullerton 16 games (11-5)
LSU 16 games (14-2)
Vandy 13 games (11-2)
Ore St 10 games (5-5)
Virginia 19 games (14-5)
FSU 20 games (11-9)

Against top 100:
UNC 29 games (27-2)
Fullerton 22 games (16-6)
LSU 23 games (19-4)
Vandy 18 games (15-3)
Ore St 20 games (14-6)
Virginia 27 games (22-5)
FSU 26 games (17-9)

I'll be the first to admit that our schedule is backloaded with our toughest games looking to be our last 3 series with @#8 NCSU, @#22 GT, #3 UVA, but we have already played series with #12 Miami, #13 Clemson, @#16 Va Tech. We also have now missed star frosh Skye Bolt with a foot injury for the last 10 days, but team has pulled together for 7-0 record without him. I do expect our current 14 game win streak will end this week and just hope to finish the ACC with a 6-3 record. Hope to have Bolt back for the ACC tourney, assuming he will not make it back by UVA.
0 permalink
4/22/2013 5:44:16 PM

hogfan4life
hogfan4life
I think they are very good! But even very good teams get knocked out of regionals or super regionals. But any team that can have their record is impressive I don't care who you play. ACC had the toughest RPI last time I checked. Either way, I they are a good team but who knows if they'll make Omaha, they could run into one hot team and be done.
0 permalink
4/22/2013 6:03:41 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Would love to see a 3-peat of OSU and UNC in the CWS finals. While the Beavs have a solid strength of schedule, I imagine that if the weather in the NW was better in Februrary and March that the Beavs would not be forced to travel south to play ball and would probably play more patsies. However, it seems to be the patsies that give the Beavs troubles, as evidenced by their game today against Seattle U.
0 permalink
4/22/2013 6:15:20 PM

rcw1126
rcw1126
Whether despite or because of past history, that's a series that UNC fans would love to see played again, as well.
+1 permalink
4/22/2013 6:40:09 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
SOS is one thing. But winning that many games is still an achievement. And it will serve UNC well, as teams with gaudy winning percentages always get the best home field advantage in the postseason. So yeah, expect them to be a national seed, expect them to get a supereasy regional, expect them host a super against one of the lesser regional victors, and expect them to make it to Omaha.

Then they will face some serious competition. But so will everyone else there. So it will be even. And they can make it to the championship with a better chance than some of the other top ten teams will have had. So are they legit? Yes. Will they have a relatively easy path to Omaha? Yes. Will they make it there? Probably. Will they win the NC?

Ten percent chance. At best.
0 permalink
4/24/2013 4:43:14 AM

LSU_Blake
LSU_Blake
UNCW didn't think so

--
91' 93' 96' 97' 00' 09' NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
0 permalink
4/25/2013 5:41:52 AM

Blake,
Why are you so concerned about the Heels? You act these guys just feel off the turnip truck. Let's the boys take care of it on the field. BTW, UNCW is a top 25 team that we played during the midweek, where is BYU ranked? I've been a season ticket holder since I moved back from Omaha in 2008, and this is the absolute BEST SQUAD we've had since then!! We've always been able to pitch, but putting up runs has always been a problem especially against left handed pitching. That is not the case this season because, believe me, enough folks have tried it. We have also had a problem hitting the deep ball, but that is not a problem this season either as we have 4 guys in the heart of the order that can go yard at any time. We have 2 hitters at .390 or better and 3 more hitters at .330 or better, and 2 more just a hair under .300. These guys will make you pitch to them as our starters have 214 walks to 143 K's. We have three legit starters and we have finally found a closer. We have the deepest bullpen I've seen since I've been here. We have protection for Moran whether it be Bolt when he returns or Holbertson. BTW, I can't believe Coach Fox got that kid on campus. He is a 5 tool player, and will be the focal point of our offense for the next two seasons! The only weakness I see is at catcher, but not defensively. We are not nearly lefty dominate at the plate as we have been. The focus on this team is absolutely amazing. I think they were embarrassed last season to get eliminated in the regionals at home. BTW, just ask St Johns how much different we are from last season as we are still scoring on them. This is the best Team top to bottom I've seen in the run to Omaha that started in 2006. Okay 2006 is probably stretching with Bard and Miller on the pump. The consistency of the program over the last 7 years has been amazing! What's more, is out of those teams, this is the most consistent of the bunch. The consistency is all that more amazing seeing that we have had several games rescheduled due to the abnormally cold and wet spring we had in Chapel Hill. I don't ever remember having to play as many Dbl headers as we've had to, and we still have three series left!
0 permalink
4/25/2013 5:43:02 AM

FV4Heels
FV4Heels
77, Bolt is supposed to back right after finals for the GT series.
0 permalink
4/25/2013 7:36:43 AM

FV4Heels
FV4Heels
Wow I really butchered the grammar in that post.
0 permalink
4/25/2013 12:30:50 PM

77tarheel
77tarheel
FV4Heels wrote:
77, Bolt is supposed to back right after finals for the GT series.

FV, yes I have heard that is the (optimistic) original projection, but that just seems too quick to me as that would just be 28 days from the 4/12 date of injury. Given that there was no surgery, and that the 2nd metatarsal had a clean break, and with a dose of the history of long recoveries with foot injuries in various sports around Chapel Hill, I choose to make a more conservative or maybe pessimistic outlook on recovery times. I hope you are correct. Maybe we will know more when he gets reexamined next Monday, the 29th.
0 permalink
4/25/2013 3:37:09 PM

FV4Heels
FV4Heels
You may be right. I know Coach Fox won't bring him back on the field until he's definitely ready. That kid has way too ability to mess it up by bringing him back too soon. Coach Fox has done well by not putting the health of his players over the need to win esp. with pitching. It has served him and the Diamond Heels well over the long term.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Do you guys think North Carolina is legit.