Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Ore at ASU

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
| you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/5/2013 12:54:14 PM

ASU74
ASU74
Preview

From the Duck point of view:

The Matchup: The Ducks open an eight-game road swing this weekend when they visit No. 24 Arizona State in Tempe. Oregon swept ASU in a three-game series in Eugene during the 2012 season. The Ducks won game one 1-0 getting a four-hit shutout from starter Alex Keudell. Aaron Jones hit a solo home run to account for the only run in the game. The Ducks won game two 3-1 with Jake Reed getting the win after allowing no runs in 7.1 innings and Kyle Garlick hitting a pair of home runs. Oregon wrapped up the sweep with a 4-3 win in game three thanks to three RBI from Jones.

Oregon heads into the Arizona State series behind a pitching staff that has been strong over the first 28 games. The starters have combined for a 2.91 ERA, while the bullpen has a 2.13 ERA. Jake Reed, Cole Irvin, Tommy Thorpe and Jeff Gold have combined for 15 quality starts in the 28 games, with Reed accounting for five and Thorpe and Irvin (a true freshman) both having four. The Ducks’ bullpen has 11 saves with Jimmie Sherfy getting eight of those, Garrett Cleavinger two and Christian Jones one. Offensively, the Ducks have increased their team batting average from .224 to .249 in the last 12 games. Healy leads the squad in batting average (.345), hits (38), doubles (11), home runs (5), RBI (26) and slugging percentage (.582).

Arizona State enters the series after playing a pair of games at Wichita State on Tuesday and Wednesday. The Sun Devils will be playing their third ranked team in as many Pac-12 weekends. ASU picked up one win (4-0) in a three-game series at No. 3 Oregon State March 22-24, before taking two of three from No. 4 UCLA last weekend. The Sun Devils won games one (4-1) and two (7-4), before losing game three (12-10) in 10 innings. ASU also has a pair of wins over then No. 2 Arkansas on Feb. 28 and March 2.

From the Devil's point of view:

The Sun Devils are 11-5 all-time against Oregon and swept the Ducks last time the two teams faced off at Packard Stadium in 2011, winning 5-2, 3-1 and 8-0. ASU was swept last season in Eugene, Ore., losing 0-1, 1-3 and 3-4. Right-hander Trevor Williams went seven innings, but took the loss after striking out four and giving up three earned runs on six hits in game two of the series. Outfielder Kasey Coffman
had two hits and scored two runs in a one-run loss in the series finale.

Quick Hits
  • The Devils have five wins this season over top-10 teams, with two coming against Arkansas, one at Oregon State on March 23 and two against UCLA on March 28 and 29
  • ASU has played 12 true freshmen this season, including eight position players and four pitchers. This is the most among teams ranked in the top 25 and is tied for the seventh most in the NCAA (Tennessee leads with 17)
  • All nine of ASU's primary starting position players are local Arizona products
  • ASU is 17th on the national average attendance list, and first in Pac-12 and No. 1 on the West Coast, with an average of 2,650 fans per game.
  • The Devils did not commit an error for the second consecutive game and the fourth in the past five games, and the ninth game this season.
    Saturday Starter - LHP Ryan Kellogg:

• He has given up just five earned runs in the past 32 innings dating back to the sixth inning of his start against then-No. 2 Arkansas on March 2
  • Held a 16 consecutive scoreless-inning streak from 2nd inning against Washington St. on March 16 to 2nd inning against UCLA on March 29
  • Is the first freshman in more than 13 years to begin his career 6-0
  • 19 consecutive innings without issuing a walk, including two consecutive starts, dating back to the 6th inning against Washington St. on March 16
  • As of March 31, he ranks 2nd in WHIP (0.65), 3rd in victories (6), ninth in Div. I in hits allowed per nine innings (4.89), 28th in walks allowed per nine innings (0.98) and 47th in ERA (1.37)
  • As of April 4, he ranks 4th in the Pac-12 in ERA (1.37), first in opposing batting average (.154), ninth in innings pitched (46) and is tied for first with six wins. He also ranks fifth in walks allowed with five.

• edited by ASU74 on 4/5/2013

--
    Go Devils !!
    Fork Off
    0 permalink
    4/7/2013 4:28:59 PM

ASU74
    ASU74
    Riverduck wrote:
    At the coast.. My Wife's mom is getting bad, going to need more help from us.. Was watching online, but as you could see I was pretty bummed we did not win that first game. That was key.

Sorry to hear that. Hope things turn and your mother-in-law makes a full recovery.

Fred
    edited by ASU74 on 4/7/2013

--
    Go Devils !!
    Fork Off
    +1 permalink
    4/7/2013 8:51:47 PM

BeaverBob
    BeaverBob
    Sorry to hear about your Mother-in-law RD. We do miss you when you are not in the forum. As I've had to help two sets of aging parents over the last several years, I know how challenging it can be. You are a good Duck to help.

Riverduck wrote:
    At the coast.. My Wife's mom is getting bad, going to need more help from us.. Was watching online, but as you could see I was pretty bummed we did not win that first game. That was key.
    +1 permalink
    4/7/2013 8:54:03 PM

BeaverBob
    BeaverBob
    Speaking of RPI and of ISR, the Beavs are still number 1 in both. I'm sure their rankings will be helped with today's win over UCLA.

http://www.boydsworld.com/

hogfan4life wrote:
    Nice series win ASU. Everytime you win it helps our RPI just a tad!
    +1 permalink
    | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Ore at ASU