7/4/2012 10:40:58 PM
Even though we're in the midst of yet another holiday, the college baseball coaching carousel continues to spin like no other.
Without further ado, let's catch up on some latest scoop:
* Maryland was a little surprised a couple of weeks ago when coach Erik Bakich, who had really made some strides the past couple of seasons, made the move to Michigan and out of the ACC. It's still a little early in the Terrapins national search process, and there's still a chance interim coach Eric Milton could get the head coaching job. But here are two names to remember -- Army's Joe Sottolano and former Oklahoma State coach Frank Anderson. Sottolano has ties with Maryland athletic director Kevin Anderson and has piqued interest from other schools the past couple of seasons. Meanwhile, the Terps, sources say, are very interested in Anderson and could try to pry him away from a job he is slated to grab fairly soon. More on that later. But it'll be interesting to see which directions the Terps here. Stay tuned for sure.
* In case you missed the scoop late last night, Youngstown State is slated to hire Jacksonville State assistant coach Steve Gillispie. Gillispie has quite the resume. In addition to coaching the Gamecocks the last 10 seasons, he also spent time as a scout in the Phillies organization. On the surface, this looks like a pretty solid hire for the Penguins.
* In terms of retirements, San Jose State's Sam Piraro retired his position as the head coach of the Spartans after 25 seasons on the job. Meanwhile, the Spartans promoted assistant coach Mark O'Brien to interim coach status while SJSU sets out a national search for a new head coach. Meanwhile, sources have indicated that Middle Tennessee veteran head coach Steve Peterson is expected to retire in the coming days. Peterson has spent the last 25 seasons as the skipper for the Blue Raiders.
* Appalachian State is closing in on a new head coach after a lengthy search for a replacement for Chris Pollard. The Mountaineers have taken a hard look at assistant coach Chris Moore and former Oklahoma State assistant Billy Jones here recently. Moore spent the last two seasons on Pollard's staff at ASU, while Jones is considered to be an excellent recruiter. Those are the two names standing out right now, and a decision could soon come.
* Speaking of open jobs, UNC Greensboro has really been moving slowly with its search for a new head coach. However, there's at least one name that keeps rising to the top of the list each time I speak with sources -- Auburn electric assistant Link Jarrett. Jarrett certainly knows the land of the land having been a former East Carolina assistant coach. He's also considered a dynamic recruiter. Jarrett's name is hot and heavy right now. Meanwhile, former Georgia Tech pitching coach Tom Kinkelaar, sources say, also has applied for the open position. One source with knowledge of the situation told me earlier this week UNCG is attracting some solid names because of its commitment to facilities. One coach at a major ACC program told me this week "You'd be surprised at how good UNCG's facilities are". Stay tuned here, but Link Jarrett's name is hot.
* A big-time story to keep an eye on in the coming week is the situation at South Carolina. Sources have indicated that there's a very good chance Gamecocks head coach Ray Tanner will be be promoted/moved to the athletic director position, previously held by Eric Hyman, who's now at Texas A&M. Sources have told me on numerous occasions this is something Tanner would like to do. If that happens, look for a swift transition of associate head coach Chad Holbrook to head coach, with Sammy Esposito essentially replacing Holbrook's vacated assistant position.
* Morehead State will announce former player and current Louisburg JC coach Mike McGuire as its new head coach in the coming days. McGuire had a stint at Winthrop before coaching Louisburg last season.
* Georgia Tech parted ways with pitching coach Tom Kinkelaar a couple of weeks ago, and the Yellow Jackets are still in the lengthy process of interviewing several candidates. A couple of candidates we have confirmed with sources include UNC Wilmington assistant Jason Howell and St. John's assistant Scott Brown. Both guys, sources say, have interviewed with the Yellow Jackets. However, GT sources say more interviews will take place and that a final decision hasn't been made.
* Coastal Carolina suffered a tough blow a few weeks ago when talented recruiter Kevin Schnall decided to join Terry Rooney's staff at Central Florida, Well, the Chanticleers have kept their search for a new assistant very quiet, but we've learned that former Tennessee assistant and San Diego Padres Regional Crosschecker, Ash Lawson, is a candidate for the Chants' vacant position. Stay tuned.