Showcase : : Top Prospect List
Tournament of Stars USA Baseball
Published: Friday, June 29, 2001
Top 02 Prospects (USA) Tournament of Stars
June 18th-23rd 2001 - Joplin, MO
1. Scott Kazmir LHP 6'0/175 Cy Falls Houston, TX 91-94 another awesome performance. Also hit well and played OF well!
2. B.J. Upton SS 6'3/175 Greenbriar Chesapeake, VA Scouts seem to like him the best of everyone.
3. Sergio Santos SS 6'3/190 Mater Dei Hacienda Heights, CA Played better in Tropicana, but still outstanding.
4. Denard Span OF 6'0/170 Tampa Catholic Tampa, FL Big time tools and looks.
5. Wardell Starling OF/P 6'4/205 Elkins Missouri City, TX Hit well including long opposite field homerun off McCormick.
6. Matt Whitney 1B 6'4/185 Palm Bch Gardens P BGardens, FL Arguably the best hitter in USA.
7. Jeff Francoeur OF 6'4/200 Parkview Lilburn, GA Stud athlete, 1st round if he hits?
8. Mark McCormick RHP 6'2/185 Clear Creek Clear Lake Shore, TX 90-93 but a little straight, next to Kazmir best velocity in Joplin.
9. Mark Rosen LHP 6'0/195 Xavieran Randolph, MA Low 90s with more, he attacks hitters.
10. Tyler Greene SS 6'3/185 St Thomas Aquinas Plantation, FL All the tools, 1st round if he hits?
11. Alex Merricks LHP 6'0/175 Oxnard Oxnard, CA Low 90s lefty who can pitch.
12. Evan Meek RHP 6'1/180 Inglemoor Bothel, WA Low 90s. loose arm.
13. Adam Elliott RHP 6'1/200 Clayton Valley Concord, CA Was a bit better at Tropicana, but still low 90s and plus breaking ball.
14. Freidel Pinkston RHP 6'2/170 Hart County Harzwell, GA Low 90s very projectable.
15. Warner Jones SS 5'10/165 Montgomery Bell Nashville, TN We would have picked him, the whole package minus size.
16. James Guerrero SS 5'8/165 Fontana Fontana, CA Flat out good player, steady and spectacular in the field.
17. Mark Romanczyk LHP 6'1/170 St Mark's Newark, DE Good lefty, touches 90 mph range and can pitch.
18. Taylor Teagarden C 6'1/195 Carrollton Carrollton, TX Arguably the best catcher in Joplin.
19. Brandon Moss RHP 6'0/175 Loganville Monroe, GA Outstanding arm and a good athlete, mechanics could improve.
20. Jake Blalock SS 6'3/180 Rancho Bernardo San Diego, CA Outstanding body and strong bat. 3B may be in the future.
21. Zack Segovia RHP 6'2/210 Edgewood Forney, TX Appears to have lost some weight, looks good. Low 90s fastball and competes.
22. Justin Tordi Inf 6'3/180 Dr Phillips Orlando, FL Outstanding all-around ability.
23. Chris Gruler RHP 6'3/195 Liberty Brentwood, CA He is a much better pitcher than what he showed here.
24. Brian Hernandez C 6'0/175 J.I. Leonard Boynton Beach, FL He and Teagarden were top catchers, might have made team but injured his arm.
25. Brandon Jones 3B 6'1/185 Wewatchika Wewatchika, FL Good athlete who can rake and play the game.
26. Brad Corley RHP 6'2/185 Pleasure RidgeLouisville, KY Another fine athlete with an outstanding arm.
27. Zach Greinke 3B 6'2/190 Apopka Orlando, FL Excellent player who lacks running speed, we've seen him touch 94 on the mound.
28. Jeff Butts OF 6'0/165 Daphne Daphne, AL Maybe the top hitter at Joplin and he has more.
29. Mark Holliman RHP 6'1/185 Germantown Germantown, TN Outstanding arm, like the way he works.
30. Clint Everts RHP 6'1/175 Cy Falls Cypress, TX Very good pitcher, very good player.
TOP 03 PROSPECTS JOPLIN
1. Jordan Mayer RHP 6'3/215 Ash Alexandria, LA Don't forget the name, he is for real.
2. Chuck Tiffany LHP 6'1/175 Charter Oaks Covina, CA 03 already in the 90 mph range with more.
3. Philip Stringer SS 5'9/170 Klein Oak Spring, TX Plays more like an 01 infielder.
Keywords in this article
Player Profile Page