For the third consecutive year PETCO Park, home of the San Diego Padres, was the host venue for the ninth annual Perfect Game All-American Classic presented by Rawlings. Hits were hard to come by for the East squad as the West won the game 6-2 to pull even in the all-time series, 4-4-1.
Joey Gallo was named the game's MVP thanks to a monstrous blast to right-centerfield in the bottom of the second inning. The home run travelled 442 feet, the 10th longest of any home run hit at PETCO Park.
The West opened the game up with a four-run third inning, capped by Rio Ruiz' two-run single, which put the game out of reach. Ruiz also received consideration for MVP honors by going 1-for-1 at the plate with a pair of walks, one run scored and two driven in.
Outfielder Jameis Winston, who recorded the only hit for the East with a sharp single in the top of the fourth, had two stolen bases, including the first steal of home in the nine-year history of the Classic. The East's second run of the game came in the eighth when Nelson Rodriguez walked with the bases loaded.
All 19 pitchers that took the mound for both teams touched at least 91 mph, led by West starter Lucas Giolito's peak velocity of 97. Rodriguez won the Rawlings Home Run Derby by hitting four bombs in the final round.
As part of the Classic's annual dinner banquet, Lance McCullers, who started the game for the East, was named the Jackie Robinson Player of the Year. 16 of the 2011 participants were selected in the first round of the 2012 MLB Draft, including the Rawlings Defensive Player of the Year Carlos Correa, who became the sixth Perfect Game All-American to be selected first overall in the MLB Draft.
2011 Game Recap
2011 Box Score
2011 Event Blog
• MVP Award: Joey Gallo
• Rawlings Home Run Derby Champion: Nelson Rodriguez
• Jackie Robinson Award: Lance McCullers
• Rawlings Defensive Player of the Year: Carlos Correa
• Reebok Offensive Player of the Year: Joey Gallo
• Baseball America Pitcher of the Year: Lucas Giolito
• Perfect Game Nick Adenhart Award: Clate Schmidt
• Evoshield SWAG Award: Alex Bregman
• Stolen Bases: Jameis Winston (2)
• Runs Batted In: Rio Ruiz (2)
• Home Runs: Joey Gallo (1)
• Strikeouts: Max Fried (3 in 1 inning)
Perfect Game event profile
Perfect Game All-American Classic