2006 Aflac All-American Classic - San Diego
For the first time in four years, the Classic was played on west coast soil. A capacity crowd of more than 2,600 fans filled the seats of Tony Gwynn Stadium on the campus of San Diego State University. Those fans were treated to the highest scoring game to date, as the West team held on for a 9-8 victory. With the win, the West took a commanding 3-1 lead in the series.
The Most Valuable Player Award went to Christian Colon of Canyon High School in Anaheim Hills, CA. Colon had an impressive stat line for the game, as he went 2 for 3, walked twice, had three stolen bases and scored three runs. The West team also featured the 2006 Home Run Derby Champion Cameron Rupp. Rupp put on an impressive hitting display, as he launched seven homeruns, into the street well behind the left field wall during the finals.
The East squad was led offensively by Jason Heyward of Henry County High School in McDonough, GA. Heyward’s stat line included two hits, two walks, four stolen bases, two RBI’s and two runs scored. The 2006 Jackie Robinson Player of the Year Award was presented to the East team’s Michael Burgess of Hillsborough High School in Tampa, FL.
• MVP Award: Christian Colon
• Jackie Robinson Award: Michael Burgess
• Home Run Derby Champion: Cameron Rupp
• Hits: Josh Vitters (3), Christian Colon, Jon Gilmore, Jason Heyward, Nick Noonan (2)
• Runs: Christian Colon (3), Kentrail Davis, Jason Heyward, Josh Vitters (2)
• Runs Batted In: Josh Vitters (3), Jason Heyward (2)
• Home Runs: Robert Stock, John Tolisano (1)
• Stolen Bases: Jason Heyward (4), Christian Colon (3), Kentrail Davis (2)
• Strikeouts: Michael Main, Rick Porcello, Robert Stocks (3 in 1 inning)
Perfect Game event profile